· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on the fry! - Brookfish   

Default Medicating new fish in QT?

0 Not allowed!
    We're quarantining some rainbowfish and clown loaches before adding them to our discus tank and we're wondering if it's ok to use some sort of medication to make sure they don't introduce new parasites/diseases to the discus.

If so, is there anything that would be safe for loaches that would take care of most common diseases?

They haven't shown any signs of disease yet, we just want to be sure they are free of disease before putting them in with the expensive discus :)

Thanks!
    125 gallon Discus tank
    55 gallon Discus tank
    55 gallon EBJD tank

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Your first gift on AC, Welcome to the forum! - Brookfish   welcome - Algenco   Welcome to AC - Celtic Fins   Congrats on your awards! - Brookfish   Congratulations on your award. - Celtic Fins   
    Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - rich311k   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - rich311k   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - rich311k   

0 Not allowed!
    I would not medicate unless there is a reason. Leave them in QT for a month and you can be pretty sure they are healthy and ready to go into your main tank.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

it wont  let  me give you rep, till i give some to undeserving peeps so enjoy this - bushwhacker   For your little MONSTER! - Crispy   Happy New Year! - Jill   

0 Not allowed!
    Use the quarantine time as an observation period. DO NOT medicate if they're not sick. You can not properly treat something you haven't diagnosed.

You don't take medicine when you're not sick, do you?

Just watch them for a few weeks, and if they don't show signs of ich or parisites, go ahead and transfer them.
    Why buy, when you can DIY?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - Northernguy   
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Kazenouta   Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Kazenouta   

0 Not allowed!
    The only other aquarist I know personally (that is to say outside of AC) regularly puts Melafix in his QT when he gets new fish. However, those who have already posted seem to have the best idea. Not dosing if they aren't sick makes sense. In fact, preemptive dosing helps cause medication resistance microbes so, really you're doing everyone a favor but, not medicating unless you really have to.
    16g-planted1 Powder Blue Dwarf Gourami, 4 Cherry Barbs (more to come)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For your AC Tank! - Northernguy   Merry Christmas - Northernguy   Happy Birthday!!! - Jill   For your love of the pleco. - R2 Ranch   I agree with many things you say on many topics, so hee is a gift  that - james20   
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - annageckos   Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - annageckos   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - annageckos   

0 Not allowed!
    I agree with rich and aspects. It is never a good idea to medicate 'just because' or 'just incase'. Just keep an eye on them. If it turns out you need to medicate then do it.
    55 planted Community
    30 planted

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

it wont  let  me give you rep, till i give some to undeserving peeps so enjoy this - bushwhacker   For your little MONSTER! - Crispy   Happy New Year! - Jill   

0 Not allowed!
    Adding chemical medications when they are not needed can severely harm the internal organs of the fish (much like toxins and chemicals effect our kidneys and such). They also reduce the ammount of dissolved oxygen in tank. In the end its just not a good idea. I would suggest passing the info in to your other friend.

Also, keep in mind that both the fish you are putting in quarantine have seperate needs when it comes to medication. CL are considered a "scaleless" fish. (though they do actually have tiny soft scales). All "scaleless" fish should only receive a half dose of any given treatment, as their bodies are much more sensitive. So adding a full dose of any given treatment (be it salt/heat or chemical meds) for the rainbows, could be fatal for the CL..
    Why buy, when you can DIY?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Next round is on me! :-D - MCHRKiller   Another day, another round for my friends. - mommy1   Friends don't let friends drink alone, Cheers - Cliff   After all that virtual alcohol it's time to sober up with some virtual food - mommy1   I think this will help after the tree - mommy1   

0 Not allowed!
    Agree with the others about not medicating unless the fish are actually sick. Overmedicating just produces antibiotic resistance and is a huge issue, not just with fish but most certainly with people. No need to use a drug if there is no infective bug.
    Quote Originally Posted by i_am_511
    Lighten up its just the internet its not like someone came in your house and punched a baby in the face.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on the fry! - Brookfish   

0 Not allowed!
    Ok, thanks to everyone for their input. I will definitely not medicate unless I see some symptoms. It was just an idea to get them in their tank sooner because it's hard to wait a month before putting them in their tank!! But it's best for the fish, we don't want to cause any undue stress.
    Last edited by fishduded82; 01-07-2010 at 03:32 AM.
    125 gallon Discus tank
    55 gallon Discus tank
    55 gallon EBJD tank