· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Eheim Classic Canister & Buzzing Noise

0 Not allowed!
    Hi,

We just got our new Eheim Classic 2213 canister running on a 30 gallon long tank. We bought it because filter noise is a pet-peeve, and many people have said in the reviews that the Classic is so quiet they had to touch it or put their ear next to it to even tell if it's running. This one, though, has a standard motor hum. Unfortunately, it's a couple inches too tall to fit in our aquarium cabinet (it has an immovable center shelf). I have a couple towels and a couple iron skillets (when I put pressure on the top the noise is less, when I let go it is louder, so I put those for weight), which has reduced it to an ok sound level, but not completely great for us.

Does anyone know if putting the towels & weight is a bad idea for any reason? Any other suggestions on having it be quieter? It is not a grinding sound (it doesn't sound like sand or air, but it sounds like a motor running).

Thank you!
    Last edited by SamandAnne; 01-21-2010 at 05:13 AM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks and your first gift!! - The Red Severum   Eggs woo hoo!!! - Gayle   My new buddy.  LOL - Lady Hobbs   because you're always there to help! - gourami*girl   A beer for my fellow canuck! - NickFish   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Northernguy   

0 Not allowed!
    Towels underneath it are fine but weights on top of it is not a good idea.
    Did you check out the impellor yet?
    Ray Your Freindly Neighborhood,Fully Mod-ified, Self-appointed Pic Hound!! Need pics!!!
    Have you filled out your profile yet ?????????????
    The Fabulous AC ebook Please read>http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/ebook.html

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thank you for all the advice - Cliff   No Message - Aydreean   Thanks! Here's a shrimp for ya. - Flakes4Bait   Thank you!!! - harpua2002   Merry X-mass, and thanks for the help this past year - Cliff   
    Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - korith   

0 Not allowed!
    Since the filter is new, you could try to get it exchanged for another one. It could be a defect of some sort. Is the top seated properly?

I don't like the noise from the filters either. I have an older canister on a 20g long tank, it's a bit on the noisy side as well. My solution of sorts to reduce the noise, was to line the inside of a small rubbermaid bin with cork (bought the panels for 4/$1 at dollar store), then put the canister inside it. The air pump went into the bin as well.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Hmm...towels underneath didn't seem to make a difference (though I was concerned about making it an uneven surface), but on towels on top did make it a little less noise (my first post wasn't that clear...the towels are on top with the skillets on top of them). I read about checking the impeller, but I wasn't quite understanding how to do that. It doesn't seem like a defective filter itself, it seems like a normal motor hum, just much more than I expected with the reviews.

I think the top is seated properly...do you just mean completely sealed when closed? Is there something I should check specifically? (I like the cork on the bin...I was thinking of putting it in a bin, too, in case of any leaks. It seems like cushioning underneath doesn't affect the sound too much on this one, though).

How would I check the impeller? Would that just be a hum?

Sorry, we're completely new to canisters so I'm learning the differences and "tricks" as we go.

Thanks!
    Last edited by SamandAnne; 01-21-2010 at 06:56 AM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thank you for all the advice - Cliff   No Message - Aydreean   Thanks! Here's a shrimp for ya. - Flakes4Bait   Thank you!!! - harpua2002   Merry X-mass, and thanks for the help this past year - Cliff   
    Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - korith   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by SamandAnne
    I think the top is seated properly...do you just mean completely sealed when closed? Is there something I should check specifically?

How would I check the impeller? Would that just be a hum?

Sorry, we're completely new to canisters so I'm learning the differences and "tricks" as we go.

Thanks!
    Yes just meant is closed properly, you said by pushing on the top of the canister the noise was decreasing, I thought maybe the weight was causing it to seal all the way.

For the impeller, the manual should show you how to take apart the canister, and look at the impeller. To see if the impeller is sitting in it's spot. If something is wrong with the impeller, it might be turning smoothly, or making noises. Good idea to always clean that part, every few months or even more, gunk has a tendency to build up there.

Is it getting quieter the longer it runs? It could just be the pump getting rid of air that was trapped inside. I have an old canister filter where I have to shake the freaking thing like crazy to get the air bubbles out hehe.

Since it's new, you really have nothing to lose by getting another one and exchanging it. Just so you have something to compare the noise level to. If same noise level, then you'll know that the noise level is normal. If it's quieter than something was wrong with the first one. Better to find out now, rather than when the warranty has expired.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the nice post - Lady Hobbs   a gift your you! - squirt_12   beautiful blue discus - Algenco   felt like it - Lady Hobbs   for all the help! - squirt_12   
    Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - ILuvMyGoldBarb   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - ILuvMyGoldBarb   Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - ILuvMyGoldBarb   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - ILuvMyGoldBarb   Male Breast Cancer - Pregnancy Loss - Infant Loss - Sudden Infant Death - ILuvMyGoldBarb   

0 Not allowed!
    I have to agree with Korith, it sounds like their may be air trapped in there. I have the next model up and that happens with these from time to time when they are first started up. Also, try unplugging it and plugging it in again.
    Considering a Marine Aquarium? A Breakdown of the Components, Live Rock, Cycling a Marine Tank

"The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The WILLINGNESS to learn is a choice." - Unknown

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks everyone...let me give these a try and let you know how it turned out!

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I removed the weight on top. :) The towels are still there on top for now. I unplugged and plugged it back in, but it seemed the same...I shook the filter from side to side while running, and some air did come out, and it's a little quieter. It does seem to be getting quieter little by little on its own, though still more of a hum than I hoped for. :) Sometime in the next couple days I'll try to turn off the canister, stop the flow, open the lid, and see if the impeller looks in place and lying flat, then give it a try again.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    If you feel safe doing this, what I do with the old canister that traps air, is I flip it upside down when it's running and shake it. Then flip it back over, to sort of force the air out. After doing that a few times, it gets out a fair bit of the the trapped air. The impeller might be ok, if it wasn't sitting proper I think you'd find it making a lot more noise, and the water flow not so great.

The hum may be normal, even on my quiet rena canister I can hear the 'hum' if I get real close to it. Time to get creative and find ways to block/deaden the noise from reaching the rest of the room. If it still seems like too much noise, you really need to compare the noise level to another eheim 2213.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default ordering a second eheim to try out

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks everyone...I did everyone's suggestions...shaking the filter, shaking the filter upside down, and checking the impellor. After about a week, it quieted down some, but not as quiet as I expected, and I decided to check the impellor still...it did have some sand in the impellor, which I rinsed out (sand substrate in the tank...moved the intake up some and put a sponge filter insert on the end for the time being). Once I put it back together and running after that, it was as loud as it was in the beginning and has been for a couple days. So, since where I ordered it online seems to have a good return policy, I ordered a second one.

I figure I'll just take the motor from the second one and put it on the canister of the one I have now (to avoid cutting tubes, getting new filter media wet, etc) and see how the motor sounds. If it's quiet, I'll keep the new one and return the old one. If it's just as loud, I guess I'll return both?

Any reason why switching the motors out shouldn't work? Just want to be sure I don't break anything.

Any reason that it might get quieter with time? Just want to make sure I'm waiting it out enough before the 60 days return policy expires.

It doesn't seem to be air noise...I've heard that now when I restarted after checking the impellor...unless there still is air in there that I'm not seeing or shaking out now.
    Last edited by SamandAnne; 02-02-2010 at 07:02 PM.