· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

1. Default is drop eye a concern?

0 Not allowed!
    hi all. my arow seems to be doing fine. he is about 13" now and around a year old. he seems to be developing drop eye in his right eye only. is this any concern? could i have done something to cause this?

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    No, there is nothing you could have done to prevent it. Drop Eye is a genetic disease, and does not reflect the method of your husbandry. Don't be hard on yourself, it is inevitable for most farm born silver aros.

Now gill curl on the other hand. That can be prevented..
    Why buy, when you can DIY?

Awards Showcase

Thanks and your first gift!! - The Red Severum Eggs woo hoo!!! - Gayle My new buddy.  LOL - Lady Hobbs because you're always there to help! - gourami*girl A beer for my fellow canuck! - NickFish 
    For being a pic hound!!! - Alfcea thankyou for all your help - sueshewoman A round of gifts for my friends at ac! - Wild Turkey to a very good buddy,happy thanksgiving - angelcakes Congrats on MOTM - Lady Hobbs 
    For being on the ball and having the forum at heart. - Brookfish Thanks for the gift! Now heres one for you ! - CephalopodLover congrats on MOTM - angelcakes same to you - mrs fishpatrick thanks for the help - LORENZO 
    merry christmas - cocoa_pleco sorry for your loss - lovleeko Seasons Greetings! - Brookfish Joyeux Noel!  :) - KrytterKrys Happy Christmas 2008 - fins_n_fur 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Northernguy 

0 Not allowed!
    Can you post a pic of the fish?
    What size tank is it in?
    Whats your maintanence schedule like on that tank?
    Was the tank cycled before getting the fish?
    What are you feeding and how much per day?
    Last edited by Northernguy; 12-22-2009 at 04:21 PM.
    Ray Your Freindly Neighborhood,Fully Mod-ified, Self-appointed Pic Hound!! Need pics!!!
    Have you filled out your profile yet ?????????????
    The Fabulous AC ebook Please read>http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/ebook.html

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    ill have to get some new picture for u guys.

right now he is in my 125gal 72x18x21. i do a 50% water change every week to 10 days. i have 2 ehiem 2080 filters that i clean every month. the tank was definately cycled before any fish went in. "fishless cycle followed by 50% water change" normally i feed him once a day alternating days i feed him frozen krill, otherdays i feed arow sticks. once in a while he will go after some of the live fathead minnows that i feed my scombs.

im in the process of preparing a 300gal setup . should be up and running by the end of next month. going to keep it simple. no plants, low light, and a few items for decor. 2 fluval fx5 filters. maybe add a few fish, not sure yet.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    these picts arent that great, about 2 months ago
    Attached Images Attached Images

Awards Showcase

Thanks and your first gift!! - The Red Severum Eggs woo hoo!!! - Gayle My new buddy.  LOL - Lady Hobbs because you're always there to help! - gourami*girl A beer for my fellow canuck! - NickFish 
    For being a pic hound!!! - Alfcea thankyou for all your help - sueshewoman A round of gifts for my friends at ac! - Wild Turkey to a very good buddy,happy thanksgiving - angelcakes Congrats on MOTM - Lady Hobbs 
    For being on the ball and having the forum at heart. - Brookfish Thanks for the gift! Now heres one for you ! - CephalopodLover congrats on MOTM - angelcakes same to you - mrs fishpatrick thanks for the help - LORENZO 
    merry christmas - cocoa_pleco sorry for your loss - lovleeko Seasons Greetings! - Brookfish Joyeux Noel!  :) - KrytterKrys Happy Christmas 2008 - fins_n_fur 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Northernguy 

0 Not allowed!
    I understood that it was a poor diet and bad water conditions that caused drop eye.Genetics may also be a contributing factor.
    Ray Your Freindly Neighborhood,Fully Mod-ified, Self-appointed Pic Hound!! Need pics!!!
    Have you filled out your profile yet ?????????????
    The Fabulous AC ebook Please read>http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/ebook.html

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    i dont think my water conditions are ever bad. n03 never higher then 30ppm.
    water changes are consistant and i check water parameters 2 times a week.

could be diet but he is definately not under fed. the arow sticks are good for a staple diet from what ive read.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernguy
    I understood that it was a poor diet and bad water conditions that caused drop eye.Genetics may also be a contributing factor.
    That would be fill curl. Not DE.
    Drop eye is purely genetic. It comes from farm raised and overly inbred aros. This I'd why you don't see it in WC silvers/jars and you rarely ever see it in Asians and leis.
    there are even pond raised silvers with DE on MFK, further showing that not even tank size is a factor.

Like I said. There is nothing you did wrong.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    None of that has anything to do with DE.

My favorite is people wi think its from the fish "looking down" too much.
    I literally fall over laughing every time I see some clown with a ping pong ball floating in their tank to "prevent drop eye".
    BAHAAAHAHAHAHA.
    I crack up just thinking about it..

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    None of that has anything to do with DE.

My favorite is people wi think its from the fish "looking down" too much.
    I literally fall over laughing every time I see some clown with a ping pong ball floating in their tank to "prevent drop eye".
    BAHAAAHAHAHAHA.
    I crack up just thinking about it..