· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 180g stocking

1. Default 180g stocking

0 Not allowed!
    In anticipation for my 180g, I decided to start getting an idea how im going to stock this reef, After looking around I realized that with this size tank so many more fish options open up, a lot of which that I thought I would never have!

my current 90g stocking will be transferred over which are
    - Regal Tang
    - Yellow coris wrasse
    - Picasso clown
    - Yellow watchman goby
    currently being held by a friend
    - Purple Tang
    - Mckoskers flasher wrasse
    (will be getting another picasso to pair up with my current one)

I not really sure how stocked I am with that or what more I could add but I was hoping you guys could give me some ideas. I also have some fish in mind like a group of Maldives lyretail Anthias, blue spot jawfish, I would love an angelfish of some kind but most aren't reef safe but maybe another tang?

0 Not allowed!
    If you do get another Tang you may have some trouble. You have 2 of the most belligerent tangs available in there right now, and that Purple is not likely going to take too kindly to another acanthurid. If you do decide to try it, you will have your best chance with a member of the Acanthurus genus or the Ctenochaetus genus.

As for a reef safe angel, if you have SPS corals then most Angels are going to be safe for you. The biggest issue you are going to have is with your Tridacnids. Lots of angels like to nip at those mantels. You may be able to get a member of the Genicanthus genus in there without a problem.

Adding anything at this point though may prove difficult with that Purple tang in there though.
    Considering a Marine Aquarium? A Breakdown of the Components, Live Rock, Cycling a Marine Tank

"The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The WILLINGNESS to learn is a choice." - Unknown

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks both tangs right now are pretty small the regal is about 3.5 inches and the purple is around 4 inches so I could get away with adding bigger fish than them. I will look into the Genicanthus genus and see which I like. Would a Naso tang cause a problem?

0 Not allowed!
    A Naso, IMO, is still to large for even a 180.
    Considering a Marine Aquarium? A Breakdown of the Components, Live Rock, Cycling a Marine Tank

"The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The WILLINGNESS to learn is a choice." - Unknown

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Now that I think about and seen then in tank they do get pretty huge , I thiink i'll stick with the current tangs I have.

I looked in to the Angelfish and I like:

Bellus Angelfish Genicanthus bellus
    Swallowtail Angelfish Genicanthus melanospilos
    Zebra Angelfish Genicanthus caudovittatus
    and Regal Angelfish Pygoplites diacanthus I know this is isn't Genicanthus but i've read a bit about it and its seems pretty reef safe but hard to take care off so if I brave enough and do my research I might get one since I really like it!
    Last edited by Miltonic; 01-07-2010 at 03:24 AM.

0 Not allowed!
    Pygoplites diacanthus is generally a good choice for a SPS dominated reef, however you still do not avoid the problem with the Tridacnid mantels. With 2 tridacnids in that tank, the chances of you running into trouble are pretty high. You would really be best to stick to the Genicanthus genus as they have the least likelihood of problems at all.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    SO hard to decided with all the choices but I think this is what my stocking will be like at some point

-Purple tang
    -Regal tang
    -Yellow coris wrasse
    -Mckosker's Flasher wrasse
    -Trio of Lyretail Anthias
    -Pair of Picasso clowns
    -Watchman Goby
    -one last centerpiece big fish either Angel, tang, something else.

Sw addict what are some other interesting fish you would recommend looking into?

0 Not allowed!
    How about a group of Cardinals like Bangaiis or Pajamas? They provide a nice option. You may also be able to get away with a Mandarin in there. A 180 with the proper amount of live rock should provide and ample supply of pods for one.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    ahh a Mandarin seems like a nice option, I forgot i wanted one a while ago but now with more room I should be able to keep one. I plan to have around 210lbs of live rock in there.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    i found another interesting fish I would like a Powder blue or Powder brown tang, right now im leaning towards the brown since I have to many fish with shades of blue already.