· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy New Year! A fish for your AC Tank - Northernguy   No Message - Hawkshadow123   

Unhappy I want to know about a "broken fin".

0 Not allowed!
    Well, a few days before my betta (King) died, I noticed the two thin, long fins were ripped. Day after day passed by, and it got more and more worse. The remains were sadly two small pieces of fins. I treated it with the fish medicine ("Bettafix" was the name, but i do not know the company name), but it didn't work. I thought maybe because of the filter? Then, the NEXT day, he began to get fin rot on the rest of his fins. The day after that, at around 7:00 pm, I found out he had Velvet. It was a Sunday, and Petland closed at 6:00 on Sunday. The next day, he died. =(

I want to know what caused that. He was fine and healthy.

Oh and I can't upload any pics. He died and I never took and pictures when that happened.

Fish Trainer *in the making*
    LOL.
    No, Seriously. I'm gonna train fish.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    how big of a tank? filtration? temp? maintenance routine? the more info you give us the easier we can find the problem, sorry but i dont know what went wrong.. how long did you have him? bettafix expired? just trying to cover all the bases.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thank you.  A new fish for you - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry to hear about your betta buddy :(

As far as finding out why, did you perform any water changes? Also, were you using any aquarium salt? Velvet is a parasite, so the best way to prevent your fish from getting it is to add aquarium salt and keeping your aquarium pristine by performing regular water changes especially when you think he/she is sick. This goes for fin rot as well. Also fin rot is a fungal disease. As far as I know betta fix is an anti-bacterial, so adding betta fix may not have been doing anything to help, but I could be wrong.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For your AC Tank! - Northernguy   Merry Christmas - Northernguy   Happy Birthday!!! - Jill   For your love of the pleco. - R2 Ranch   I agree with many things you say on many topics, so hee is a gift  that - james20   
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - annageckos   Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - annageckos   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - annageckos   

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry to hear about your betta. Some bettas are just more prone than others to have problems. The bettas in petstores are just mass bred with no care to heath, same as pet store(puppy mill) puppies.
    55 planted Community
    30 planted

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks and your first gift!! - The Red Severum   Eggs woo hoo!!! - Gayle   My new buddy.  LOL - Lady Hobbs   because you're always there to help! - gourami*girl   A beer for my fellow canuck! - NickFish   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Northernguy   

0 Not allowed!
    Welcome to the Fabulous AC!
    We need more info to be able to answer your Qs.
    What was your maintanence like?
    Water changes,how much how often?
    Did you test for perameters? Ammonia,nitrites,nitrates
    Was there any other fish in the tank?
    Was it cycled? How?
    What were you feeding?
    How did the fin get broke?
    Please check out the free ebook.Its a great start.We are here to help but without knowing any history its all just guesses.
    Ray Your Freindly Neighborhood,Fully Mod-ified, Self-appointed Pic Hound!! Need pics!!!
    Have you filled out your profile yet ?????????????
    The Fabulous AC ebook Please read>http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/ebook.html

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy New Year! A fish for your AC Tank - Northernguy   No Message - Hawkshadow123   

0 Not allowed!
    the tank was 2.5 minibow and came with a filter.
    Kept the temp at around 77 F
    Did 25% water change weekly
    I had him for 7 months (when I got him, he was old.)
    the bettafix wasn't expired.
    LOL.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernguy
    Welcome to the Fabulous AC!
    We need more info to be able to answer your Qs.
    What was your maintanence like?
    Water changes,how much how often?
    Did you test for perameters? Ammonia,nitrites,nitrates
    Was there any other fish in the tank?
    Was it cycled? How?
    What were you feeding?
    How did the fin get broke?
    Please check out the free ebook.Its a great start.We are here to help but without knowing any history its all just guesses.
    Well, 25% water change weekly
    Um...at that time...I didn't have any test things (my dad. TT)
    No other fish in tank, only him.
    Um...i dont remeber if i cycled the tank (school makes me forget XP)
    I feed him HBH Betta bites (2 every day) and freeze driend bloodworms(2 every 5 days) and one day without eating.
    LOL.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeDUDS
    Sorry to hear about your betta buddy :(

As far as finding out why, did you perform any water changes? Also, were you using any aquarium salt? Velvet is a parasite, so the best way to prevent your fish from getting it is to add aquarium salt and keeping your aquarium pristine by performing regular water changes especially when you think he/she is sick. This goes for fin rot as well. Also fin rot is a fungal disease. As far as I know betta fix is an anti-bacterial, so adding betta fix may not have been doing anything to help, but I could be wrong.
    Yes, I performed one water change (25%) every 3 days. I rarely used any aquraium salt.
    LOL.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome! - Mith   No Message - korith   Time to help clean that mess up! - Agassizii   A lil spilt wine for your white carpet lol - Padams   Thanks for playing Mafia! - Agassizii   

0 Not allowed!
    It's kind of hard to forget if you cycled a tank or not, so I'm going to assume you didn't...

In which case, odds are poor water quality is what made your fish sick...

Poor water quality would actually explain most illnesses in fish...

As for why your medicine wasn't working, it's hard to say... I'm not familiar with the brand personally... Were you using carbon media in your filter? That would stop it from working... Maybe you misdiagnosed and weren't treating properly to begin with?

Just my guess though.

(Also, do not use aquarium salt... Bettas are fresh water, not brackish... They do better without the salts...)
    Praise Ineptune! God of the Failboat!
    Moo.

http://www.amazon.com/Freshwater-Aqu...dp_ob_title_bk