· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default how to prepare your own gravel

0 Not allowed!
    one of the most expensive part of decorating a tank is the gravel. if you use store bought, no problem if you have a large buget, but for people like me, who dont have an extra 40 dollars to put gravel in a large tank, why not get your own? once you know where you are getting your gravel, go collect the amount you will need. from here, simply rinse like store bought, but before putting in the tank, let it dry and rinse it several more times to get rid of any parasites or bacteria living in the rocks.

75 gallon freshwater, 1 pleco, 1 pumkinseed hybrid sunfish, 1 crayfish, 1 sengal bichir,1 convict cichlid.
    45 gallon-ball python-20 gallon-honduran milk snake. 35 gallon-black rat snake
    10 gallon-black rat snake
    90 gallon reef tank
    10 gallon, 2 darters, 2 cory cats
    come over and count all the scales at my house some time!

0 Not allowed!
    There are many ways that are far less expensive than store bought gravel that don't bear the risk of parasites. My favorite would be finding a bulk gravel supplier, someone who carries different types of gravels for driveways or walkways, most of them make great inexpensive (less than 5 cents a lb here) way to get a substrate for a tank.

that being said, locally acquired substrates work too... I think it's Mac that has sand that he picked up from along the bank of a lake or ocean in one of his tanks and it looks great. I'm going to grab a bucketfull of a sand/clay mix from a local stream to see how it does at growing plants...

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    clay is pretty good with plants as it gives them a better anchor and holds nutrients better.

75 gallon freshwater, 1 pleco, 1 pumkinseed hybrid sunfish, 1 crayfish, 1 sengal bichir,1 convict cichlid.
    45 gallon-ball python-20 gallon-honduran milk snake. 35 gallon-black rat snake
    10 gallon-black rat snake
    90 gallon reef tank
    10 gallon, 2 darters, 2 cory cats
    come over and count all the scales at my house some time!

Awards Showcase

Thanks and your first gift!! - The Red Severum Eggs woo hoo!!! - Gayle My new buddy.  LOL - Lady Hobbs because you're always there to help! - gourami*girl A beer for my fellow canuck! - NickFish 
    For being a pic hound!!! - Alfcea thankyou for all your help - sueshewoman A round of gifts for my friends at ac! - Wild Turkey to a very good buddy,happy thanksgiving - angelcakes Congrats on MOTM - Lady Hobbs 
    For being on the ball and having the forum at heart. - Brookfish Thanks for the gift! Now heres one for you ! - CephalopodLover congrats on MOTM - angelcakes same to you - mrs fishpatrick thanks for the help - LORENZO 
    merry christmas - cocoa_pleco sorry for your loss - lovleeko Seasons Greetings! - Brookfish Joyeux Noel!  :) - KrytterKrys Happy Christmas 2008 - fins_n_fur 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Northernguy 

0 Not allowed!
    Pea gravel would look good.
    Its all round pebbles.It wouldn't be good for planting because it moves around too much.
    I would at least clean it in hot water.
    Ray Your Freindly Neighborhood,Fully Mod-ified, Self-appointed Pic Hound!! Need pics!!!
    Have you filled out your profile yet ?????????????
    The Fabulous AC ebook Please read>http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/ebook.html