· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome to the AC! - Slaphppy7   Name THIS pleco, lol - Slaphppy7   No Message - Boundava   Your Angelfish Tank - Boundava   'Cause the AC is your favorite book, lol - Slaphppy7   

Default What's going on with my Discus and tank!?!?

0 Not allowed!
    I have a few questions and wasn't sure where to post so please bear with me....
    Here's a little recap of recent events:

2/1/17 - bought 2 royal red discus (I was planning on buying more right away but couldn't, long story)

2/9/17 - added 4 more discus (2 cobalt/2 pigeon blood)

2/10/17 - added some live anacharis

My pH is 7.4 (been stable too), ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate usually 5-10 (try to keep at 5 & has never been over 10). Temp is at 81.5. I had turned it down due to some other inhabitants but since adding Discus, I cranked it back up (but maybe not enough!?) I know some people that keep Discus at 80. I don't know. I think I have some decisions to make on which inhabitants to keep happy here. Hmm...

Yesterday, my nitrates were at 5. Did a 50% WC (the last WC was on 2/9). I also removed the filters from the tank and cleaned them completely (first time since tanks been set up, about 7 weeks). I had also used Melafix in the tank when adding the new Discus (only used Melafix for 3 days). Today, nitrates are even higher 5-10.

1st question: Why did my nitrates jump up in one day after such a large WC?
    2nd question: My new discus will sometimes hide, then come out and swim, then hide, then swim.....are they still getting settled? They don't seem to eat very much either :'(
    3rd question: Am I running too much filtration? I'm running 2 AC 110's on a 125 gallon tank.

Thanks for everyone's help!
    65g neons, black neons, serpae tetras, harlequins, zebra danios, ghost shrimp, cory cats, pleco, nerite snails, vampire shrimp

125g cory cats, nerite snails, flower shrimp, white clouds, angelfish, discus

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the points - Silbar   Thanks for the rep - Silbar   Try to stay dry this week. - Silbar   More rep already? Thank you kindly my friend ;-) - steeler58   For my cruel joke. - William   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

4 Not allowed!
    Moved to the Discus section of the forum, hopefully for quicker answers from those that keep them, and have experience.

They're beautiful fish, but the level of care required for them is too complicated for yours truly.

Here's hoping you get some good advice in a more appropriate section of the forum.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome to the AC! - Slaphppy7   Name THIS pleco, lol - Slaphppy7   No Message - Boundava   Your Angelfish Tank - Boundava   'Cause the AC is your favorite book, lol - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks Slap!
    65g neons, black neons, serpae tetras, harlequins, zebra danios, ghost shrimp, cory cats, pleco, nerite snails, vampire shrimp

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the points - Silbar   Thanks for the rep - Silbar   Try to stay dry this week. - Silbar   More rep already? Thank you kindly my friend ;-) - steeler58   For my cruel joke. - William   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    You are welcome, I hope you get some good helpful insight on these fish.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Same here. Thanks again for re-directing my post to the appropriate forum ;)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy new year! - Brookfish   Happy New Year! - The Red Severum   Congratulations on your rep star :-) - Celtic Fins   Welcome back - mommy1   Merry Christmas - AmazonJoe   

5 Not allowed!
    My pH is 7.4 (been stable too), ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate usually 5-10 (try to keep at 5 & has never been over 10). Temp is at 81.5. I had turned it down due to some other inhabitants but since adding Discus, I cranked it back up (but maybe not enough!?) I know some people that keep Discus at 80. I don't know. I think I have some decisions to make on which inhabitants to keep happy here. Hmm...
    My Discus has been slowly acclimitized down to 78'f. No change in his well being or active levels, eating habits or colour.

1st question: Why did my nitrates jump up in one day after such a large WC?
    Is there any chance you possibly damaged any of the BB in the filtration?? Also a possibility that the new stock is adding to the bio load and there is a slight spike to catch up with the bio load. Though I am sure with constant parameter checking that would have shown up?
    How long has this tank been running?

2nd question: My new discus will sometimes hide, then come out and swim, then hide, then swim.....are they still getting settled? They don't seem to eat very much either :'(
    Depending on the tank environment planting and tank decor set up they take time. Mine took quite some time to relax and settle in, about three weeks before he would confidently come to eat. About 5-6 weeks he was able to eat from the top with out issue.

3rd question: Am I running too much filtration? I'm running 2 AC 110's on a 125 gallon tank.
    I see no issue with the filtration. The one thing I did notice with mine is he likes at least a few corners of the tank to escape the current. This was pretty easy to set up. Plenty of plant thickets and drift wood structured to allow eddies for the discus.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Great info on water softeners - Boundava   Thanks for the gift! I bow to your experience so i wanted to be sure that i did not give the OP wrong info. - Silbar   Tx for all the help for me and everyone else! - angelcraze2   Rocksor knows cichlids! - Brhino   Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   

3 Not allowed!
    Nitrates could be higher today because

1. a large amount of decaying matter turned into ammonia at the same time
    2. you didn't shake bottle number 2 of the nitrate test long and hard enough for the first test. I always shake the bottle for about 2 minutes.
    3. Melafix is affecting the test

They may not like the current from the AC110 and they are still new to the tank. Wait a couple of weeks to see if the behavior changes.

I disagree with the amount of filtration you have for large cichlid fish. When adults you will be under filtered. For large cichlids, and discus end up being large cichlids, the filters biological capacity is reduced by half. The AC110 are rated for up to 110g at the most, but cut that in half and each one is good for 55g at the most. When the manufacturer says up to, they are not expecting a tank with large cichlids. You have a 125g.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

welcome to the community! - mojosodope   Welcome to AC - you have some great discus photos! - ~firefly~   Great advice you have Judi ;-) - steeler58   

3 Not allowed!
    Both Fish Fanatic and Rocksor have made some very good points regarding the apparent spike in nitrates, and the possible reasons therefor, as well as the time it can take for discus to become well settled into a new environment.

As for the nitrate increase, it's possible that your water supply has developed a temporary influx of nitrates - have you checked for nitrate levels in water right out of the tap ?

Having said that, I suspect you didn't do a proper testing the day following the 50% wc, as has been pointed out.

I would suggest you do fairly large wcs DAILY, over the next few days to a week or more, and keep checking your params - doing this should mitigate any potential toxicity that may be present if by chance you have eroded a large portion of the nitrifying bacteria by completely cleaning your filters.

2 AC 110 filters are just fine for the size of your tank.

I just hope you won't be experiencing any cross-contamination from adding a number of discus to the initial group without a seemingly proper quarantine.

In any event, lots of clean fresh water often helps in remedying some undesirable conditions that arise when keeping discus, and the passage of time should alleviate your discus' skittishness and hiding.
    Best of luck to you.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocksor View Post
    Nitrates could be higher today because

1. a large amount of decaying matter turned into ammonia at the same time
    2. you didn't shake bottle number 2 of the nitrate test long and hard enough for the first test. I always shake the bottle for about 2 minutes.
    3. Melafix is affecting the test
    I learned the hard way about that #2 bottle with my first tank. :( I do give it a good shake every time now (even if I checked the water the day prior), just to make sure. I wonder if the Melafix is affecting it. Hmm...I will continue to test daily along with WC to be sure

Quote Originally Posted by Rocksor View Post
    They may not like the current from the AC110 and they are still new to the tank. Wait a couple of weeks to see if the behavior changes.
    What kind of filter would you suggest then? I know it's better to have more filtration but if I went bigger, wouldn't there be too much current? Or are you referring to "less" current? Some people suggest canister filters but that's not in the budget right now; however, I would like to learn more about them.

Thanks Rock!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by discuspaul View Post
    As for the nitrate increase, it's possible that your water supply has developed a temporary influx of nitrates - have you checked for nitrate levels in water right out of the tap ?
    Yes. We have well water and I've checked those params on a few occasions. Ammonia/Nitrite/Nitrate all 0.

I would suggest you do fairly large wcs DAILY, over the next few days to a week or more, and keep checking your params - doing this should mitigate any potential toxicity that may be present if by chance you have eroded a large portion of the nitrifying bacteria by completely cleaning your filters.
    Sounds good. Thanks for the advice.

I just hope you won't be experiencing any cross-contamination from adding a number of discus to the initial group without a seemingly proper quarantine.
    You're right. Quarantine I did not do. Should I have purchased a QT & cycled prior to adding my fish...probably but I know a lot of people that don't and still have success. I did get all the Discus from the same place and they keep good tanks/care. When I brought them home, I floated the bag and then added them to a bucket and acclimated via drip method. Kept lights off on the tank after adding. The 2 original discus I added were fine. The second group I added now hide from time to time.

Best of luck to you.
    Thank you for all your advice ;)