· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default DIY sponge filter question

0 Not allowed!
    I made one of those DIY sponge filters that uses an air pump. The sponge is about 3.5x3.5 inches, the uplift tube 1/2 inch in diameter x 6 inches long (in a shallow 24x12 inch used for a fry tank), the airpump is rated for 5 to 15 gallons. Does anyone have any idea how to guesstimate the gph of a DIY sponge filter?

0 Not allowed!
    Outstanding question but unfortunately I have no idea. I think this would involve some significant number crunching.
    8 tanks running now:
    1x 220 gallon, 2x55 gallon, 1x40 gallon long, 1x29 gallon, 1x20 gallon long, 1x5.5 gallon, 1x2 gallon
    Gouramis, barbs, rasboras, plecos, corys, tetras, fancy guppies, swordtails, ottos, rainbow shark, upside-down catfish, snails, and Max and Sparkles the bettas.

0 Not allowed!
    Estimation would be difficult, but you could measure it with a flow valve.
    -Dr. James

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I think Monkeypox is spot on here. The only really accurate way is with a flow meter.

The real question is why is the number important to you? Is is just a curiosity, or is it part of a larger calculation you are doing for your tank?
    All forms of humor have been removed from my signature for your safety.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    That could be a difficult calculation, I have an idea that may give you an estimate. Its a bit over complicated though. I've made a bad drawing I will use to help try and explain it. Ok, so fill a 5 gal bucket with water, find a container that fits flush up against your DIY sponge filters output, it MUST have some sort of measurement marked on it . use your preferred method to make sure the two are attached snugly, but obviously not permanently. ok, now is where its going to stop making sense. make two SOLID supports across the top of the 5 gallon bucket, they must be non flexible AND anchored in some way to the bucket. these will keep the filter and the empty container of water from just floating totally unbalanced. Also make 2 somewhat flexible supports that provide tension, I'd use rubber bands, and attach these to the ends of the solid supports and somehow to the filter and empty holding tank. once you have done this, run the filter for 1-10 minutes, its gonna depend a lot on the size of your small holding tank, keep track of the time it takes to fill up to your measurement mark on your holding tank, and then some simple multiplication will give you your GPh for the filter. ok heres the bad drawing, and I'll make a quick key for it too. Honestly i would not bother to do this, but it kinda popped into my head as I was reading your post, it may not even work as i intended. It's almost a Rube Goldberg device LOL
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by lobsternoob; 11-01-2009 at 01:17 AM.
    No matter how much I learn or know I'm still gonna be a NOOB, but that doesn't mean I'm an idiot!

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well, maybe not QUITE as complex as a Rube Goldberg but a great idea for figuring it out!
    All forms of humor have been removed from my signature for your safety.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    hehe thanks Cristoff, ya I was exaggerating a bit with the rube goldberg thing, but the idea would still be way more effort than I would expend for the cause after looking at what i wrote, prolly be better off just running the tank and testing it to figure out if the filter does its job or not.
    No matter how much I learn or know I'm still gonna be a NOOB, but that doesn't mean I'm an idiot!

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Very ingenious solution. But I think I'll go the easy route and test the water
    :-)

Also, on the box the pump came in it says it outputs 1200 cc a minute. 1200 cc = a bit over 5 cups. So that would be a little over 19 gallons per hour. If the air displaces the same amount of water then about 19 gph would be the answer. But... I don't know if the air would displace the same amount of water. Somehow I think not. Seeing as it is a DIY filter and probably not constructed for maximum suckage.

Another one of those science puzzles I'm not educated enough to answer.

I'm just naturally courious :-), but I did kinda want to know how many times it was turning over the water in the tank. It only holds about 7.5 gallons as it is shallow. I'm using it as a fry tank for platies.