· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - RichBowyer   For the donation...thanks! - A340   Merry Christmas :) - squirt_12   Merry Christmas! - SkarloeysMom   Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!! - 2manyfish   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Drumachine09   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Drumachine09   Cultural Diversity - Hunger - Leukemia - Lupus - Melanoma - Racial Tolerance - Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome - Self Injury - Drumachine09   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Drumachine09   Lou Gehrig's Disease (ALS) - Drumachine09   

Default Co2less planted tank.

0 Not allowed!
    As mentioned in a previous thread, chrona said you dont need co2 as long as you have ferts. I know amazon swords, and java moss/fern are good without anything special, but what else would work? Cabomba is uber-cheap here, and i can get about 10 bushels for practically nothing, cause i got connections with the LFS. Could cabombas work? What about anubias, corkscrew val, and banana plant?
    Money can't buy happiness, but it sure can pay the rent.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

thanks for good advice - hobbs   ROADTRIP! - Drumachine09   We'll need a case of these for the roadtrip, got the humvee waitin. lol - cocoa_pleco   NO plants = Sour grapes  LOL - hobbs   Wooden Spoon Protection! - Drumachine09   

0 Not allowed!
    No I said if you don't have high lighting and keep undemanding plants, then you can skip CO2/ferts. (Though growth is obviously better with them)

Basic setup:

1x 15 watt fluorescent light strip
    Gravel substrate
    java ferns
    java moss
    anubias
    Lots of rocks to attach them too (or driftwood)

If you have a rich substrate like Ecocomplete or Flourite:
    Java fern
    Java moss
    Crypts
    Hygrophila
    Some varieties of ludwigia
    Marsilea (ground cover)
    anubias

Banana plants will work as well. Cabomba will probably survive, but it'll look gangly and not full, since it prefers high light. The idea is to get a bunch of low light plants that will THRIVE in your tank, as opposed to higher light plants that just scrape by. If you want deals on plants, then browse through plantedtank.net's swap and shop section. TONS of great deals. Lot's of people will give you common plants for only the cost of shipping
    Last edited by Chrona; 04-28-2007 at 02:59 AM.
    Foshizzle.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - RichBowyer   For the donation...thanks! - A340   Merry Christmas :) - squirt_12   Merry Christmas! - SkarloeysMom   Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!! - 2manyfish   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Drumachine09   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Drumachine09   Cultural Diversity - Hunger - Leukemia - Lupus - Melanoma - Racial Tolerance - Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome - Self Injury - Drumachine09   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Drumachine09   Lou Gehrig's Disease (ALS) - Drumachine09   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrona
    No I said if you don't have high lighting and keep undemanding plants, then you can skip CO2/ferts. (Though growth is obviously better with them)

Basic setup:

1x 15 watt fluorescent light strip
    Gravel substrate
    java ferns
    java moss
    anubias
    Lots of rocks to attach them too (or driftwood)

If you have a rich substrate like Ecocomplete or Flourite:
    Java fern
    Java moss
    Crypts
    Hygrophila
    Some varieties of ludwigia
    Marsilea (ground cover)
    anubias

Banana plants will work as well. Cabomba will probably survive, but it'll look gangly and not full, since it prefers high light. The idea is to get a bunch of low light plants that will THRIVE in your tank, as opposed to higher light plants that just scrape by. If you want deals on plants, then browse through plantedtank.net's swap and shop section. TONS of great deals. Lot's of people will give you common plants for only the cost of shipping

Ok, im making some money latley, and i think i can afford to shell out for 10-15 lbs of eco complete, some plants and such. i have the one strip light. Is there a special bulb i need too? I am really jealous of the planted tanks.

What would we do without chrona? Not have planted tanks!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

thanks for good advice - hobbs   ROADTRIP! - Drumachine09   We'll need a case of these for the roadtrip, got the humvee waitin. lol - cocoa_pleco   NO plants = Sour grapes  LOL - hobbs   Wooden Spoon Protection! - Drumachine09   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumachine09
    Ok, im making some money latley, and i think i can afford to shell out for 10-15 lbs of eco complete, some plants and such. i have the one strip light. Is there a special bulb i need too? I am really jealous of the planted tanks.

What would we do without chrona? Not have planted tanks!
    Is the strip light an AGA one? They come with 9000ish K bulbs, which will work fine. Basically as long as it doesn't have a yellowish tint to it, it's ok.

And if it's more than a year and a half old, then I'd replace it. Don't bother with the fancy plant gro bulbs. The normal daylight 6700k full spectrum bulbs work fine. Should be a few bucks.

Mm, let's see....perhaps have to look it all up yourself?
    Foshizzle.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Mm, let's see....perhaps have to look it all up yourself?
    Its AGA.

And put you out of work? NEVER! lol

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Btw, don't have TOO high of expectations. Those amazing tanks you see in the pictures all have quite a bit of lighting, a strict fertilization schedule, pressurized CO2, ADA Aquasoil, etc, etc. So while your tank will probably not be breathtaking, it certainly can look nice. And should you decide to upgrade lighting/co2/ferts in the future, it's just an easy transition.

Just a disclaimer, lol.
    Foshizzle.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Btw, don't have TOO high of expectations. Those amazing tanks you see in the pictures all have quite a bit of lighting, a strict fertilization schedule, pressurized CO2, ADA Aquasoil, etc, etc. So while your tank will probably not be breathtaking, it certainly can look nice. And should you decide to upgrade lighting/co2/ferts in the future, it's just an easy transition.

Just a disclaimer, lol.

I read it really fast, kinda like they do on TV disclaimers.

I know it wont look THAT good, but i imagine i could get it to look decent by my standards at least.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I read it really fast, kinda like they do on TV disclaimers.

I know it wont look THAT good, but i imagine i could get it to look decent by my standards at least.
    kk, lemme know if you run into anything :)

Btw, make sure that the bag of Eco (if you get it) doesn't look milky brown or whitish. There was some reports of contaminated bags that leeched phosphates, but they fixed that problem. As long as you don't buy from a store that has had their bag sitting there for months, you should be fine.
    Foshizzle.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    kk, lemme know if you run into anything :)

Btw, make sure that the bag of Eco (if you get it) doesn't look milky brown or whitish. There was some reports of contaminated bags that leeched phosphates, but they fixed that problem. As long as you don't buy from a store that has had their bag sitting there for months, you should be fine.
    Alright cool. I sold some un needed paintball stuff, so i should be getting another $40 tommorow, to add to my 22$, and if i wait another week, ill get another 30, and i might possibly get rid of another paintball gun which would be 75, so my budget will be fat. Just got to do everything right and not screw it up.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Alright cool. I sold some un needed paintball stuff, so i should be getting another $40 tommorow, to add to my 22$, and if i wait another week, ill get another 30, and i might possibly get rid of another paintball gun which would be 75, so my budget will be fat. Just got to do everything right and not screw it up.
    I like that way of thinking :)

The substrate is the hardest thing to replace in a tank. Take it from experience, it's well worth it to invest in a good one right off the bat instead of sticking your fish in a bucket for 2 hours while you remove the clown puke and put in Flourite and do repeated water changes to get it clean again, lol.
    Foshizzle.