· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Thinking of getting a betta

0 Not allowed!
    Im thinking about getting a ten gallon tank with a betta. I was wondering what fish would do well with a betta in this size tank? I'm thinking of something not very colorful just to add some movement to the tank i guess. I was also wondering if there was nething special id have to do to have a planted tank. I was hoping to add gravel now and then if i decide i do want to add live plants i can, would that work? Ne help is appreciated

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Sorry for your loss - lahlumdi   here you go - mommy1   Heres Your Clown Fish! (Happy Easter!) - EmmanuelJB   
    Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - souly   

0 Not allowed!
    It will really depend on the temperment of your Betta. Some do okay with other fish, and some don't. Mostly bottom dwelling fish as betta a lot of time near the top of the tank. My rarely goes lower.

I have a african dwarf frog in with my tank, and have heard a lot of success with Cory Cats. It will really depend though on the betta itselt. Some can live with tetras and other fish. You'll have to see by the betta first.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I am in the process of preparing and planting a 10 gallon aquarium and I am also interested in having a betta live in it. I would like the betta to have company but I don't want to diminish the beauty of the betta with other striking fish, and I also don't want any fin nippers. I definitely like the idea of an african dwarf frog souly, but I was wondering if the betta ever harasses him?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

for you buddy - angelcakes   Have a gift, also! - Tigerbarb   Yo - Soxfan   Have another - Soxfan   Make it 3! - Soxfan   

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Sorry for your loss - lahlumdi   here you go - mommy1   Heres Your Clown Fish! (Happy Easter!) - EmmanuelJB   
    Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - souly   

0 Not allowed!
    Nope. For the most part they don't even release the other is there. If he does, he doesn't care much. He will see the ADF go up for air, then gets all excited but the frogs on the bottom before anything even goes down.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I have a five gallon hex with a single male betta and two African Dwarf Frogs. I've just added the frogs and the betta completely ignores them. My only challenge right now is feeding the frogs. I have small river rock type gravel in there and the frogs feed off the bottom. If the food falls down between the rocks, the frogs can't get too it. Honestly, they seem kinda dense. I also worry about one getting a leg stuck under a piece of gravel. So, right now, I'm target feeding them frozen blood worms and brine shrimp with an eye dropper. A bit of a pain. I have some aquarium sand coming to change it out, which should, hopefully, help in both feeding and safety. They are cute little buggers. I'll add if you want to see them a light color substrate will help them show a lot better.

I've had cory in another tank with a betta before and they also did fine. Cory are fun and add some activity to a tank but their colors are fairly bland and I don't think it would take away from your betta at all. The albinos are a hoot and they look great on a dark substrate. Panda are cute little guys too.

As others have said, it can depend on your betta, but I think they usually do fine with the ADF's or Cory cats.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For your new tank! - Northernguy   Congrats on your new fish!!! - Jill   you need a new fish for your AC tank - Crispy   Sorry about your loss - his name is Sidney - Xavier   

0 Not allowed!
    I've kept my betta's with platys, neon tetras, cherry barbs, mollies, zebra danios, etc. Never had a problem with any.

If your Betta shows any territorial issues, just take him out and move the decor around a bit.

You should have no problems if you decide to add plants later. I do think live plants add a bit extra though.
    30g:: Planted: 1 SAE, 1 Bristlenose Pleco, 5 Guppies, 3 Platys, 1 zebra danio, 9 Rasboras

2.5g: 1 Male Betta

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Plants wonít do well long term with just gravel. Itís not a good substrate for roots, and doesnít have the nutrients they need.

There are different ways to setup a planted tank from using just using soil capped with gravel or sand (my preferred method) to various proprietary substrates and fertilizers. There are some websites dedicated to planted tanks to give you more info.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

well done, enjoy your betta - Neon   

0 Not allowed!
    I always thought shrimp were really cool with bettas, but like other fish it's not guaranteed that they won't be an expensive snack.

African dwarf frogs like everyone else suggested are cool, too. I would so have some if they weren't illegal here.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For your new tank! - Northernguy   Congrats on your new fish!!! - Jill   you need a new fish for your AC tank - Crispy   Sorry about your loss - his name is Sidney - Xavier   

0 Not allowed!
    Ghost shrimp!!! They are cheap- about 28 to 45 cents depending on where you buy!
    30g:: Planted: 1 SAE, 1 Bristlenose Pleco, 5 Guppies, 3 Platys, 1 zebra danio, 9 Rasboras

2.5g: 1 Male Betta