· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default Diagnostic Questionnaire:

0 Not allowed!
    Dear All:

Should you need help with diagnosing problems with your fish or tank(s), the following checklist and/or questions may prove valuable. Feel free to copy and paste it into your post in order to give those who wish to respond an overview of your issue, routine, and supporting systems.

DIAGNOTIC QUESTIONNAIRE:

General Items:
    1. When did the problem start:
    2. Are you using a quarantine/hospital tank:
    3. Diet, what do you feed your fish:
    4. Feeding schedule:
    5. List tank inhabitants and sizes if needed:
    6. How long have you had them:
    7. Tank and filter cleaning schedule:
    8. Where did you get them (breeder/Local Fish Store):
    9. Medications/ salt treatments recently used or tried to treat this problem:
    10. How long has your tank been up and running:

Physical condition or behavior of the fish (plus, when did it begin)
    1. Bloated/ Constipated:
    2. Clamped fins:
    3. Cloudy eyes:
    4. Darkened or Faded Color:
    5. Excessive slime production:
    6. Flashing/rubbing against tank objects
    7. Loss of Appetite or Not eating:
    8. Loss of balance
    9. Pin like holes, craters around eyes/forehead or along the lateral line:
    10. Rapid breathing, dysfunctional gill:
    11. Red Sores or raised scales or bumps:
    12. Sluggish:
    13. Stays in the back or corner tank areas or pointed toward the back of the tank:
    14. Stringy white feces:
    15. Stringy mucus:
    16. Swimming Upside Down:
    17. Tilted upward/downward:
    18. Visible parasites (describe appearance and location):
    19. White spots, salt like flecks, velvety appearance, cotton like growths etc.:
    20. Other unusual changes such as increased aggression:

Water parameters:
    1. pH:
    2. Hardness (GH//KH) :
    3. Phosphates:
    4. Temperature:
    5. TDS:
    6. Source: Municipal/Well, R/O (Reverse Osmosis), Rain Water:
    7. Water change routine: i.e. 50 % daily, weekly monthly etc.:
    8. Straight from the tap or Aged:
    9. Appearance: i.e. cloudy, green, clear, yellowish, foam etc. :
    10. Odor i.e. smells clean or sulfur-like/match smell

Water Conditioners/Buffers Additives:
    1. De-chlorinator conditioner i.e. Prime:
    2. AmQuel Plus
    3. PH adjusters:
    4. Salt:
    5. Peat or other Resins:
    6. Baking Soda, Crushed Coral, etc.:
    7. Other: (i.e. Skimmer, Ozone, CO2, Carbon Reactor, etc)

Tank parameters:
    1. Size in gallons/liters?
    2. Substrate.? (Bare bottom, gravel, sand..)
    3. Planted? (Please name or state if plastic)
    4. Drift wood?
    5. Other decorations:

Filter Types: (include “gph” rating/turnover and/or brand and model)
    1. Wet/dry?
    2. Canister (Hagen, Eheim, Rena etc) ?
    3. Hang-on-the Back (AquaClear , Marineland, etc)?
    4. Sponges?
    5. Supplemental air?

Media Used:
    1. Carbon
    2. Floss/Foam
    3. Cartridge
    4. Sponges
    5. Ammo-Chips

Lighting (for algae/plant growth issues)
    1. Hood type:
    2. Bulb type size, watts, and spectrum:
    3. Light/dark cycle (number hours on/off)
    Last edited by Lady Hobbs; 11-15-2009 at 10:17 PM. Reason: edit by request
    I'm not always logged in, but if you PM me, I'll get back to you quickly.

0 Not allowed!
    Very nice write up and thanks for the time it took you to write it and bring it to the forum.

Awards Showcase

Friends don't let friends drink alone, and I'm there for you man - Cliff After all that virtual alcohol it's time to sober up with some virtual food - mommy1 I can't drink alone mate - ScottishFish I won't thank you because it's a thankless job 7 also I cannot find any CUC type gifts but thanks [ - 850R Cheers bud - Cliff 
    Time for a Pint? I cannae drink alone - ScottishFish Implied message here. - mommy1 Congrats MOTM !!! - Cliff Cheers! - escamosa I dunno why I'm giving you a skunkloach as your prize,. They just sound cool! :) - escamosa 
    Merry Christmas - KingFisher Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas!! - ScottishFish Happy X-mas! :-) - MCHRKiller Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 
    A cup of coffee to get you going on that build. - Strider199 Merry xmas! - ScottishFish Merry Christmas - mommy1 Happy New Year - mommy1 Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 

