· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

a fish for your new tank - gabbyguppy   Merry Christmas - Northernguy   Hopefully this will help! - Northernguy   

Default New 10 gallon tank

0 Not allowed!
    Okay.. so I've posted my info about my tank in other places on the board but I figured I would start one of these journals to document my progress and whatnot. So my tank has been up and running about 2 weeks now and it is fully decorated with lots of artificial plants and 2 tank ornaments. I have an Aquatech 5-15 filter, 50 watt heater. The temperature of the tank is staying right around 75 or 76 degrees. As of today my water parameters are as follows:

PH- 8.2
    Ammonia- 4
    Nitrite- Between 0 and .25
    Nitrate- 5

I'm just waiting now for the tank to cycle. My nitrites never jumped up above 1.0 but now they are dropping it seems. The ammonia has remained about the same, as well as the nitrates. Some comments have been that my tank seems to only have another week or two left. So hopefully it will happen soon!

Our water is hard well water, the total hardness is 300 ppm. As you can see we have high PH also. I've done lots of research and asked lots of questions, and have figured out two tank set-ups that I'm trying to decide between. Let me know what you think sounds better! Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

1st set-up:
    1 male betta
    3 platys- 2 female, 1 male
    Possibly ghost shrimp or cherry shrimp (unless the betta will eat them?)

2nd set-up:
    4-6 male guppies
    10 cherry shrimp or ghost shrimp

I figured out that fish that will thrive in hard water are bettas, mollies, cichlids, guppies and platys. Since it's a 10 gallon it limits my choices.
    Here's a pic:

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks and your first gift!! - The Red Severum   Eggs woo hoo!!! - Gayle   My new buddy.  LOL - Lady Hobbs   because you're always there to help! - gourami*girl   A beer for my fellow canuck! - NickFish   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Northernguy   

0 Not allowed!
    A journal is a great idea! Nice tank too!
    Ray Your Freindly Neighborhood,Fully Mod-ified, Self-appointed Pic Hound!! Need pics!!!
    Have you filled out your profile yet ?????????????
    The Fabulous AC ebook Please read>http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/ebook.html

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Winner of my drunken thread, sorry :) - Marty   You needed a gift! - Agassizii   Thanks! - Northernguy   MAFIA 2.0 Thanks for playing! - The Red Severum   A new guppy:) - HorrorShowRot   
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - iZinedane   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - iZinedane   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - iZinedane   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - iZinedane   

0 Not allowed!
    Nice tank!

Latest gifts & ribbons:

a fish for your new tank - gabbyguppy   Merry Christmas - Northernguy   Hopefully this will help! - Northernguy   

0 Not allowed!
    Ok so how do I know when to change my carbon filter and vacuum the rocks and such? I know the bacteria grows in the gravel during cycling, but don't know about the carbon filter. Should I wait until it's fully cycled and after fish are added? Or before?

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Alright so here are my new testing results for today. The nitrite reading didn't exactly match the shade for 0 or for .25...it was somewhat in between. This is on the API liquid freshwater test kit.

Ammonia - 3
    Nitrite- Between 0 and .25
    Nitrate- 5

So how am I doing? Only a few days left *praying*? LOL I can definitely see my nitrites are dropping (they were at 1.0 a week ago) and my ammonia is now dropping (from a 4 two days ago). But I don't know if the ammonia is just dropping because I haven't added any in 2 or 3 days. I'm a little confused on the nitrate reading, because it was never that high. It's been at 5 since I've been using the liquid kit. I'm pretty sure the test strips I was using before were inaccurate, so I'm not even gonna pay much attention to those results.

So.. should I add more ammonia? Or leave it alone?

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Okay levels are still the same today.. so still waiting! And now trying to skim off oily residue off the surface..lol

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Well my testing today is as follows:

Ammonia - 3
    Nitrite- .25
    Nitrate- 5

My nitrites have jumped up to .25... before they were between the 0 and .25. I'm thinking that my initial nitrite readings were inaccurate when I first set up the tank because I was using the dip strips. It said they were 1.0..but I don't know. They have been around the same level now for almost a week. My ammonia and nitrates are the same. Does everything seem okay to you guys?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

it wont  let  me give you rep, till i give some to undeserving peeps so enjoy this - bushwhacker   For your little MONSTER! - Crispy   Happy New Year! - Jill   

0 Not allowed!
    Yup. You are just in the beginning stages of your cycle. After 4-6 weeks your ammonia and nitrIte readings will be down to 0
    Why buy, when you can DIY?

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Ok..very excited today! LOL I feel like such a nerd but I am geeked that my water parameters are starting to change

Testing results today as follows:

Ammonia- Between 3 and 4 (didn't *quite* match the 4)
    Nitrate- a shade between 5 and 10 (definitely not 5, but not 10 either)
    Nitrite- 1

Okay so my nitrites have jumped from between .25 and .50 to definitely 1 in two days! My nitrates have also slightly climbed. I know this is a good thing.

How far should I expect my nitrites to climb before they drop to zero? And when should I start expecting my ammonia levels to drop?

Woohoo!!! My tank is on its way!!!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Your first gift on AC, Welcome to the forum! - Brookfish   welcome - Algenco   Welcome to AC - Celtic Fins   Congrats on your awards! - Brookfish   Congratulations on your award. - Celtic Fins   
    Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - rich311k   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - rich311k   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - rich311k   

0 Not allowed!
    You are rolling right along. The ammonia normally goes to zero in two weeks give or take a few days. The nitrites will take three weeks. You are doing just fine.