· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Losing my neons

Hybrid View

1. Default Losing my neons

0 Not allowed!
    I already have this in a thread in the beginner forum, but figured I would post here too......... on Thursday we bought 8 neons for our 10G tank (nothing else in the tank).......... we had previous problems with ammonia (killed 3 goldfish) and so had the tank cycling......... we had the LFS test our water twice, and the last time we were there the ammonia was a little high, so we left it another few days, tested ourselves, were confident of the water and so bought the neons.

The first night 2 died, the second day another 2, then yesterday another 2 and today another 1.......... leaving us with 1 neon. They all exhibited the same symptoms that our goldfish did, floating randomly, lethargic......... further tests on our water revealed ammonia at 0 (I also carried out a 50% water change after the first 4 died)......... we have soft water with a low pH and the tank is heated to about 80F.......... any idea's what killed the neons? they had appeared happy and very active in the tank, colors were bright, I have not been able to see any discoloration around their gills. So I have no idea what is killing them, and am really just waiting now on the last one to die......... any clues on what could be killing them? I have that I have now had 10 fish in total die, especially when we felt that our water was cycled (no ammonia, nitrite, low nitrate)........... I am reluctant to buy any more fish as we don't want them to die, and am at the point in giving up on our tank.

Is it possible the neons do not like our water? they are used to town water and we have well water? is there any other fish we could try? we want something small (tank size) and that we can get a good number of (the neons looked great zooming around the tank together).........

Any advice is really appreciated at this point. Thanks.

Awards Showcase

god im hungry - cocoa_pleco You make me laugh! - Drumachine09 And lots of pizza too! lol - Chrona wish i had some of this to drink right now - cocoa_pleco DAAAAAM, this drink looks good - cocoa_pleco 
    There. Thats better. - Drumachine09 maybe one day we can enjoy one of these - sergo Congrats you recived a RAK gift enjoy! - DemonShark RAK - DemonShark RAK - DemonShark 
    Cheers! - Nick_Pavlovski Since Wendy's is only open 4 hours! - aliz340 For Your Help And Friendship - MeganL3985 Hope you a good time in Germany - alizee340 Good to have you back around the forum! - Nick_Pavlovski 
    Thanks....you could use some Luck with your fish too! - **AquaQueen** I'm baking today and figured I'd share...Thanks for helping whne it's needed! - **AquaQueen** Back at you, CP! - Dave66 You send me fruit I send you pizza!! LOL!! - 2manyfish a fish for the new 5.5g salt! lol - cocoa_pleco 
    Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - cocoa_pleco Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - cocoa_pleco Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - cocoa_pleco Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - cocoa_pleco World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - cocoa_pleco 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - cocoa_pleco Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - cocoa_pleco Childhood Cancer - cocoa_pleco Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - cocoa_pleco 

0 Not allowed!
    could be that a constant tetra with neon disease is coming in

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I just called the LFS where we bought the neons and they said it could still be ammonia? not sure how that can be since the ammonia is reading 0..........the guy told me neons are very susceptible to ammonia poisoning and that even though our tank is a month old its still new enough for ammonia to kill the neons.......... then suggested doing a 25% water change (already did a 50%) and let it sit for a week before trying some bigger tetras.

Not sure what other tetras to get, but will be leaving the tank until at least next Thursday before I add anything to it.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The symptoms sound similar to what happened wit hsome cichlids i bought earlier in the month. I would recommend checking any decorations you have, if any of them look suspicious (it was slate for me, its fine now, but i had to soak it), or rocks, or naything, check that first. then check your PH, if its too high and they go from a very low one, the shock will kill them, easily.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Test your tap water see what readings you get. What conditioner do you use? Do you use bleach, or soap to clean anything that goes in your aquarium?
    Last edited by J5589; 04-24-2007 at 01:50 AM.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I am having the same issue and posted in the Biginner forum as well. My post can be found here.

I have good levels for everything that I have tested (chlorine, nitrite, ph, hardness, and ammonia). The nitrite and ammonia levels are just in trace amounts.

My question is pertaining to the water temperature. I have my tank around 79-80F just as the OP. A lot of the documentation I've read on the neons, puts the ideal range in around a 72-76 level. Could it be that the neons are that sensitive to temperature? Just as the OP, I'm running out of things to point fingers at.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by naiku
    I just called the LFS where we bought the neons and they said it could still be ammonia? not sure how that can be since the ammonia is reading 0..........the guy told me neons are very susceptible to ammonia poisoning and that even though our tank is a month old its still new enough for ammonia to kill the neons.......... then suggested doing a 25% water change (already did a 50%) and let it sit for a week before trying some bigger tetras.

Not sure what other tetras to get, but will be leaving the tank until at least next Thursday before I add anything to it.
    If the tank is sitting empty then all of the bacteria will die as they will have no source of ammonia. You would be best to read the sticky on fishless cycling or add either 1 goldfish or 1 zebra danio and use them to cycle.

Using more than one fish in a small ten gallon tank will cause the ammonia to build up quicker than your bacteria colony can grow. This will cause you to see lethal levels of ammonia and kill your fish.

Either way you have to have a constant supply of food for the bacteria. Without it they will die off.
    46g planted tank:
    Pearl Gouramis, New Guinea Red Rainbowfish, Siamese algae eaters, Yoyo Loaches, Zebrafish, oto cats, L114 (aka Leopard cactus pleco)

30g planted tank:
    Celestial Pearl Danios, Red Cherry Shrimp

20g long planted tank:
    N strain Endlers Live bearers

5 gallon:
    Half moon betta (blue body, Yellow fins)

Pictures and My Blog

0 Not allowed!
    Neons are intolerate of water having any ammonia or nitrites and I'm sure the guy at the store hit it on the head.

You mentioned you had goldfish that had died in cycling the tank and then later added the neons. This tells me this tank has still not cycled. You will test for 0 if nothing has yet cycled. You mentioned you had the tank cycled. How did you do it?

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Neons must not be as nearly hardy as they use to be. When I was 12 (long long time ago) I use to run neons along with goldfish in a tank that I never did water changes on with a bio wheel and I'd maybe only loose 1 every 4 months. I even ran them in plain tap water with no conditioner, though that was well water in Alaska lol.

Were the fish at the surface seeming to gasp for air?

When you had the goldfish die, did you start over or did you just use the same water that the dead golfish were floating in?

If your last fish dies, I'd probably start over. Take everything down, wash and rinse the heck out of everything not using soap, but the suggestions in e-book at the left. Wash out the tank in the same manner and your filter system as well, tossing the filter you have and get a new one, then follow the fishless cycle listed in the ebook and then try again.

If you start over, complete the cycle, and still have fish die, I'd change where you are getting fish and change your brand of water conditioner.

James
    Last edited by jttt3; 05-17-2007 at 03:42 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    I don't think neon tetra disease is all that common and they also don't die that fast. Ammonia or nitrites will kill them in a very short time, however. My neons have gotten moved back and forth from tank to tank I don't know how many times and have lived thru every move. I have lost maybe 3 in a year and am finding my remainders pretty hardly little buggers.

Tetra's are claimed to do better with temps around 74-76 but mine have been in warmer tanks, as well.