· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas.A fish for your AC tank - Northernguy   love your posts LOL - Mith   i love your sense of humor - bushwhacker   For your son. - Rue   Happy holidays! p.s I'll take the cookies and beer. - Aeonflame   

Question Red tail kind of a bully, is he predatory?

0 Not allowed!
    I a red tail considered predatory?
    Fish Hugger~
    It's an addiction...deal with it!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks and your first gift!! - The Red Severum   Eggs woo hoo!!! - Gayle   My new buddy.  LOL - Lady Hobbs   because you're always there to help! - gourami*girl   A beer for my fellow canuck! - NickFish   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Northernguy   

0 Not allowed!
    Red tails sharks! aren't predators but they are known to bully.
    RT Cats are!http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fish...ledcatfish.php
    It may be pushing for a larger tank.Much larger.
    Last edited by Northernguy; 12-17-2009 at 09:57 PM.
    Ray Your Freindly Neighborhood,Fully Mod-ified, Self-appointed Pic Hound!! Need pics!!!
    Have you filled out your profile yet ?????????????
    The Fabulous AC ebook Please read>http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/ebook.html

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the quote - **AquaQueen**   Message for you sir! - Aeonflame   

0 Not allowed!
    Red tail cat are predatory as are any large catfish.Not only will they bully smaller fish they will eat any fish they can stuff into there mouths.They also attain lengths of over 3 ft.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas.A fish for your AC tank - Northernguy   love your posts LOL - Mith   i love your sense of humor - bushwhacker   For your son. - Rue   Happy holidays! p.s I'll take the cookies and beer. - Aeonflame   

0 Not allowed!
    Great! Why don't petstores tell you this stuff? When I first started my 50g tank 2 years ago, I got my red tail, along with several kissers and a bala, (all of those rehomed yesterday), anyway, I told them my tank size and they said those fish were perfect (large chain petstore)! Two years later, I've learned not to trust the pet stores. I have only had those fish for the last two years, until my sons birthday, when he got a black moore from grammy. Anyway, we learned quickly over the past two years, that the fish we got, didn't want any newbies or small fish around. After my kissers and bala got over 6 inches, we finally had to rehome for their own well being.

Now with 3 fish in the tank (moore, red tail & blue gourami), I was considering tetras, but now if a red tail will probably just eat them....argh! I'm wondering if I wouldn't be better off selling the 50 g and buying a 100g?! But even then, can a red tail co-exsist with tetras?
    Fish Hugger~
    It's an addiction...deal with it!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks and your first gift!! - The Red Severum   Eggs woo hoo!!! - Gayle   My new buddy.  LOL - Lady Hobbs   because you're always there to help! - gourami*girl   A beer for my fellow canuck! - NickFish   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Northernguy   

0 Not allowed!
    Not for long! The RTC will eat them in no time!
    These fish do get very large.If you are getting a 200+ gallon tank in the very near future I would say keep it.Right now I suggest that you start looking for a new home.I know this is not what you want to hear but it will be best for your fish.
    They don't get along with many other fish,They can eat a fish a alot larger than a tetra without any difficulty.
    Ray Your Freindly Neighborhood,Fully Mod-ified, Self-appointed Pic Hound!! Need pics!!!
    Have you filled out your profile yet ?????????????
    The Fabulous AC ebook Please read>http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/ebook.html

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

couldn't find a turkey for u - Neon   Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill   

0 Not allowed!
    Is it a red tail shark? Or a Red tail cat?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

you needed a gift - Agassizii   Thanks for the tip! - Northernguy   I'm so sorry :( - Oscar_freak12321   Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill   Happy New Years, here's your Pl*co! xD - Oscar_freak12321   
    Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - VoidParadigm   

0 Not allowed!
    In my opinion you need to make a choice. Keep the RTC, or keep the Moore and Gourami. In a cramped space the RTC might kill things simply out of spite.

The only good companions for it are fish mean enough or big enough to not tolerate it's bullying.

Also; lol, don't trust chain petstores. They're out there to get your money, and that's it. Sure, here and there the petstores hire someone who actually knows about fish, but most of the time it's the cheapest employee they can find who maybe once had a goldfish in a bowl as a kid.

Mom & Pop type fishstores are where you'll find good information, and even then they could be mistaken.
    A severe lack of trichogaster.

Just because your Gourami is sick does not mean it is always Iridovirus, DGIV, Gourami Disease, et cetera.
    Look at all the other factors in your tank before coming to this conclusion.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

congrats on MOTM! - Jacko   Another round for my friends - mommy1   Another day, another round for my friends. - mommy1   After all that virtual alcohol it's time to sober up with some virtual food - mommy1   Thanks for your kind words in my blog, it really dose help - Cliff   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - The Red Severum   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - The Red Severum   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - The Red Severum   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - The Red Severum   HIV/AIDS - The Red Severum   

0 Not allowed!
    You should not keep the RTC in any situation. It will get the size of a dog.
    http://images.google.com/images?q=re...N&hl=en&tab=wi

EDIT:
    I would also take a look at this before buying any fish.
    http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=31313
    Last edited by The Red Severum; 12-18-2009 at 04:00 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the quote - **AquaQueen**   Message for you sir! - Aeonflame   

0 Not allowed!
    The rtc can only really be kept if you go with a really big tank.How big,I do not know.You see the pics sev posted,you judge.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

you needed a gift - Agassizii   Thanks for the tip! - Northernguy   I'm so sorry :( - Oscar_freak12321   Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill   Happy New Years, here's your Pl*co! xD - Oscar_freak12321   
    Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - VoidParadigm   

0 Not allowed!
    Having some problems posting, Smaug?

But aye, really big tank. Even 200 gallons wouldn't cut it. An indoor pond is the best option, and for most people that's pretty impossible.
    A severe lack of trichogaster.

Just because your Gourami is sick does not mean it is always Iridovirus, DGIV, Gourami Disease, et cetera.
    Look at all the other factors in your tank before coming to this conclusion.