· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    just ordered dewormer flake thank you!

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Metro is best for Heximita...when your fish stay to the back of the tank, pointed toward the back, slow or stop eating altogether. It's good you'll have it on hand, but I don't think you need it IMHO.

I'm not a fan of Melafix/Pimafix. I think they're great for aiding in healing, but not curing. The drug of choice is Furan 2 which is a wide spectrum bactericide for both gram positive and gram negative bacteria. Mostly external, but also treat internal.

Also just to add regarding worms. PraziPro is great if they have tape worms and such. Between the PraziPro and the fenbendazole, it takes care of most worms issues. It's hard to say which worms he/she has, but these meds will take care of the issues. I would start with whichever one you can get the fastest. PraziPro is often sold in local fish stores or can be ordered online.

As for your gravel, you may find yourself with reoccurring illnesses, which stem from water quality issues that most likely could be eliminated with removing your gravel and getting a courser sand that still can be vacuumed. You could try just taking out most of the gravel to about an inch (enough to hold down your plants). I would also recommend adding another water change each week @ 30% each or do two @ 50% and see how that goes. Be sure to do a thorough vacuuming each time. These steps will greatly increase your water quality and promote growth. Be sure to wipe the inside of your tank down each time with paper towel to remove slime coat build-up, which also can foster bacteria growth.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Discus_Dude; 03-04-2010 at 11:16 PM.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    can I deworm and treat for the bacterial infection all at once?

Update: all fish have mild cloudy eyes, ordered Furan 2 but wont be here till saturday... No one in town has it in stock.. Kinda worried.. Anything I can do to slow the bacterial thing down till the furan gets here? I lowered the temp to 82 it isnt there yet but should be within a day.

Also I will take out my rocks I think this is the reason my fish often fall ill, thanks again!

-Naomi

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    From my brief reading on the problem, first thing that sent a red flag up in my mind was that you got new fish a few days ago....and now they're sick (correct?). Lack of quarantine is the root cause for the current issue im sure. Also, I would avoid using straight RO for your water changes. All fish need minerals to survive (it affects metabolism, skeletal growth, nerves, etc). Whynot use tap water? Because of your nitrates in the water (20ppm)?? Honestly, they would do better in the tap water with elevated nitrate levels and having more stable conditions than being in mineral free RO water. Because it is straight RO, there is zero alkalinity in it which buffers the water against pH changes (alkalinity also helps fuel your biological filter as well).

As for a fix at the problem at hand.....if its just cloudy eyes, I bet salt and a GOOD tank cleaning/water change would go a long way. 1/2 cup salt per 10 gallons will get you in the 1-2ppt salinity range and should help a lot. That combined with a tank enema and things should be doing better. If in doubt Furan 2 would work fine, however I strongly believe it is a simple water quality issue. But if not dealt with soon it can become something more, requiring the use of antibiotics.

-Ryan

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Just did a 50 - 60% ish water change. Tap in LA isn't very good. Since i switched them to RO they seem much happier. And I don't think there tank is 100% RO yet, just switched a bit ago. I ordered Discus essentials and RO right to add all the good stuff back in, cause I know your right.. lol

Also are you sure discus can take that much salt? Ive read a bit about it and people have heart attacks when you even put the slightest bit in.

They seem much happier now. I will change the water again tomorrow 20% or so and go from there.

I also took out most of the rocks. There are only enough to cover the bottom, and hold down a few plants (less than an inch) and when I was taking it out I felt awful for having it in there =o( all this muck came out. I have nitra-zorb activated carbon a poly filter and extra filter media to clean up the rest of the muck.

Thanks for all of the help I really appreciate it!

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by naomilynn
    Just did a 50 - 60% ish water change. Tap in LA isn't very good. Since i switched them to RO they seem much happier. And I don't think there tank is 100% RO yet, just switched a bit ago. I ordered Discus essentials and RO right to add all the good stuff back in, cause I know your right.. lol

Also are you sure discus can take that much salt? Ive read a bit about it and people have heart attacks when you even put the slightest bit in.

They seem much happier now. I will change the water again tomorrow 20% or so and go from there.

I also took out most of the rocks. There are only enough to cover the bottom, and hold down a few plants (less than an inch) and when I was taking it out I felt awful for having it in there =o( all this muck came out. I have nitra-zorb activated carbon a poly filter and extra filter media to clean up the rest of the muck.

Thanks for all of the help I really appreciate it!
    I have had discus at a salinity of well over 4-5 ppt with little issues long term. If you're going for a high salinity like 4-5ppt dont dump it all in at once, space it out over a day or so. Keep in mind though that this is regarding domestic fish and not wilds.

-Ryan

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Some folks use salt at each water change...I'm not a fan of on-going usage, but do believe in its useful as a treatment depending on the health issues.

I would definitely add 1-2 tablespoons/10 gals, but I lean to the conservative end of usage.

I would vacuum out all the muck though. Think of food with mayo out in the sun at a summer picnic. It doesn't take long for harmful bacteria to form and fowl the water, so it would be with decaying food trapped in your tank or waste. That's why I'm not a fan of gravel.

With discus it's important not to overfeed where leftovers can settle to the bottom of the tank able to get stuck in the gravel. If this is an issue, you may want to cut back on feeding or increase your vacuuming of your substrate. I use a smaller 1/4" tube (like my drain tube into my RO storage barrel). It draws less water, but you can clean the bottom of the tank quicker. So I end up only removing 1/4 of the amount of water that I would with a gravel vac. Just an option.

Best of luck...and keep me posted.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I removed almost all of the rocks, My boyfriend says EVERYTHINGS gotta go. Fake plants fake drift wood, gravel.
    Think this would be okay? Or will it take out a lot of the good bacteria also? And wont that stress them out?

Do you think it is better to use tap or RO right now? While I'm waiting for my RO conditioners to come. Maybe when I do a water change today half RO and half Tap?

Thanks for the help, also my fish arrant looking any better today. Actually a lot worse. Darker in color and the same cloudy eyes. Ill add the salt and go form there while I wait for meds to come.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The majority the nitrification process is in your filter media such as ceramic rings, so you'll be fine. I do think it would be a good idea to remove everything for now until you get your discus on the right track at the very least. I only have sand in my tanks..no plants, driftwood or other decorations until my fish are adult-size. The are much more stable health-wise when they are adults.

I am concerned for you if didn't get all the much out of your tank and go a very good cleaning. It's important.

If you really think they are getting bad, you could consider API's General Cure, which most fish stores carry, but if you think you can hold off good clean water and salt will go a long way.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    in going down to Chatsworth to get discus essentials and Kents RO right. I think I'll do another major water change 50%? and remove everything.

I also picked up furan 2, think I should treat with it or hold off? They seem to be getting worse rather than better. even after my water change yesterday. I think I'll eventually throw sand back in and that's it, but I'll hold off till they r better.

thank you so much for your help, I hope this thread will help people in the future too.. lol

thanks so much!