· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For the tank. - ranubis89   great pics of Moose! - Jill   Sorry about Moose - annageckos   Thanks for the nomination! - Lab_Rat   

Default Gone for a Week?

0 Not allowed!
    I've heard that it's okay to go some time without feeding fish, but I'll be gone for a week. I leave Friday morning and don't get back until the next Saturday afternoon. I want to try and get an automatic feeder, but I don't think I have the money for it right now. I still haven't gotten my replacement filter, so I'm going to run to the shop Thursday and pick up a small cheap on if they can get it. Do you think it will be alright if I do a big water change the night before I leave and another right when I get back? What about food? Is that too long to leave him without any?
    10g Community planted [java fern, anubias nana, crypts, vals]; male HMP betta [Carcharias], lophiobagrus catfish, blood-fin tetras, ember tetras
    Journal

3g Planted [java fern, crypt]; male delta tail red dragon [Asmodeus]

30g Planned African community with kribs, African Butterfly Fish and dither

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I've heard that fish can go up to a week w/o being fed, but I haven't tried it and I'm thinking that would apply to fish going into the week "fast" in optimal condition.

Is there a way someone could come feed him once 1/2 through the time you'll be gone?

Or could you take him with you?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

a fish for your tank because you've been so patient with cycling - mommy1   Chill out with a beer after the longest fishless cycle ever!  You deserve it! - Fraoch   Congrats on the cycle!  Another little fish for a little tank! - Sir Tristen   Angel for your g/f, good luck keeping the 55! lol - Jaster   Congrats on your award! - Brookfish   

0 Not allowed!
    It should be be fine. Make sure you feed before you leave (not too much).

If someone can come during the week, but the betta should be ok
    30g - Planted - need to do some serious rethinking
    20g - planning
    MS-II

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For the tank. - ranubis89   great pics of Moose! - Jill   Sorry about Moose - annageckos   Thanks for the nomination! - Lab_Rat   

0 Not allowed!
    There's no way I could take him, or anyone could come feed him. I live in a dorm and only have one key, and I think everyone I know is leaving too. I'll see if anyone is getting back early, or maybe if my RA is staying she could let herself in and feed him for me. Do you think a week is too risky to leave him without food? I'm getting really anxious about this. On thursday I'll look for a cheap automatic feeder, I think.
    10g Community planted [java fern, anubias nana, crypts, vals]; male HMP betta [Carcharias], lophiobagrus catfish, blood-fin tetras, ember tetras
    Journal

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

a fish for your tank because you've been so patient with cycling - mommy1   Chill out with a beer after the longest fishless cycle ever!  You deserve it! - Fraoch   Congrats on the cycle!  Another little fish for a little tank! - Sir Tristen   Angel for your g/f, good luck keeping the 55! lol - Jaster   Congrats on your award! - Brookfish   

0 Not allowed!
    RAs didnt stay at my school, I was one, the dorms close and we all leave.

Are you flying home or something? If not, then you can def take it with you
    20g - planning
    MS-II

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Our dorms stay open for the holidays. I doubt she's staying, but she might know someone who is. And yes, I'm flying, hence not being able to take him.
    Journal

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the clarification - Mith   A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb   sorry about your angelfish - smaug   Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R   Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff   

0 Not allowed!
    is there a reason one of those drop-in 5 day cubes wouldn't work? I know bettas like to top feed, but if he's hungry enough I'm sure he'd pick at it...
    20gal long planted community
    5 gal planted betta

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Those 5-day cubes are awful - they murky up the water and will just make an almighty mess.

Not worth it.

Ever
    20g - planning
    MS-II

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah, I think it would only be worth it if it was that or loose my fish.

So as a final opinion... would he be fine for 8 days without food? Maybe if I got a feed cube and broke it up so it was smaller and wouldn't dirty the water as much? I wouldn't mind doing a big water change when I get back.
    Journal

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

for having so many tanks :) - NanoTankGuy   For being a good teacher and helping to educate me! - chel   They didn't have any platys so I got you a pleco! lol - Northernguy   For you mate. - mac   Thanks for all your help and input regarding setting up my 55 gallon!!! - emilyekk   

0 Not allowed!
    It takes a while to starve to death and a week is not a big deal.
    125 - BGK, pictus cats, silver dollars, kissing gouramis, palmas bichir, delhezi bichir
    125 - Red severum, bolivian rams, Turquoise rainbows, irian red rainbows, loaches (angelicus, zebra, kuhli and horseface), plecos (BN, RL and clown), denison barbs, pearl gouramis
    90 - Congo tetras, african knife, elephant nose, spotted ctenopoma, upside down cats

QTs - 29, 20H, 20L, 10