· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 47 12311 ... LastLast

Default labnjab's 75 Gallon Reef Build

0 Not allowed!
    Were quickly collecting the pieces for our tank merger so I thought I'd start a journal. We plan on merging our 2 29 gallon reefs into one 75 gallon rr tank. Our goal is to simulate a reef transition zone with live rock piled up on the right half under a 250 watt phoenix 14000K hqi then it will slope to a large sand area with a few chunks of rock on the left under t-5's. Sps and a clam on the right and lps and softies on the left. It will have the 85 lbs of live rock we currently have along with 20-30 lbs of dry rock

Tank
    Used All Glass aquarium 75 gallon Reef Ready tank. We upgraded the standpipe from a crappy homemade stockman to a better durso style, which I need to make one small adjustment to.

Before

After- The only changes I have to make are adding a street 90 degree to give me more room

The stand is going to be custom made by me so we can fit our lage skimmer underneath. I picked up most of the lumber yesterday and got it cut to size. I'm going to assemble it tonight

Heat- 2 200 wat visa therm stealth heaters hooked up to a temperature controller

Flow- 3 Koralia 2's, 1 koralia 1 and my mag drive 9.5 return pump, this can change depending on how much we like the flow

Skimmer- Coralife 125. We bought it used for $85

Sump- 20 long which is currently running on one of the 29 gallons. Along with the skimmer it will have a refugium with live rock and chaeto, phosphate reactor, and auto-top off

Stock- all the fish in the 2 tanks (see signature) including our bubble tip anemone plus we'll probably add 1 or 2 more fish.

At this point the only thing holding us up is building the stand and buying sand. Were going with a all new sandbed seeded with our old to elimnate any problems with switching over our old sandbed. I have to save up a few more weeks because the sand is going to be about $200 for 200lbs of dry aragonite. Hopefully we'll have everything switched over before christmas

29 gallon-planted community

20 long frag tank
    75 gal-planted goldfish

75 gallon mixed reef with 20 gallon sump

Awards Showcase

Thanks and your first gift!! - The Red Severum Eggs woo hoo!!! - Gayle My new buddy.  LOL - Lady Hobbs because you're always there to help! - gourami*girl A beer for my fellow canuck! - NickFish 
    For being a pic hound!!! - Alfcea thankyou for all your help - sueshewoman A round of gifts for my friends at ac! - Wild Turkey to a very good buddy,happy thanksgiving - angelcakes Congrats on MOTM - Lady Hobbs 
    For being on the ball and having the forum at heart. - Brookfish Thanks for the gift! Now heres one for you ! - CephalopodLover congrats on MOTM - angelcakes same to you - mrs fishpatrick thanks for the help - LORENZO 
    merry christmas - cocoa_pleco sorry for your loss - lovleeko Seasons Greetings! - Brookfish Joyeux Noel!  :) - KrytterKrys Happy Christmas 2008 - fins_n_fur 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Northernguy 

0 Not allowed!
    Sounds like a nice plan!
    I am looking forward to seeing it complete!
    Ray Your Freindly Neighborhood,Fully Mod-ified, Self-appointed Pic Hound!! Need pics!!!
    Have you filled out your profile yet ?????????????
    The Fabulous AC ebook Please read>http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/ebook.html

Awards Showcase

for posting that article, I laughed so much!!!!!!!! - ScottishFish Kick back and enjoy the day when your done your painting - Cliff thanks for the rep! - EowynShieldmaiden Otis thanks you for the rep - Cliff This one will have a longer life span, sorry to hear about your fish - Cliff 
    For being a smarty pants and figuring out my riddle so fast! :) - escamosa The last one of these Ill ever give! Enjoy the AC bucks Rue! - smaug Yes, there is still a place in today's world for the  Darwin Awarads - Cliff Thanks for the Rep!!! :) - C-Dub Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Merry Christmas Rue - jeffs99dime Holiday Ham has come today from the eve until Boxing Day! - Trillianne Merry Cristmas and Happy Holidays Rue. - Strider199 It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 lol, thanks for the rep.  Have one on me! =] - KevinVA 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks!  You have a great holiday season as well! - sheamurai Merry Christmas - gadget228 What is a good Holiday Ham to do, but bring some cheer to my good friend Rue! - Trillianne Just Because - Surfdog 
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Rue Eating Disorders - Esophageal Cancer - Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease - Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Pulmonary Hypertension - Rue 

0 Not allowed!
    Good start!
    55 g Goldfish Tank - 5 Fancies, 2 Dojos
    25 g Tropical Tank - Celestial Pearl Danio/Mixed

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    looking good! I bet you're excited bigger reefs are 10x better

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you everyone. I started building the stand on my lunch break. I made the mistake of not pre-drilling some holes on the 1st piece and split it, so its off to home depot for another board. I have the bottom and 2 legs complete. I'll finish the frame tonight and will get some plywood later in the week to box it in. Here's a quick camera phone pic of what I've done so far

The only concern I have are where the bulkhead fittings come through the bottom of the tank. Its gonna be a tight fit but I'm hoping i'll be ok
    Last edited by labnjab; 11-30-2009 at 04:58 PM.

