· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Nice babies - Lady Hobbs   you need a school of these!lol - Northernguy   We sound like Bevis and Butt head! - Lady Hobbs   for checking out my profile - geminidragn   Hope it helps! - Northernguy   

Default What type of pleco works best with an african cichlid tank.

0 Not allowed!
    Can anyone give a pleco that will work with a cichlid tank. Like a rubber lip, chocolate, sailfin, or clown.

my two favorites in my life.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For your AC Tank! - Northernguy   Merry Christmas - Northernguy   Happy Birthday!!! - Jill   For your love of the pleco. - R2 Ranch   I agree with many things you say on many topics, so hee is a gift  that - james20   
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - annageckos   Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - annageckos   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - annageckos   

0 Not allowed!
    What size tank is it? I am also not too sure how well plecos will take to the high PH/hard water that the cichlids need.
    55 planted Community
    30 planted

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Nice babies - Lady Hobbs   you need a school of these!lol - Northernguy   We sound like Bevis and Butt head! - Lady Hobbs   for checking out my profile - geminidragn   Hope it helps! - Northernguy   

0 Not allowed!
    just a 30 for now but it will become a 55 gallon

my two favorites in my life.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    those plecos would need a lower ph than an african tank. the rubber lips also like their current. if any i think the sailfin is the hardiest, and therefore may take to the higher ph more readily than the others. i cant think of any good high ph plecos. synodontis catfish would make good scanegers though.

-morgan

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

A cup of coffee to get you going on that build. - Strider199   Merry xmas! - ScottishFish   Merry Christmas - mommy1   Happy New Year - mommy1   Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1   

0 Not allowed!
    Wait until you have the 55g well established before you get a pleco. There are many many kinds of plecos out there. Some more easily available than others. I'm partial to L200 green phantom at the moment and it's supposed to be a good, hardy starter pleco. Gets 7.5" max.
    your friendly neighbourhood arowanaman!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the nomination - Cliff   Merry X-mass, and thanks for all of your help this past year, both here and at the store - Cliff   No Message - cer   Thanks for the rep - Cliff   thanks for the betta :D - Cyberra   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - sailor   Autism - sailor   

0 Not allowed!
    I myself am using rubberlip pleco's in my african tanks. We have hard water with a high ph but so does all the lfs's in the city, so they are used to the local water.
    Sailor

Aye Aye

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For your AC Tank! - Northernguy   Merry Christmas - Northernguy   Happy Birthday!!! - Jill   For your love of the pleco. - R2 Ranch   I agree with many things you say on many topics, so hee is a gift  that - james20   
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - annageckos   Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - annageckos   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - annageckos   

0 Not allowed!
    A common or sailfin pleco would be too big for either tank.
    55 planted Community
    30 planted

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome to AC! - Brookfish   Another fish for your AC tank - Celtic Fins   Thank you for that tip about the mbunas and new plastic plants!!! - Jill   great taste in fish! :) - Crispy   Success! Yay! lol - Northernguy   

Cool Pleco Buddy

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by octoxpuss
    Can anyone give a pleco that will work with a cichlid tank. Like a rubber lip, chocolate, sailfin, or clown.
    As long as you keep parameters constant and the pH and hardness not super high just about any pleco will do (based on type vs, tank size).

Almost all of my tanks are African.

In my mbuna tank I have a phantom pleco (L200)
    In my peacock tank I have a phantom pleco (L200)
    In my comp nursery I have a gold nugget (L18)

All are doing very well and healthy
    "Rules NEVER apply to all of your fish..."
    "A little googling (research) can go a long way..."

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Bushynose Pleco's are highly recommended over at the cichlid forum.
    55g: Currently building....

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by bfisher88
    Bushynose Pleco's are highly recommended over at the cichlid forum.
    This is what I plan to put in my mbuna tank (and in various other tanks, too). Don't have them yet, but have read they should work well. I hope they do!