· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks and your first gift!! - The Red Severum   Eggs woo hoo!!! - Gayle   My new buddy.  LOL - Lady Hobbs   because you're always there to help! - gourami*girl   A beer for my fellow canuck! - NickFish   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Northernguy   

0 Not allowed!
    If a canister filter is set up properly and is still noisy there is a problem with it!
    It should be near silent the first time you use it.
    I would have also ordered another to try that.
    The motor does need to be below the bottom level of the tank to work properly.
    Ray Your Freindly Neighborhood,Fully Mod-ified, Self-appointed Pic Hound!! Need pics!!!
    Have you filled out your profile yet ?????????????
    The Fabulous AC ebook Please read>http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/ebook.html

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Registered on this forum just for this very topic! (although I'll definitely stick around for the others..)

So- a few days ago I picked up a used 2215 from a local fish shop for 50 bucks.. Score! Before picking it up, I had read that these things were ultra quiet to the point where some folks said they had to actually touch the filter to make sure it was on- nice! Well, like SamandAnne- I am not having the best luck with noise on this filter (big time buzz, audible from the next room over..)- although it seems to be pumping water at a great rate..

Given the suggestions found in this thread, I will be taking the motor apart tonight and attempting to clean the impellar, etc.. I'll report back with success or heartbreak.. I really want this to work out.

SamandAnne- let me know if you're able to do anything to silence yours, and I'll do the same..

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thank you for all the advice - Cliff   No Message - Aydreean   Thanks! Here's a shrimp for ya. - Flakes4Bait   Thank you!!! - harpua2002   Merry X-mass, and thanks for the help this past year - Cliff   
    Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - korith   

0 Not allowed!
    Sounds like a plan that'll work, as long as its the same type of canister, no issues interchanging parts.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Frustrated to report that dissembling the unit (impellar, rod, everything..), wiping everything down, and putting it all back together achieved nothing as far as quieting this thing down.. I did notice that the previous owner must have got a little violent trying to take the top cover off because some of those little plastic tabs were broken off.. I don't think that would be responsible for the noise this thing is making though. I guess my only hope now is that it will improve itself after running for an extended period of time (the longest I've currently had it run without interruption is about 2 days..) We'll see I guess, any other tips are extremely welcome..

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks and your first gift!! - The Red Severum   Eggs woo hoo!!! - Gayle   My new buddy.  LOL - Lady Hobbs   because you're always there to help! - gourami*girl   A beer for my fellow canuck! - NickFish   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Northernguy   

0 Not allowed!
    Welcome to the AC Hagfish.You should have started a new thread for your filter.

Is the impellor shaft perfectly straight?
    Are any of the broken plastic tabs vibrating?
    Ray Your Freindly Neighborhood,Fully Mod-ified, Self-appointed Pic Hound!! Need pics!!!

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Yea, I guess I should have started a new one- but figured this one was appropriate since its basically the same filter as the thread originator has.

Anyways, yea- I didn't see any bends in the impellar shaft, and the tabs I don't believe are responsible for the noise- as I can apply pressure to the top, and while it does quiet down a tiny tiny bit, the filter still buzzes along at what I consider to be unacceptable levels (audible from across the house..) As I said before though, the flow is extremely strong, so it would appear this thing isn't totally toasted.. Really driving me crazy, I want to be on the eheim bandwagon, but this is a terrible start to something that really seems like it should be fixable!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Not sure what it could be.If the filter doesn't leak its put together right.
    The only moving part is the impellor and the water running through the system.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    One other thing I notice about the filter-- The metal clips don't really click on except for on one or two of them maybe. The other ones just kind of fold up and go over the top with no clicking into place, they're just kind of hovering there. That normal?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    They should all click down with even pressure.
    Are your baskets properly filled and stacked in the canister?

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Well, I'm not using all the "official" media at this time.. The guys who sold it to me told me to go with blue padding, bio stars, carbon bag, more blue padding.. So, the blue pads are currently my "mechanical" media (I know I can do better, just haven't got around to buying it yet..) But, to answer your question- its not exactly filled up to the point where its pushing up the top of the filter. Maybe I'll stuff some more padding in there to get a little resistance on the top of it?