· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Bacteria and discus

0 Not allowed!
    In any heavily planted tank, there is bacteria in the substrate, a few dead leaves and possibly some algae too, no matter how hard you try to keep it clean. It's a natural occurance. I admit that fully.

As for the mulm that collects in the substrate, this is good for plants and most toxins are recycled to be reused as plant fertilizer or escape the aquarium in gas form. (To put it simply)

I've been advised that bacteria in the substrate is not good for discus at all, that they can cause stunting and deformities.
    Here I am, pouring out my heart lol:
    I would never want to do this, and I am now paranoid about my 90g planted tank. I'm just being honest...lol, I do not even have discus yet, but now I'm worried about my angelfish.

Here's a question:
    Why is bacteria in the substrate 'bad' for discus?.....How does the cycle of a planted tank cause stunting and deformities?

Does this apply to growing/breeding discus AND just keeping a few show pets in a well-maintained, flourishing planted tank?

Thanks to everyone who have brought this to my attention.

2. Default

1 Not allowed!
    Generally pathogenic bacteria will exist in mulm and detritus, for instance bacteria responsible for causing columnaris. It's why you will see people advocating cleaning filters on a regular basis.

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks, so basically, since mulm is part of a planted tank, a planted tank is detrimental to every fish?

4. Default

1 Not allowed!
    I wouldn't say that planted tanks are detrimental to every fish. Remember mulm will develop in any filter. The less mulm that you have the less pathogenic bacteria will be growing in that mulm.

0 Not allowed!
    Man, I'm glad I didn't start any journals here, I'd be ripped apart! I thought I was doing ok, it's like hitting a brick wall!

0 Not allowed!
    So, I'm just inceasing the pathogenic bacteria load, putting all my fish at more risk, just to have a nice scape.

But how does that cause deformities and stunting in discus? You are saying that infection chances increase, thus stunting and deformities happen?
    Last edited by angelcraze2; 03-04-2016 at 08:35 PM.

7. Default

2 Not allowed!
    Each fish has a certain tolerance level for nitrates. If nitrates are high (this value varies among differing species), it can affect development of some species of fish. For instance, if you get great plant growth allowing nitrates to reach to 40ppm, you can get poor fish development from egg to adult stage.

3 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by angelcraze2 View Post
    Man, I'm glad I didn't start any journals here, I'd be ripped apart! I thought I was doing ok, it's like hitting a brick wall!
    I'm a bit saddened to learn that you feel this way.

I think that members here share information and their experiences in a respectful way. I would hope that you would not experience "being ripped apart" for some method that you are currently employing.

That said, if you reported on a method that you were using, and another member chimed in with their negative findings of such a method -- based on their own experiences or reputable research -- I would hope that you might be open to change.

I am of the opinion that most everyone who cares enough to be on here for a bit also cares deeply about the well-being of their tank inhabitants. I do realize that I am only one person, on a big forum... but I have read in here a whole lot... even lurked a good while, prior to officially joining.

Journaling is not 'for everyone' and that is fine. To each his/her own. But I do hope that the reason you don't do a journal is out of your own personal preference, not from worry over being attacked. I simply don't see that sort of behavior, here. Instead, I consistently find that 'respect begets respect'. I have not seen disrespectful, or any mean members who remain active members, on this site.

Wanted to add:
    The questions asked by one who is seeking to understand a particular thing are often the basis for very interesting, informative threads. I learn a whole lot, from those sorts of threads. I personally have asked some (what some likely consider) dumb questions... but they were not mocked. Instead, I found patient members who were willing to answer me and explain things. I hope you find similar experiences, here.
    Last edited by RiversGirl; 03-04-2016 at 09:24 PM.

1 Not allowed!
    Sorry RiversGirl! I meant that as a joke....my sense of humor is clearly off! I do care deeply about all my fish. I want the best for them, but I'm honestly am not convinced-yet-that a heavily planted tank puts fish at more risk of developing infection. I mean, plants keep the aqurium clean. That's why I started keeping planted tanks and/or plants in the aqurium. At least, so I thought....

Awards Showcase

Have another tetra just because ;-) - steeler58 Thanks for the plants! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58 Get well soon! - RiversGirl Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! - Plecos 
    Happy Safe Delivery! - Rue Thank you for the assasins - Boundava Sounds like you might need these ... - mermaidwannabe Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Merry Christmas - AmazonJoe 

3 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by angelcraze2 View Post
    No one person has THE only answer. What works for some might not work for others. But it's good to get the opinions of others with some experience when a problem needs a solution you might not have, or when you're just looking for additional information of why something is working or not working.

You've probably seen many differences already: some people do only a strict, fishless cycle with ammonia for every tank; others use media from an established tank and stock right away; still others will do a fish-in cycle. There are pros and cons to each. Some will quarantine, others won't. Some will over stock a tank, others are more conservative. Some plant, some don't. Some treat Ich with heat, some with heat and salt, some with meds. And there are probably many more examples where success has been reached with different methods.

There is a lot of experience here, and when you are stymied by something, it's a great place to toss around ideas and get advice from people who may have already gone through the issues you face. But no one has to follow anything offered here if they have a better plan that works for them. Just be nice and share