0 Not allowed!
    Great writeup DD!
    Thar she blows!!!

Awards Showcase

Your first gift on AC, Welcome to the forum! - Brookfish welcome - Algenco Welcome to AC - Celtic Fins Congrats on your awards! - Brookfish Congratulations on your award. - Celtic Fins 
    You need one of these too. - Celtic Fins everyones given you one but me! - mommy1 Thanks for Playing Mafia - The Red Severum Congratulations on your award - Celtic Fins congrats on your award! - Brookfish 
    Congrats on your pic award - Celtic Fins Sorry about Blackie and the others mate! - fraggle the algae was meant to be tissues! - fraggle sorry about your fishies - lucyinthesky Ta for the rep! - Wetpets 
    BEST MAFIA PLAYER MAFIA 3.14 - Kaz Christmas in July!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Gayle Congrats on  POTM - Celtic Fins Congrats! - Wild Turkey Congrats on POTM! - Brookfish 
    Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - rich311k Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - rich311k World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - rich311k 

0 Not allowed!
    Very well done. That is a great idea.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks All! In asking fellow hobbyist, breeders, and professionals alike, I've asked or been asked all these same questions myself. As you know, accurate diagnosis is important and can be very difficult without having enough knowledge of the effected tank's set-up, water and equipment cleaning routine, water parameters and so on as listed above.

I hope this (not so short) quick reference will at least help when needed to think of the many things that should be evaluated in order to maintain a healthy ecosystem for our fish.

Best Always!
    I'm not always logged in, but if you PM me, I'll get back to you quickly.

6. Unhappy Help diagnosing? please =o)

0 Not allowed!
    DIAGNOTIC QUESTIONNAIRE:

General Items:
    1. When did the problem start: 2 days ago (although he has been thin for awhile, more on this later)
    2. Are you using a quarantine/hospital tank:No (although im thinking about doing so)
    3. Diet, what do you feed your fish: frozen bloodworms and cichlid delight along with some pellet food
    4. Feeding schedule:9am and 9pm every day
    5. List tank inhabitants and sizes if needed: 7 discus, two are wild. All different sizes. two 6inch, one 4inch, and four 2-3inch
    6. How long have you had them: one 3inch for about 9 months, the rest i received by mail two days ago (and they are not sick...as of yet)
    7. Tank and filter cleaning schedule: twice a week with RO water only
    8. Where did you get them (breeder/Local Fish Store): online breeder in florida, and the one who is sick is from a local fish store
    9. Medications/ salt treatments recently used or tried to treat this problem: tried treating with a hand full of salt (hear they can take small amounts of salt just fine) and my temp is at 87.
    10. How long has your tank been up and running:3 years +

Physical condition or behavior of the fish (plus, when did it begin)
    1. Bloated/ Constipated:none
    2. Clamped fins:left fin only, today
    3. Cloudy eyes:yes, two days ago.. but its on and off I have just finished treating this fish for a bacterial infection of his fins and his fins are now healing
    4. Darkened or Faded Color: dark color, but only sometimes..he is a moody little fellah
    5. Excessive slime production: no
    6. Flashing/rubbing against tank objects: no
    7. Loss of Appetite or Not eating: no
    8. Loss of balance: somewhat tilted to the side but this may be because of his poor clamped fin..
    9. Pin like holes, craters around eyes/forehead or along the lateral line:no
    10. Rapid breathing, dysfunctional gill:no
    11. Red Sores or raised scales or bumps:no
    12. Sluggish:eh? sometimes, this goes in and out like his coloring
    13. Stays in the back or corner tank areas or pointed toward the back of the tank: no
    14. Stringy white feces: not sure
    15. Stringy mucus:no
    16. Swimming Upside Down:no
    17. Tilted upward/downward:no
    18. Visible parasites (describe appearance and location):no
    19. White spots, salt like flecks, velvety appearance, cotton like growths etc.:no
    20. Other unusual changes such as increased aggression:none

Water parameters:
    1. pH:7.8
    2. Hardness (GH//KH) : dont have a testing kit, local store is out I use only RO water so it should be rather soft
    3. Phosphates: sorry guys dont know this one, feel free to educate me though
    4. Temperature:87
    5. TDS: also don't know about this one and please feel free to educate me .. =o)
    6. Source: Municipal/Well, R/O (Reverse Osmosis), Rain Water:RO
    7. Water change routine: i.e. 50 % daily, weekly monthly etc.:30% twice a week
    8. Straight from the tap or Aged:Ro water from the super market
    9. Appearance: i.e. cloudy, green, clear, yellowish, foam etc. : he is a solid blue discus he gets bright blue and happy then dark and sluggish but he always eats. and when he is dark he is never black just a dark blue. no one seems to be bullying him. He is also VERY thin, but always eats. Im thinking internal parasite? and if so do I separate him? or treat the whole tank? Everyone else looks fine cause they have only been in there for 2 days. Bad timing for new fish.. i know
    10. Odor i.e. smells clean or sulfur-like/match smell: no odor

Water Conditioners/Buffers Additives:
    1. De-chlorinator conditioner i.e. Prime: AmQuel plus
    2. AmQuel Plus: yes
    3. PH adjusters: none
    4. Salt: a hand full and haven't done a water change since
    5. Peat or other Resins:no
    6. Baking Soda, Crushed Coral, etc.: no
    7. Other: (i.e. Skimmer, Ozone, CO2, Carbon Reactor, etc) Melafix by API its an antibacterial fish remedy (just seems to be tea tree extract smells minty)

