· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Transporting a very large aquarium.

0 Not allowed!
    Hi this is my first post.

I reciently aquired a very large aquarium. I suppose its about 360 gallons. I dont think that there is any way for me to transport it other than by dismanteling it. Does anyone have any pointers on how to go about taking this monster apart and then reassembling it?

Thanks

0 Not allowed!
    You dont necessarely have to dismantel it. I have transported tanks of that size. All you need is a few guys and a flat area on a trailer to but it on. A piece of cloth between the floor and the tank is also good.

Thanks that size are rather tough, they have to be to cope with the water.
    Do as I say. Not as I do.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the quick response. Although I do have the people availble to move it in one piece, the doorway into the room that it is going to be set up requres it to go in in pieces.

Is there anything that I need to know before I go about this? Or is it as self explanitory as peel away the trim, cut through and clean off the adhesive and then just add clear caulk and new trim for the reassembly?

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    And I am not planning on filling it all the way up with water. I hope to make a terrarium out of it. With both fish and other animals

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    A few beers. That will get it moved. I say get at least 4 big guys to help move it. I have a 180g and I'd say it probably weighs 400lbs empty. If I lived nearby I'd help move it. That's the problem with the world today, u can't get anyone to help do anything. I try to help as much as I can that way the one day I need help, hopefully it comes around full circle. Seriously, AC is full of some great people! I'm sure you could find a few people in your area on here that would be willing to help, have a few beers, and talk fish. Sounds dorky, but not much different than what we do on here.
    Samsonite!!! i was way off!

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'm sorry, I misread. I see you do have people to help move it. That's a bummer if it has to be taken apart to get it into the room. I think it's always scary doing that. I've done it before, but everytime then and in the future, does not keep you livin on edge hoping a leak doesn't spring.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ohhhhh why can't I get it all into one post. I'm not sure of your knowledge on doing such a task, but make sure you get a silicone that's aquarium safe. I know ge makes one that I use, but I can't remember the one. Someone will chime in on which one it is. It has no fungicides in it that kills mold spores, in turn later killing your fish. My best advice, take your time, do it slow. Do not rush. Over caulk, but over caulk neatly. A tank that size, it's would be very wise to over caulk. I can't imagine the mess it would make if it sprung a leak. Eventho you're not filling it up to the top, I got a feeling one day you might. I would!

0 Not allowed!
    How much wider is the tank than the door? You can get about 4 inches more if you take off the door trim and actual door. That is a lot easier than ripping apart the tank.

Or perhaps place the tank somewhere else in your home? Or is the tank too big to fit through the front door of your house?

If you are dead-set on pulling it apart, Northern Guy did a fantastic How-To. Mind you, it is just resealing but its pretty much the same. One tip I can give you is to wear latex/vinal gloves. The natural oil on your hands wil inhibit the silicone from sealing properly to the glass.

Link to NG's resealing post:
    http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ight=resealing

Also, remember that when/if you move, you will need to go through all this again.
    Last edited by LadyHatred; 12-09-2009 at 10:40 AM.
    "It is better to die on one's feet than to live on one's knees."
    - Albert Camus

Awards Showcase

After all that virtual alcohol it's time to sober up with some virtual food - mommy1 I can't drink alone mate - ScottishFish I won't thank you because it's a thankless job 7 also I cannot find any CUC type gifts but thanks [ - 850R Cheers bud - Cliff Time for a Pint? I cannae drink alone - ScottishFish 
    Implied message here. - mommy1 Congrats MOTM !!! - Cliff Cheers! - escamosa I dunno why I'm giving you a skunkloach as your prize,. They just sound cool! :) - escamosa Merry Christmas - KingFisher 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas!! - ScottishFish Happy X-mas! :-) - MCHRKiller Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 A cup of coffee to get you going on that build. - Strider199 
    Merry xmas! - ScottishFish Merry Christmas - mommy1 Happy New Year - mommy1 Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Happy Birthday. - gadget228 

0 Not allowed!
    Time to cut out a bigger door. Easier task then taking apart and then resealing a tank of that size.
    Thar she blows!!!

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyHatred
    How much wider is the tank than the door? You can get about 4 inches more if you take off the door trim and actual door. That is a lot easier than ripping apart the tank.
    that is some great advice! You women are practical thinkers, when I'm sitting here pondering over some other way and realizing there is no other way! Durrrrr!!! Now why didn't I think of that? I used to be a construction worker!