· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 45 of 47 FirstFirst ... 354344454647 LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ah. Did you spot feed them using cliff's method? (I'm curious cause my crocea is really only 3 inches and I kinda want a maxima myself, but the only affordable ones are under 2 inches)
    كل نفس ذائقة الموت ثم الينا ترجعون

0 Not allowed!
    I did not feed it and have never fed any of our clams. Feeding clams, even small ones, is beneficial, but not necessary. When buying one 2 inches or under its kind of a dice roll if it lives for very long. Our very 1st clam was a maxima just under 2 inches, and we fed it a few times, but it only lasted a week. It looked great one day and I found the CUC finishing it off the next. The store gave us a 3 inch dersa as a replacement and its now approaching 9 inches and we haven't ever fed it

29 gallon-planted community

20 long frag tank
    75 gal-planted goldfish

75 gallon mixed reef with 20 gallon sump

0 Not allowed!
    Wow, its been a long time since I've updated and since I've been on the forum. I've had a long busy summer and haven't had much time for the reef. Been focused on my new computer and folding at home team competition hobby.

I've been doing water changes every 3 weeks and its taken a toll on the reef. No losses other then a clam (which got buried by my pistol shrimp) The reef just has a lot of algae (haven't changed gfo in months) and aiptasia (on going problem). I had even put it up for sale earlier in the summer but have since decided to keep it.

Summers over, things have slowed down, so I'm gonna start putting more effort into the reef to turn it back around. Gonna order up more gfo and several Mexican turbos on payday to take care of the algae. I never got a file fish from my local fish store so I'm gonna break down and buy one from live aquaria soon ($70 shipped ) so hopefully I can get rid of the aiptasia once in for all. Hopefully I can have the reef back in tip top shape in a few months.

Despite the lack of care most of my SPS have done surprisingly well and most of my frags are growing off the plug and onto the frag rack I've also had a few colonies start to grow back that I thought were long gone, so other then the algae and aiptasia its not doing half bad

20 long frag tank
    75 gal-planted goldfish

0 Not allowed!
    Glad to hear it's not all that bad.

I'm also glad to see you back here
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    Happens to the best of us... others things come up and sometimes that leads to neglect of our tanks lol glad to hear you're back though!
    55g Long --> After 18mo of doing well the tank crashed during moving. Most likely cause: Flatworm Die-off... won't start another until after moving... Likely not until late 2013

20g Long --> currently concoting a build plan

Check out the journal to follow my 20g SW tank

"Take a chance, because you never know how perfect some things can turn out" -- unknown

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you. 1st order of business is getting rid of the alage. My glass is 3/4ths coraline, lol.

Yeah I'm shocked its actually not doing half bad. I also found out I have another 3 or 4 BTA's for a total of like 8 and one is about to get evicted because its settled in on the back side of my large strawberry fields cap colony

20 long frag tank
    75 gal-planted goldfish

0 Not allowed!
    LOL, if your RBTAs are splitting like that, you sure are doing something right. They only seam to split when well cared for in good water quality
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Default getting back in the game

0 Not allowed!
    Long time no see After my last post, last summer, we pretty much gave up on the 75 gallon because of the endless aiptasia fight. I couldn't find a filefish or copperbanded butterfly. Anything I did just made the aiptasia worse so I just gave up. I stopped changeing gfo, stopped cleaning glass and alage and even stopped fragging and pretty much did a water change every 3-4 weeks and fed and that was it. I was just sick of fighting a loosing battle.

Over the last 8 months the tank didn't do too bad despite lack of maintance. Most of the sps still did well. We only lost 1 fish, a foxface rabbit, and we lost both our our clams. The aiptasia were everywhere. Last week we decided to get back in the game and try one more time. So I ripped out all the bad rock and sand out of the display and replaced it with dry rock and new aragonite sand. Our frag tank and sump had several pounds of rock that didnt have aiptasia, so we used those to the new rock. I also left the sump and frag tank alone to help preserve the pod population

Here is the tank specs as it stands now
    all tanks are still tied together
    75 gallon drilled display
    20 long drilled frag tank
    30 gallon sump
    Roughly 120 lbs of rock and 50lbs sand
    2 mp 40s in the display1 mp10 in the frag tank
    2 apollo reef led fixtures on the display
    1 apollo reef led fixture on the frag tank
    Reef Octopus Skimmer
    Reef Octopus calcium reactor
    2 150 watt visa therm heaters
    Reef Keeper lite lvl 3 controller with ATO
    Mag 9.5 return feeding both tanks
    BRS gfo reactor
    Current Stock in the 75 gallon
    2 false percula clownfish
    1 pink bta
    1 yellow corris wrasse
    1 yellow watchman goby
    1 tiger pistol shrimp
    6 peppermint shrimp
    1 Red Mandarin
    1 yellow tang
    1 orchid dottyback
    1 royal gramma
    1 brittle star and 2 serpent stars
    20 long stock
    1 falco hawkfish
    1 darwin clown

We have still have primarily sps with a few softies and lps. I also just ordered a few bags of live pods to help jump start the pod population to keep our mandarin healthy
    Last edited by labnjab; 04-01-2013 at 11:28 AM.

20 long frag tank
    75 gal-planted goldfish

0 Not allowed!
    Here is the most recent FTS

and a short video

20 long frag tank
    75 gal-planted goldfish

Awards Showcase

Friends don't let friends drink alone, and I'm there for you man - Cliff After all that virtual alcohol it's time to sober up with some virtual food - mommy1 I can't drink alone mate - ScottishFish I won't thank you because it's a thankless job 7 also I cannot find any CUC type gifts but thanks [ - 850R Cheers bud - Cliff 
    Time for a Pint? I cannae drink alone - ScottishFish Implied message here. - mommy1 Congrats MOTM !!! - Cliff Cheers! - escamosa I dunno why I'm giving you a skunkloach as your prize,. They just sound cool! :) - escamosa 
    Merry Christmas - KingFisher Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas!! - ScottishFish Happy X-mas! :-) - MCHRKiller Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 
    A cup of coffee to get you going on that build. - Strider199 Merry xmas! - ScottishFish Merry Christmas - mommy1 Happy New Year - mommy1 Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 

0 Not allowed!
    welcome back! looks pretty decent for being so neglected.
    Thar she blows!!!

Page 45 of 47 FirstFirst ... 354344454647 LastLast