Tank parameters:
    1. Size in gallons/liters? 60 gallon
    2. Substrate.? (Bare bottom, gravel, sand..): white gravel which gave my tank OT syndrome a few months ago and killed off all my discus but one. Nitrate levels and ammonia are all very low. Ammonia is at 0 and nitrate 10ppm (which is good for where I live cause the water here has 20ppm minimum out of the tap) which is why I recently switched to only RO
    3. Planted? (Please name or state if plastic) plastic
    4. Drift wood? use to be, it has been removed and was replaced with plastic driftwood till i find a piece i like.
    5. Other decorations: nothing

Filter Types: (include “gph” rating/turnover and/or brand and model)
    1. Wet/dry? wet? I have a uniqarium (built in filter in the back) I dont know much about it but it has bio balls and maybe four chambers? Along with a white sponge type filter medium. I also have a bag of activated carbon in there and nitra-zorb.
    2. Canister (Hagen, Eheim, Rena etc) ? no
    3. Hang-on-the Back (AquaClear , Marineland, etc)? no
    4. Sponges? see above
    5. Supplemental air? see above

Media Used:
    1. Carbon: yes
    2. Floss/Foam: yes?
    3. Cartridge: no
    4. Sponges: not seems to be more of a floss/foam its pretty hard and white but still bendable etc but not like a sponge
    5. Ammo-Chips: bio balls?

Lighting (for algae/plant growth issues)
    1. Hood type:has a lid ill attach photos
    2. Bulb type size, watts, and spectrum: UV and normal? Not to sure haven't bought a bulb in years.. one is blue light and one is yelloish light. both at the same time is a very bright white light
    3. Light/dark cycle (number hours on/off): 9am on 9pm off

oh and I just looked at him again and he doesn't have his fin clamped to his side. everyone else looks fine he just doesn't look good at all. Here are some pics.

http://pbckt.com/sd.zuP

Main things id like to know:
    internal parasites? if not then what is your best guess?
    What and how to treat? with minimal stress
    Hospital tank or entire tank?
    Will my whole tank get it?
    I ordered Metronidazole and it should be here tomorrow AM, Is this an okay treatment? thoughts?
    Thank you for your help everyone!!!
    Best,
    Naomi

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Have you ever de-wormed your discus? This is good to do when they are first new and on a periodic basis. Sometimes discus eat just fine, but you mentioned being thin and that is one sign that internal worms may be taking away nutrients.

You mentioned treating for a bacterial issues. What did you use? Furan 2?

What substrate do you have now? Gravel is not good for discus IMO because it's too difficult to maintain good water quality that discus require. Sand is okay because it won't trap waste and debris so easily. Bare bottom is really good if you're raising juveniles.

TDS=total dissolved solids, which is common calcium/magnesium and carbonate primarily in all our water. Discus like a range between 100-400, but tolerate higher. There are meters on eBay that measure TDS, but you're using RO water. Most folks add back in trace elements and nutrients that are good for fin and gill development. I personally use Kent's RO Right and their Discus Essentials to reconstitute my water for good health.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I just looked at your pictures (sorry). Your sick fish looks like a Blue Diamond. His eyes appear rather large for his body ratio, which is a sign of being stunted. This also supports the internal worms diagnosis that would limit growth if your discus isn't getting the nutrients that it needs from the food being eaten.

It's still very possible to put some growth on this little guy and get him back on track. If he is eating, I prefer medicated flake food that contains fenbendazole.

I buy from http://www.angelsplus.com/MedsParasite.htm given their pricing, great packaging, and qood sized quantities for the price.

It won't hurt to feed your entire tank. You feed only once a day every other day and no other foods during the treatment period.

BTW, your temp is high when bacterial issues are suspected. Reduce to 82 during bacterial treatments given higher temps promote bacterial reproduction.

Best of luck!

9. Default never dewormed

0 Not allowed!
    I have never dewormed, any certain kind you would suggest?
    Also I have gravel now, I assume I should remove it as soon as possible and replace it with sand? I tried sand once in a 25 gallon and all it did was muck up the water, do you have to rinse it a ton?

Also should I not treat my tank with any medication then?

I used API's tripal sulfa, which never fails to kill off most of my fish. I used it and it didnt seem to do much so after two treatments I started using the APT teatree oil i talked about (melafix) and he seemed much much better, eating again etc. His fins are healing up very well, however he is skinny now and had black eyes.
    Did you see my photo link? You can see him there along with the others, everyone looks great but him.

Thank you so much for your help, I cant thank you enough for helping me out.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    just read your other reply, Awesome! Thank you so much!

So you don't suggest I treat the tank with the medicine i ordered? Also I have never fed them flake food, think they will get hungry enough to eat it? Sure hope so =o)

-Naomi