· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the clarification - Mith   A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb   sorry about your angelfish - smaug   Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R   Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff   

Default Shrimp eating my fish?

0 Not allowed!
    Hi all
    I've had a couple of disappearances in my tank that had me stumped. I haven't seen them in a couple days, and no little dead fishies floating or sitting anywhere. I'd put it down to mystery deaths, and the shrimp being very efficient cleaners - but something I saw today made me wonder - would shrimp be able to grab and hold a small but healthy fish? Both fish that have gone missing were smaller than some of my shrimp (one card tetra and my newest addition, a very small -just under an inch- chocolate gourami).
    The reason I ask is because today at the feeding frenzy, a medium sized shrimp (say about an inch long) shrimp latched on to my Angel's ventral fin (the long, fine fins that look like feelers), and seemed to eat it. The Angel actually had to dart away - just swimming didn't do it, the shrimp hung on (it looked kinda funny) - it had to jerk the fin away before the shrimp let go.
    So that made me wonder - would a large hungry shrimp snag a small fish over night while it was resting?
    20gal long planted community
    5 gal planted betta

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the quote - **AquaQueen**   Message for you sir! - Aeonflame   

0 Not allowed!
    If your shrimp are twice the size of the fish Id say it could happen.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the clarification - Mith   A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb   sorry about your angelfish - smaug   Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R   Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff   

0 Not allowed!
    Blimey! I thought I was asking a stupid question...almost didn't post it...but looking at the tank, I could picture one big or two small shrimp grabbing my little baby gourami...
    Buggers!
    (and no, I'm not British, lol)
    5 gal planted betta

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Your first gift on AC, Welcome to the forum! - Brookfish   welcome - Algenco   Welcome to AC - Celtic Fins   Congrats on your awards! - Brookfish   Congratulations on your award. - Celtic Fins   
    Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - rich311k   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - rich311k   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - rich311k   

0 Not allowed!
    I would say it is possible if the shrimp are bigger than the fish. they will pick off fry if they can catch them. What kind of shrimp?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Glad you're doing your research! - Rue   Merry Christmas - Northernguy   Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill   

0 Not allowed!
    Wow..never would have thought they could do that. I was thinking about getting red cherry shrimp and was concerned that I got them big enough so they didn't all disappear but I guess I need to find a happy medium.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on the awards! - Northernguy   Active! - Wild Turkey   Really nice Syno pic! - Brookfish   Merry Christmas ! - Northernguy   Have a great Christmas! - Demi ^_^   

0 Not allowed!
    Good grief! I've never heard of shrimp eating fish!!! It does sound like that's what's happening though...I'm off to Google!
    Sharon

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

welcome - Algenco   PIZZAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Sarkazmo   For buying an API test kit - gabbyguppy   No Message - Mith   Happy Birthday - Northernguy   

0 Not allowed!
    First of all you don't mention what KIND of shrimp. I'm assuming Ghost Shrimp as I've SEEN them attack fins and start eating them on a fish 100 times their size. Some Ghosts are EXTREMELY aggressive and, as they're considered "long arm" shrimp they can and will catch things smaller than themselves, kill, and eat it. They'll do it with other shrimp and they'll do it with fish.

Wlepse, you don't have to worry about Red Cherry Shrimp hurting anything. They're completely defenseless and completely peaceful. They're a completely different species from Ghost Shrimp.

Sark

1G Planted Betta tank, 1.5G Planted Betta tank, 10G Planted Swordtail Fry tank,
    10G Neolamprologus Multifasciatus (Shell Dweller) tank. Empty/Work in Progress 135G, 40GB, 2 x 20GL, 2 x 10G
    My aquarium (and more) videos on YouTube

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Next round is on me! :-D - MCHRKiller   Another day, another round for my friends. - mommy1   Friends don't let friends drink alone, Cheers - Cliff   After all that virtual alcohol it's time to sober up with some virtual food - mommy1   I think this will help after the tree - mommy1   

0 Not allowed!
    It could certainly be your shrimp, depending on the species. On another forum I used to go to there was a poster who had some shrimp that was super aggressive (was purchased as a ghost shrimp but was a very aggressive freshwater species that was huge). That shrimp (can't remember what species it turned out to be) caught and ate a full grown tiger barb. The poster had photographic proof, it was crazy. I also had a cannibalistic ghostie that would hunt down and eat other ghosties.
    Quote Originally Posted by i_am_511
    Lighten up its just the internet its not like someone came in your house and punched a baby in the face.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

your first fish - Lady Hobbs   A gift to my mates. - mac   Did you say tankards?  LOL - sandy_n   To your first almost cycled tank - Lady Hobbs   No Message - korith   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lab_Rat
    It could certainly be your shrimp, depending on the species. On another forum I used to go to there was a poster who had some shrimp that was super aggressive (was purchased as a ghost shrimp but was a very aggressive freshwater species that was huge). That shrimp (can't remember what species it turned out to be) caught and ate a full grown tiger barb. The poster had photographic proof, it was crazy. I also had a cannibalistic ghostie that would hunt down and eat other ghosties.

That's the nice thing about ghost shrimp....they're CHEAP! LOL
    Yup, I got fish!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I didn't mentione species because I'm not 100% what they are. Ghost/Glass/Amano seem to be different species when you google them but the names used interchangeably in the hobby. I'm calling the species I suspect of being fishnabbers Amano shrimp, but I was testing the idea of shrimp killing fish, so I didn't want to be told that "x shrimp is an algae eater only". I have two other species of shrimp in there (algae-eating shrimp and vampire shrimp) that I know are peaceful. The amanos are definitley aggressive eaters - they'll steal food from each other and cruise the surface of the water upside down during feeding time. And they do have "long arms" compared to the other species. Now I suspect they killed and ate my cherry shrimp, too!
    Good to know to stay away from adding small juvies of any species to that tank.

thanks all
    Last edited by sheamurai; 11-22-2009 at 12:48 PM.
    5 gal planted betta