· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    With a 40gal tank it's not necessarily a bad thing to keep your salinity a little low. The smaller your tank the higher greater the effect evaporation will have on your salinity. Rather than having it go too high, keeping it at 1.021-1.023 will help keep your salinity from raising above 1.025.
    Considering a Marine Aquarium? A Breakdown of the Components, Live Rock, Cycling a Marine Tank

"The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The WILLINGNESS to learn is a choice." - Unknown

0 Not allowed!
    ok, thanks...good to know...(I'm noticing that salinity seems to be a personal perference, lol)
    20gal long planted community

Awards Showcase

Kick back and enjoy the day when your done your painting - Cliff thanks for the rep! - EowynShieldmaiden Otis thanks you for the rep - Cliff This one will have a longer life span, sorry to hear about your fish - Cliff For being a smarty pants and figuring out my riddle so fast! :) - escamosa 
    The last one of these Ill ever give! Enjoy the AC bucks Rue! - smaug Yes, there is still a place in today's world for the  Darwin Awarads - Cliff Thanks for the Rep!!! :) - C-Dub Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas Rue - jeffs99dime 
    Holiday Ham has come today from the eve until Boxing Day! - Trillianne Merry Cristmas and Happy Holidays Rue. - Strider199 It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 lol, thanks for the rep.  Have one on me! =] - KevinVA Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks!  You have a great holiday season as well! - sheamurai Merry Christmas - gadget228 What is a good Holiday Ham to do, but bring some cheer to my good friend Rue! - Trillianne Just Because - Surfdog Cheers - Cliff 
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Rue Eating Disorders - Esophageal Cancer - Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease - Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Pulmonary Hypertension - Rue 

0 Not allowed!
    Some personal preference...but mostly dictated by what's in your tank. Corals and inverts (reef tank) need a higher salinity (I've seen 1.024-1.026 suggested)...fish can get by with less (for a FOWLR I've seen recommendations of 1.021-1.023). A little fluctuation is okay...a lot is not. A 'lot' would be 1 point in a short period of time. I did notice that in my display tank, with the lid, I have very little evaporation and fluctuation. I top the water 2-3 times a week - but not by very much...

My open-topped frag tank was horrendous for evaporation...had to top it off daily and by quite a bit...so the fluctuation in salinity was much more problematic in that tank...
    55 g Goldfish Tank - 5 Fancies, 2 Dojos
    25 g Tropical Tank - Celestial Pearl Danio/Mixed

0 Not allowed!
    agreed. I like to mimic the ocean. average salinity in natural reefs is usually 1.023-1.026.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick"
    Teddy Roosevelt
    I have lots of tanks, 9 I think.

0 Not allowed!
    well, I have a few corals so I'll be bumping up both calcium and salinity to more optimum levels. It kinda sounds like a bit high is better than a bit low, in any case.
    Thanks all, much appreciated.

0 Not allowed!
    Morning all
    Something odd happened in my tank overnight. A frag (not really a rock, but more of a rocky debris held together with green matt and zoas) that was placed up high in the tank on a flattish surface of rock, has mysteriously ended up on a ledge/crevice 3" lower. Where the zoa was, there is a hermit crab, and a dead hermit crab sans shell.
    Zoas don't travel like anemones, do they? Should I leave it where it lies, or put it back up on the ledge where I want it? Its VERY odd that the zoa segment landed completely flat, it doesn't look like the current rolled it off the top ledge where it was, and I can't see the hermits carrying it, they are still small at an inch or just under.
    What the heck's going on?

0 Not allowed!
    my hermits do similiar. once the zoa lands on a rock it reataches itself.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick"
    Teddy Roosevelt
    I have lots of tanks, 9 I think.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Your hermit molted
    Oceanic 90
    fluval 404
    CO2 injected planted
    8 Zebra Loaches
    6 cory 2 panda 4 pepper
    Bristlenose male
    10 Diamond Tetras
    1 Marbled Angel
    4 Saimensis

120 Oceanic
    Mixed Reef
    LED lighting

0 Not allowed!
    huh, thanks guys. It never occurred to me that the hermit molted, the carcass seemed rather fuller than say a shrimp molt, but it was very light when I scooped it out.
    Whew! I put the zoa back where I wanted it, and dumped the hermit back on the sand.

0 Not allowed!
    Ok. THIS HAIR ALGAE IS UHHHHHGLEEEEEEE!
    Can I not buy someone to eat this? It looks like ferns on a forest floor! UGH!!! Bearded rocks! It flows in the current!
    AARRRGH!

ps - Day 21. Only reading still "off" is nitrates, which have dropped to ten. I am hoping after a water change tomorrow and good vacuuming, it will drop further.
    Last edited by sheamurai; 01-22-2010 at 02:57 AM.