· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats!!!!! - Gayle   Congrats on your degree! - fins_n_fur   Congratulations on your award - Celtic Fins   Merry Christmas - Northernguy   

Default Cherry shrimp foraging on water surface...

0 Not allowed!
    Hi. Haven't been around in a while, just been busy with work and the rest of my life's aspects.

So i woke up this morning and noticed a lot of my shrimp are foraging on the waters surface.

Didn't know if this is a sign of something bad or what.

I just hooked up my heater to the tank the other week. I've been slowly heating the tank up since it was about 65degrees F without one...

Other then that nothing much has changed.
    The photo makes it look like the water is a little dirty but in fact the tank is doing great and is clean.
    and as far as i can see there isn't even any film across the waters surface they might be interested in...

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

congrats on MOTM! - Jacko   Another round for my friends - mommy1   Another day, another round for my friends. - mommy1   After all that virtual alcohol it's time to sober up with some virtual food - mommy1   Thanks for your kind words in my blog, it really dose help - Cliff   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - The Red Severum   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - The Red Severum   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - The Red Severum   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - The Red Severum   HIV/AIDS - The Red Severum   

0 Not allowed!
    Hows the O2 level? Maybe try throwing a airstone in there.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats!!!!! - Gayle   Congrats on your degree! - fins_n_fur   Congratulations on your award - Celtic Fins   Merry Christmas - Northernguy   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Red Severum
    Hows the O2 level? Maybe try throwing a airstone in there.
    that's the only thing i can think of.

But i had an O2 problem when i first set up the tank and the shrimp just sat at the surface, these are actually foraging like they're just super hungry....even though there's food i put in there.

I've got a dual bio wheel filter on the tank making a lot of surface movement but...

I throw one in just to make sure.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

congrats on MOTM! - Jacko   Another round for my friends - mommy1   Another day, another round for my friends. - mommy1   After all that virtual alcohol it's time to sober up with some virtual food - mommy1   Thanks for your kind words in my blog, it really dose help - Cliff   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - The Red Severum   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - The Red Severum   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - The Red Severum   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - The Red Severum   HIV/AIDS - The Red Severum   

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah, I mean thats all of I could think of right now.. Keep us updated..

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    My shrimp have been doing that since forever, so I thought it was fairly normal. .-.

I have a handful at the top picking at the air, and the rest scattered in the tank. Maybe there's something there that we can't see that they're interested in?
    Signatures are apparently for tank display...
    29 Gallon - Male Golden Gourami, Female Blue Gourami, 4 Kuhli Loaches, 3 Neon Tetras, 6 Male semi-Fancy guppies, ? Ghost shrimp, 2 Mystery snails
    10 Gallon - 2 Platies (male&female), 1 Male Fancy Guppy, 3 Female Common Guppies
    15 Gallon Tub - ??? Cherry shrimp
    I like to draw! Deviant-Art Link

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

just felt like celebrating today. - gabbyguppy   thanks for the plants - mommy1   Congrats on the new cube tank! - Pleco380   GRRR back at you - mommy1   Thanks for all the plants! - Lab_Rat   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Jacko   

0 Not allowed!
    Usually there are about 10 or so cherries that stay up near the surface in my tank, they look like they're just feasting on little somethings, I've got tons of floating plants and they love latching onto those, they don't stay up there for long but whenever one leaves another takes its place

I love shrimp, they're so amusing

ugh, stupid internet, didn't get the picture until now :P
    Yeah, that's exactly what mine do, my blue pearls do it too, I wouldn't worry

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

welcome - Algenco   PIZZAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Sarkazmo   For buying an API test kit - gabbyguppy   No Message - Mith   Happy Birthday - Northernguy   

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah, I love 'em too! Mine are from top to bottom of the tank, everywhere. Lots of floating plants here too with the Dwarf Water Lettuce, Frogbit, Hornwort/Foxtail. They're on the surface snacking on invisible bits, on the filter sponges digging morsels out of the crannies, they're in the Java Moss, they're on the Anubias, they're cleaning every square inch of the sand bottom, they're riding the snails around cleaning their shells even!

Shrimp are simply one of the most entertaining critters to watch. We play spot the gravid females and try to find the smallest shrimp. The latter being the hardest game, heh

Sark

1G Planted Betta tank, 1.5G Planted Betta tank, 10G Planted Swordtail Fry tank,
    10G Neolamprologus Multifasciatus (Shell Dweller) tank. Empty/Work in Progress 135G, 40GB, 2 x 20GL, 2 x 10G
    My aquarium (and more) videos on YouTube

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

RAK - DemonShark   CONGRATULATIONS DADDY - Lady Hobbs   for new bed - Lady Hobbs   for new wife - Lady Hobbs   to remodel steps - Lady Hobbs   
    Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Algenco   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Algenco   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Algenco   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - Algenco   Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - Algenco   

0 Not allowed!
    fairly common unless they are all doing it I wouldn't worry.
    Glad to see you back
    As I get older I find myself thinking about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

AC's Free Aquarium Ebook

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas to You and Yours! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Win or lose, here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Cheers! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Do they feed on bio film? Not so in your case Vette.