· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Calico Fantail with badly wounded tail and anal fins

0 Not allowed!
    Hi again

I was wondering if anyone can help. I have this calcio fantail that was bought from a huge fish wholesaler. Anyway I have had him for over a week now and he eats and swims but he has a red streak on one of his anal fins, a slight growth over his mouth and a wounded tail with cotton will like growth.

I have isolated him now and I am treating him with Tetra Goldmed, can any one give me any further advice on this fish. I unfortunately purchased him in this condition.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome to AC - Lady Hobbs   right back at ya - sailor   Congrats! - Northernguy   merry christmas - cocoa_pleco   Happy Holidays! - Northernguy   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - robnepper   

0 Not allowed!
    Oops! Just keep up on the water changes. He sounds like he might be in a bad way.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    how long should i keep him isolated for??? how long should I use the goldmed for?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Member of the month, a toast is in order. - Strider199   Sorry about your blood parrot :-( - ~firefly~   For this; http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=111325 - Strider199   :-) - ~firefly~   Happy mother's day! Enjoy one on me LOL - imma24   
    Childhood Cancer - hobbs   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - hobbs   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Lady Hobbs   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Lady Hobbs   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    I've never heard of that medication but follow the directions and make sure charcoal has been removed from your filter. It doesn't generally take long for fungus to clear up and when it does, good clean water will help to grow his fins back with little problem. Is this medication for bacterial infections, as well? Sounds like this is also a problem.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

couldn't find a turkey for u - Neon   Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill   

0 Not allowed!
    Are there little white salt looking spots anywhere on it? Do the wounds on the lips look like white growths? It sounds like a few of my fish after a ich battle I just waged. The red lines in the fins occured in my pictus from the medication eating his skin. The tails and fins looked chewed on for a while after the ich was gone. But it didn't take long to grow them back.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I'm not familiar with the medicine you're using, but that doesn't mean it's not the right thing to be using.

If the fish were mine, since it's what I "know", I'd be treating him with pimafix and melafix and doing frequent water changes.

I'm happy you got him. I doubt he had a chance where he was before.

Good luck!