· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: New fish owner.

1. Question New fish owner.

0 Not allowed!
    I have a one gallon tank for my daughter, how many neon tetras can I saftely have in the tank.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry to say this, but none. I would even be hesitant to put a betta in there. If you want neons, you should get her a ten gallon, and put a dozen of them in there.

In case you don't know about cycling, feel free to read the free e-book.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    None, sorry.

A 1 gallon tank can barely support any fish, and Neon Tetras aren't one of them. In addition, they are shoaling fish, so it is best to have at least 6 Neons for them to feel comfortable. In that case, a 10 gallon aquarium at the bare minimum would be best.
    2500 gallon (9,450 L) Koi Pond

Awards Showcase

Your first gift on AC, Welcome to the forum! - Brookfish welcome - Algenco Welcome to AC - Celtic Fins Congrats on your awards! - Brookfish Congratulations on your award. - Celtic Fins 
    You need one of these too. - Celtic Fins everyones given you one but me! - mommy1 Thanks for Playing Mafia - The Red Severum Congratulations on your award - Celtic Fins congrats on your award! - Brookfish 
    Congrats on your pic award - Celtic Fins Sorry about Blackie and the others mate! - fraggle the algae was meant to be tissues! - fraggle sorry about your fishies - lucyinthesky Ta for the rep! - Wetpets 
    BEST MAFIA PLAYER MAFIA 3.14 - Kaz Christmas in July!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Gayle Congrats on  POTM - Celtic Fins Congrats! - Wild Turkey Congrats on POTM! - Brookfish 
    Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - rich311k Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - rich311k World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - rich311k 

0 Not allowed!
    I am afraid there is not much that can be done with a one gallon tank, maybe a few shrimp.

5. Red face New tank owner

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks guys for the helpful info, looks like I am going to have to spend more money , maybe It will be a Christmas gift for her.

Awards Showcase

Thanks and your first gift!! - The Red Severum Eggs woo hoo!!! - Gayle My new buddy.  LOL - Lady Hobbs because you're always there to help! - gourami*girl A beer for my fellow canuck! - NickFish 
    For being a pic hound!!! - Alfcea thankyou for all your help - sueshewoman A round of gifts for my friends at ac! - Wild Turkey to a very good buddy,happy thanksgiving - angelcakes Congrats on MOTM - Lady Hobbs 
    For being on the ball and having the forum at heart. - Brookfish Thanks for the gift! Now heres one for you ! - CephalopodLover congrats on MOTM - angelcakes same to you - mrs fishpatrick thanks for the help - LORENZO 
    merry christmas - cocoa_pleco sorry for your loss - lovleeko Seasons Greetings! - Brookfish Joyeux Noel!  :) - KrytterKrys Happy Christmas 2008 - fins_n_fur 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Northernguy 

0 Not allowed!
    Welcome to the Fabulous AC!
    Most of us find great deals on used tanks that come with everything on Craig's list or Kijiji.Depending on where you are.
    Ray Your Freindly Neighborhood,Fully Mod-ified, Self-appointed Pic Hound!! Need pics!!!
    Have you filled out your profile yet ?????????????
    The Fabulous AC ebook Please read>http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/ebook.html

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Everything I read says one tetra to every gallon to gallon and a half of water, BUT Tetras are a schooling fish and prefer schools of 6 or more so one tetra in a one gal tank will not be happy. 12 in a ten gallon tank would be borderline overstocking but I'm sure they would be fine. But I'm a beginner too just repeating what I've read.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    That's more a space issue, and I think 10-12 in a 10 gallon would be fine. More than enough room for the shoal to move around. They're very light on a tank's bioload, so I wouldn't worry about that.

You could do a 10gal with neons, some plants, and maybe some red cherry shrimp for her that'd work really well.
    "Never Underestimate the Power of Stupid People in Large Numbers"
    -55 Planted Community: Cardinal Tetras, Harlequin Rasboras, Cherry Barbs, a large mixed school of Bronze, Agassiz, and Panda cories, BN Plecos, Various inverts, African Dwarf Water Frogs, and a mated pair of Kribs
    -10 Growout tank: Currently home to some cory fry, snails, and red cherry shrimp