· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Thread: Red Tail Cat

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! A fish for your AC Tank - Northernguy   

Default Red Tail Cat

0 Not allowed!
    There is a local pet store in my area that has a 300 gal tank with just one Red Tail in the tank and when I was there he threw a mouse in the tank and the fish ate it.. I didnt know you could feed a mouse to a fish is that safe for the fish to digest?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks and your first gift!! - The Red Severum   Eggs woo hoo!!! - Gayle   My new buddy.  LOL - Lady Hobbs   because you're always there to help! - gourami*girl   A beer for my fellow canuck! - NickFish   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Northernguy   

0 Not allowed!
    Thats sadistic!
    I don't recomend it! stick to fish food.
    Ray Your Freindly Neighborhood,Fully Mod-ified, Self-appointed Pic Hound!! Need pics!!!
    Have you filled out your profile yet ?????????????
    The Fabulous AC ebook Please read>http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/ebook.html

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

it wont  let  me give you rep, till i give some to undeserving peeps so enjoy this - bushwhacker   For your little MONSTER! - Crispy   Happy New Year! - Jill   

0 Not allowed!
    feeder mice are pretty common with some larger predators. same with feeder frogs. though i agree, its best to stick to fish food. lol
    Why buy, when you can DIY?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

ya needed one - korith   for being super sweet - Lynn Conroy   I told you I'd use it well ;-) - DragonWatch   Something for your tank,  and for being a good sport. - Brookfish   Happy Saint Patricks Day! - Brookfish   
    Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - lobsternoob   

0 Not allowed!
    I used to feed my red bellies mice when I was a bit younger and dumber. Not only was it really probably not the best food for them, but looking back it must have been a pretty horrible way to die for the mice, I wouldn't do it now.

I also imagine that because the red tail probably swallows it whole theres a chance that a real lively mouse could do some harm to the fish.
    No matter how much I learn or know I'm still gonna be a NOOB, but that doesn't mean I'm an idiot!

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! A fish for your AC Tank - Northernguy   

0 Not allowed!
    Im guilty of torturing mice in my past I use to have 21 snakes but my god that fish just about jumped out of the tank for that mouse, I think it scared me more than the mouse he never seen it coming

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For your AC Tank! - Northernguy   Merry Christmas - Northernguy   Happy Birthday!!! - Jill   For your love of the pleco. - R2 Ranch   I agree with many things you say on many topics, so hee is a gift  that - james20   
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - annageckos   Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - annageckos   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - annageckos   

0 Not allowed!
    Fine for the fish. But cruel for the mouse. In the wild predatory fish will eat anything they can get in their mouths. Mammals, birds, reptiles, inverts, other fish .......
    55 planted Community
    30 planted

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks and your first gift!! - The Red Severum   Eggs woo hoo!!! - Gayle   My new buddy.  LOL - Lady Hobbs   because you're always there to help! - gourami*girl   A beer for my fellow canuck! - NickFish   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Northernguy   

0 Not allowed!
    In the wild a fish can can handle it better.They have more room to swim and more ways to get it through their system faster.
    In a tank they do not!Its not the same.There are no mice swimming in aquariums,at least not on therir own!
    You can feed what you like to your fish!lol Its just not reccomended!

Snakes on the other hand,its part of their [B]regular diet.My brother in law fed his pythons frozen rats all the time.
    Ray Your Freindly Neighborhood,Fully Mod-ified, Self-appointed Pic Hound!! Need pics!!!
    Have you filled out your profile yet ?????????????
    The Fabulous AC ebook Please read>http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/ebook.html

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For your AC Tank! - Northernguy   Merry Christmas - Northernguy   Happy Birthday!!! - Jill   For your love of the pleco. - R2 Ranch   I agree with many things you say on many topics, so hee is a gift  that - james20   
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - annageckos   Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - annageckos   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - annageckos   

0 Not allowed!
    Sure, not recomened, I agree. But it will be digested. Not wanting to start an argument but I would think a mouse would be healthier than beefheart. Trust me, I know about snakes. I feed my snake pre killed or frozen thawed rats. I use to have a bunch of snakes(burmese, ball and rock pythons, redtail boa, green redtail ratsnake, african house snakes and more over the years) but now I am down to one. I was also raised around large constrictors (tatto shop) retics, berms, boas.... But this is about fish and fish and snakes are totally different when it comes to food.

Truce, Peace white flag...
    55 planted Community
    30 planted

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

ya needed one - korith   for being super sweet - Lynn Conroy   I told you I'd use it well ;-) - DragonWatch   Something for your tank,  and for being a good sport. - Brookfish   Happy Saint Patricks Day! - Brookfish   
    Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - lobsternoob   

0 Not allowed!
    Hmm, kind of surprises me, I would think beef heart might be better. But don't worry Annageckos, typically this is not an argumentative forum anyway, so I do not want to be rude or argue, just discuss :). I would think with a live or dead rodent the fish is also digesting useless waste products, fur, contents of the digestive system, etc. I way agree with NG that a captive fish has much more chance of being injured by a live rodent than a wild fish would. In fact, my friend fed his captive bred ball python frozen rats because he was once injured by a live one. Either way, I think nowadays there are very many good prepared fish foods available, so a lot of live feeding of fish (with larger animals like goldies, mice, etc) is purely for the entertainment of the owner.
    No matter how much I learn or know I'm still gonna be a NOOB, but that doesn't mean I'm an idiot!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

A cup of coffee to get you going on that build. - Strider199   Merry xmas! - ScottishFish   Merry Christmas - mommy1   Happy New Year - mommy1   Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1   

0 Not allowed!
    Predatory fish don't have a good digestion system for mammalian meat/bones. I've heard of some monster fish dying a day or two after eating a mouse. Even though it can be done, doesn't mean it should. If you want to feed your fish the best, do it with a good variety of fresh seafoods.
    your friendly neighbourhood arowanaman!