20 long frag tank
    75 gal-planted goldfish

0 Not allowed!
    Looks awesome so far
    20G High-Tech Planted|50G High-Tech Planted|50G Goldfish Tank|56G Column Low-Tech Planted

4x75Gs coming soon

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you The tank is cleaned up and the stand is almost complete, all that's left now is to take a belt sander to the top to make it even. I ordered 160 lbs of aragonite from marcorocks.com Monday night for $109 shipped (cyber Monday deal) and if its here by Saturday then I'm making the switch Sunday. 160 lbs is going to give me a 3 inch sand bed which is actually all I need. Hopefully nothing else comes up because I am completely out of money Untill the sand comes I'll be mixing up saltwater. I'm using what I can save out of the other tanks but I don't know for sure exactly how much extra I'll need. Between the tank and sump its going to be a 90 gallon system

20 long frag tank
    75 gal-planted goldfish

0 Not allowed!
    Tonights the night i picked up 160# of dry aragonite from marcorocks for $109 shipped. I rinsed ot last night so tonight were gonna make the merge. Look for pics tomorrow afternoon

20 long frag tank
    75 gal-planted goldfish

0 Not allowed!
    Last night didn't go as planned We got 1 tank switched over but didn't get the sump or other tank moved. I had a bulkhead that was bad so I decided not to break down the other tank. I managed to find another bulkhead, but instead of the inside being a slip fitting it is threaded so I need to get some plumbing parts this afternoon and finish switching over the tank tonight

So far whats in the 75 gallon is all of the aragonite, 35 lbs live rock, 35 gallons of water, all my sps, yellow watchman goby and pistol shrimp, firefish goby, bangai cardinal, and part of the cuc. I've got a heater and 2 koralia powerheads in for flow and I marked the glass so I can have a referance for top off. So far all parameters i've checked are in check, 0 ammonia and nitrate, ph is 8.2, and alk is 11. I'll check calcium and magnessium once I get the other tank transfered over which will hopefully be tonight.

We did have two small scares last night. 1st the firefish took the easy way out of the 29 gallon. He decided to ride the siphone hose down to the storage bucket instead of joining the rest of the fish in the fish bucket. Luckily he was small enough that it didn't do any damage to himself and was swimming and looked fine. He was going to be the hardest to catch so it made my job eaisier. 2nd was from our tiger pistol. He deceided to crack his claw as we put him in the other tank and it sounded just like the tank cracked. Its much louder when he's out of the tank then in it.

Hopefully things will go a little better tonight. Its snowing and will be all day so its a good day to finish the tank. I'd have some pics now but photobucket is down

20 long frag tank
    75 gal-planted goldfish

Awards Showcase

for posting that article, I laughed so much!!!!!!!! - ScottishFish Kick back and enjoy the day when your done your painting - Cliff thanks for the rep! - EowynShieldmaiden Otis thanks you for the rep - Cliff This one will have a longer life span, sorry to hear about your fish - Cliff 
    For being a smarty pants and figuring out my riddle so fast! :) - escamosa The last one of these Ill ever give! Enjoy the AC bucks Rue! - smaug Yes, there is still a place in today's world for the  Darwin Awarads - Cliff Thanks for the Rep!!! :) - C-Dub Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Merry Christmas Rue - jeffs99dime Holiday Ham has come today from the eve until Boxing Day! - Trillianne Merry Cristmas and Happy Holidays Rue. - Strider199 It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 lol, thanks for the rep.  Have one on me! =] - KevinVA 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks!  You have a great holiday season as well! - sheamurai Merry Christmas - gadget228 What is a good Holiday Ham to do, but bring some cheer to my good friend Rue! - Trillianne Just Because - Surfdog 
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Rue Eating Disorders - Esophageal Cancer - Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease - Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Pulmonary Hypertension - Rue 

0 Not allowed!
    At least the critter did okay...even if it was somewhat adventursome...

Think how nice it will all look on Xmas eve!
    55 g Goldfish Tank - 5 Fancies, 2 Dojos
    25 g Tropical Tank - Celestial Pearl Danio/Mixed