Aquarium Forum
 


Menu
  · Tropical Fish Home
· Fish News
· Aquarium Forum
· Buy & Sell
· Calculators
· Equipment reviews
· Free Aquarium Ebook
· Feedback
· Link to us
· Photo gallery
· Plant species
· Tropica Plant DB
Tropical fish species
· By Common name
· By Scientific name
Tropical Marine fish
· By Common name
· By Scientific name

_________________
 
      
        Via paypal

  AC news is a part of
      Nature Blog Network

      Reef Aquarium Blog

Privacy & Ad Policy

Articles
  · African Cichlids
· Algae Control
· Aquarium Decoration
· Aquarium Resources
· Aquatic Plants
· Barb Fish
· Betta Fish
· Breeding Fish
· Catfish
· Central American Cichlids
· Cichlids
· Clownfish
· Corals
· Corydoras Catfish
· Discus Fish
· Dwarf Cichlids
· Fish Diseases
· Frogs and Turtles
· Goby Fish
· Goldfish
· Gourami
· Invertebrates
· Jellyfish
· Killiefish
· Lake Victoria Cichlids
· Livebearers
· Malawi Cichlids
· Marine Aquariums
· Marine Aquarium Fish
· Other Fish
· Pleco
· Predatory Fish
· Photography
· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 22
  1. Default


    0 Not allowed!
    lol. Quite an adventure he had.

    A'sides good clean water there's nothing else for you to do as long as he's eating and doesn't look stressed out. =]
    A severe lack of trichogaster.

    Just because your Gourami is sick does not mean it is always Iridovirus, DGIV, Gourami Disease, et cetera.
    Look at all the other factors in your tank before coming to this conclusion.

  2. Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Alright! I am going to clean his water today, then.

    Thanks!

  3. Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Maggot
    Is there any way to transfer the new crab from a FW tank to a BW tank with minimal stress?
    I would think a real slow drip acclimation, or maybe even a QT tank slowly increasing the salt level would help. Honestly though, you are much better off if you can find a LFS that keeps their crabs in brackish water already. The crab will be healthier from the beginning and won't need the long acclimation. Also, males in a tank without separate territory can get aggressive and try and rip limbs off, but most crabs don't have a problem losing a limb or two if they are healthy. Fiddlers really aren't that hard to keep, so I'm thinking a lot or all of your problems can be attributed to weak stock like a few others have mentioned. I know the fiddlers I see at my local petsmart never look very healthy(more accurately on the verge of death). But a LFS that uses a different distributor always has active healthy looking fiddlers.
    No matter how much I learn or know I'm still gonna be a NOOB, but that doesn't mean I'm an idiot!

  4. Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Not going to lie, when I first saw the thread title, I thought we were going to have to give relationship advice.



    Don't call it a comeback, I've been here for years.

  5. Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Maggot
    Just an Update:

    My crab escaped yesterday! This time he somehow got to the living room. I am so happy my roommate and I found him (and he was alive!). He lost a leg during his adventures unfortunately, but he is eating and taking it easy in his tank. Is there anything else I should do? I feel like he should have anti-human germ medicine or something. I am going to get out my old tank (5g hexagon I believe) and transfer him to that, as it has a better cover with a very small opening he cannot get out of.
    Yes, my fiddlers would escape all the time, I patched up the tank openings and now they don't escape. Make sure you patch up those openings, or you may find a dead crab on the floor.
    crab freak!

  6. Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by lobsternoob
    I would think a real slow drip acclimation, or maybe even a QT tank slowly increasing the salt level would help. Honestly though, you are much better off if you can find a LFS that keeps their crabs in brackish water already. The crab will be healthier from the beginning and won't need the long acclimation. Also, males in a tank without separate territory can get aggressive and try and rip limbs off, but most crabs don't have a problem losing a limb or two if they are healthy. Fiddlers really aren't that hard to keep, so I'm thinking a lot or all of your problems can be attributed to weak stock like a few others have mentioned. I know the fiddlers I see at my local petsmart never look very healthy(more accurately on the verge of death). But a LFS that uses a different distributor always has active healthy looking fiddlers.
    Yea, I don't want to set foot in that petsmart anymore. I feel horrible when I see the crabs! I did find a LFS that sells crabs, though of a different breed and for 9 bucks. That I have to look into some more since I am not sure how well the breeds will mix and such. I will continue my search, though!

    And thank you all for the help. I closed all gaps until he gets a new setup, so no more getting out for him.

  7. Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Hmm, at 9$ a crab, that doesn't sound like fiddlers or red claws, IME. Be sure they aren't full saltwater crabs, but your doing more research, so that can never hurt! If you know the type of crab they are itwould be a good idea to post it, you'll probably find someone here on the AC that can give advice for just about any critter you can find in your LFS.

    Ah, emerald crabs are what I was thinking about, I've had someone try to sell me one as brackish and FW safe. Fully SW crab I believe.
    No matter how much I learn or know I'm still gonna be a NOOB, but that doesn't mean I'm an idiot!

  8. Default


    0 Not allowed!
    I personally don't mix inverts - any kind, even ones people claim are compatible. But that's just personal preference and enhanced paranoia.

    Make sure to really do your research well if you try to go down that path! =]
    A severe lack of trichogaster.

    Just because your Gourami is sick does not mean it is always Iridovirus, DGIV, Gourami Disease, et cetera.
    Look at all the other factors in your tank before coming to this conclusion.

  9. Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Maggot
    Yea, I don't want to set foot in that petsmart anymore. I feel horrible when I see the crabs! I did find a LFS that sells crabs, though of a different breed and for 9 bucks. That I have to look into some more since I am not sure how well the breeds will mix and such. I will continue my search, though!

    And thank you all for the help. I closed all gaps until he gets a new setup, so no more getting out for him.
    It depends on what kind of crab you are getting, red claw crabs usualy get along with fiddlers, but other breeds that are mixed up will probaly kill each other. So make sure you know what breed your buying. But inverts don't do well if their a mixed up with other breeds. So make sure you research a lot.
    Last edited by aquatic lover; 10-26-2009 at 06:36 AM.
    crab freak!

  10. Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by aquatic lover
    It depends on what kind of crab you are getting, red claw crabs usualy get along with fiddlers, but other breeds that are mixed up will probaly kill each other. So make sure you know what breed your buying. But inverts don't do well if their a mixed up with other breeds. So make sure you research a lot.
    http://www.choiceaquariums.com/products/fiddler_crab

    That is the fiddler crab they have, and I am not sure what breed that is. It looked like there was the scientific name for it, but when I searched it I kept getting ghost crab and they were...ghostly. Not red. D: I haven't had time to give it a good hardcore look yet.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •