· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Electrical outage and discus

0 Not allowed!
    First off I am new to discus and from what I have read they are very delicate. I live in NY on long Island on Saturday a 2pm because of a Northeaster Storm my power was lost. No pump no heater for 50 hours. My tank went from 85 to 53 degrees my 6 discus were swiming side ways one was dead. As soon as the power went on I did a 40% water change using hot water only and got the tank to 72 degrees right away. Almost as soon as I did the change they started to become more alive. The next day I put some aquarium salt in the water after the guy in the pet shop told me it was good for stress. Its 4 days later and they are fine. There is no way I would have thought any would make it let alone 5 out of 6.

thanks
    Last edited by Lady Hobbs; 03-19-2010 at 03:29 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    Comments to your post will be here in the forum and not via emails. That's what a forum is for so others can read the questions and answers. I have deleted your email addy for privacy reasons.

Glad you were able to save those Discus.

3. Default question

0 Not allowed!
    hi

Thanks i was glad too. I know you took off my email and i understand now why but you also took off my question if anyone had a similar experiance

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Discus are more resiliant than what most people think. They can handle a lot. Glad to hear most came out ok.

-Ryan
    Aquatic Eco-
    Systems Technician

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I was shocked and very happy and they are now back to normal

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Wow, that does seem surprising, but I imagine your tank must have been clean and well kept before the power went out.

Power outages are a bit of a concern for me as I live in Maine and we see a lot of snow.. but so far I have not lost power yet.

I'm also lucky that my father is a lineman for the local utility company... it's no coincidence our street always seems to be the only one that gets its power before anyone else lol.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Your right my tank was kepted really well and the fish were in great shape. look into a power pack if you get lots of outages. I am looking into one now...thanks for the reply

0 Not allowed!
    You need to do a water change now. That aquarium salt is stressing your discus out even more. I am glad to here that most of your discus made it through the power outage.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by troy
    You need to do a water change now. That aquarium salt is stressing your discus out even more. I am glad to here that most of your discus made it through the power outage.
    False. Discus handle normal salt levels just fine (3-4ppt being defined as "normal"). What he has in his tank is way below that mark im sure.

-Ryan
    Aquatic Eco-
    Systems Technician

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ryan

I agree with you. I used the salt as directed and I do water changes every 5 to 7 days and I do about a 35% change when I do. Things are back to normal and to the plus side I don't worry as much about them as I did if they can go through that they are hardier then I thought. I watch the PH level and feed a lot of live food and frozen food. I can't get them to eat dry food. Thanks for you reply.

Augie