· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Oscar and Black Ghost Knife in a 55?

0 Not allowed!
    I have a 55 gallon tank that I am thinking about putting a juvenile Oscar in. Would a Black Ghost Knife be compatable with the Oscar? I know that eventually I will have to upgrade to about 100 Gallon tank for the Oscar.
    So I guess I am am really asking if a Black Ghost Knife produces a large amount of waste (compared to the Oscar)? And would they be Compatable?

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    No its a bad idea. The oscar will beat the ever living crap out of the knife. The oscar will think he is a threat just from the way they swim. I tried it the knife had to go because my oscar kept trying to kill him. And my oscar was not over aggresive he didnt care about any other fish. Just the knife fish aswell as an eel.
    "Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from weak minds." -Albert Einstein

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I second that, i don't think it would work well. I've seen some large clown knifes in tanks with oscars, but for that combo I'd imagine your gonna be looking at bigger than a 100g tank.
    No matter how much I learn or know I'm still gonna be a NOOB, but that doesn't mean I'm an idiot!

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    i have 3 35cm oscars with a BGK thats about 20 cm and in another tank i have a pair of O's that are about 20cm with a 15cm BGK and never had any troubles with them at all

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Interesting. I take it the BGK has plenty of hiding places in your tank dean30bb? My tank set-up accomidates to fish that like to stay hidden, which is one of the reasons I was considering the Oscar, BGK pair. Out of curiousity, which species did you put in your tank first, and which was added later? I do local tank cleanings for my LFS guy and he is ok with me returning fish if they do not work out. So I think I am gonna give it a try. Any precautions or advice on who should be placed in the tank first dean?

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    my three big guys have been in together for about 4 years now and the BGK was put in the about 1 year ago at about 13cm and has been fine ever since but he has heeeeeps of hidy holes around the place but now hardly ever uses them he is always out and about with the big O's and the other smaller breeding pair have been in there tank for 2 years and the BGK has only just gone in there about 6 months ago but he doesnt have any hidy holes only a spot underneath some slate rock that the Oscars hide in and theres never been a problem