· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Newbie

0 Not allowed!
    Hello all,

I am a newbie to Discus. I was wondering what you all do to soften your water as my tap water is very hard. I have heard of many solutions such as adding Peat to filters, driftwood, RO, and many more.
    1. Adding Peat to your filters...I have an Eheim 2215 canister, where do you
    add it to the filter?

2. Driftwood...I would like to get some African driftwood

But I have also heard if you buy farm raised not wild that they can survive in hard water. I will be purchasing farm raised. Is this true or will it be stressful to the Discus?

Thanks,
    Greg

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

A cup of coffee to get you going on that build. - Strider199   Merry xmas! - ScottishFish   Merry Christmas - mommy1   Happy New Year - mommy1   Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1   

0 Not allowed!
    I wouldn't say that farm raised discus can live in hard water, but they can tolerate a much wider range than wild caught. Keeping your params neutral would be fine. IME, cleaner, stable water is most important for the longterm health of sensitive fish.

As for adding peat, I think most use HOBs (hang-on-back) filters for this. I don't have much canister experience.

Personally, I use LOTS of driftwood to soften my water and keep my ph neutral.
    Works as a great buffer/stabilizer too when used in quantity.
    your friendly neighbourhood arowanaman!

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah, that's just it. I don't want to have them "tolerate" the water. I want to house them in the right water.

I do have a HOB filter also, an Aquaclear 110 to go along with the Eheim canister. Does anyone know where to get the Peat?

Thanks for the reply

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

A cup of coffee to get you going on that build. - Strider199   Merry xmas! - ScottishFish   Merry Christmas - mommy1   Happy New Year - mommy1   Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1   

0 Not allowed!
    Another thing I would recommend for discus is a well established tank. Not a new tank that has recently been cycled. They seem to not be as stable at this stage (tank params).

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks and your first gift!! - The Red Severum   Eggs woo hoo!!! - Gayle   My new buddy.  LOL - Lady Hobbs   because you're always there to help! - gourami*girl   A beer for my fellow canuck! - NickFish   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Northernguy   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Crispy
    Another thing I would recommend for discus is a well established tank. Not a new tank that has recently been cycled. They seem to not be as stable at this stage (tank params).
    Great post!
    Once your tank is cycled add some other small fish first that are goes well with discus like cardinal tetras first.You can get your cycle well established before getting your discus.
    Driftwood is great for helping buffer ph.
    Peat is available at some pet stores and landscape nurseries.
    Ray Your Freindly Neighborhood,Fully Mod-ified, Self-appointed Pic Hound!! Need pics!!!
    Have you filled out your profile yet ?????????????
    The Fabulous AC ebook Please read>http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/ebook.html

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    My tank is already well cycled. It has been up and running for 2 years or so.

Another question about the Peat. About how much would Peat would you put in the media bag before putting it in the tank?

The way I figure it, I'm going to put it in some kind of mesh bag and insert it into the filter with the other media. What I see happening is....I put way too much in the media bag and the water turns brown!
    Last edited by Greg6585; 10-13-2009 at 10:38 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the clarification - Mith   A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb   sorry about your angelfish - smaug   Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R   Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff   

0 Not allowed!
    I'm not sure if its tank-ready or not, but you can get peat at any gardening store...
    20gal long planted community
    5 gal planted betta

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Well, it's not tank-ready for Discus yet but it is well cycled.

Unfortunately, I have to sell off my Malawi's first

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I believe you rinse the peat really well (once it's in the mesh bag) and then your water should turn tea-colored (instead of mud). You can remove the tea-color by using carbon (same as removing tannins caused by driftwood).

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Nice advice you gave to that fella who wanted to set up a small tank! - NanoTankGuy   You need another! - Northernguy   Thanks for the rep points - Celtic Fins   Everyone needs a frontosa - hybridguy   Thanks for the rep! - cer   
    Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - domjd05   

0 Not allowed!
    I wish I could say that carbon removes the tannins, but I've never had such luck... You could try boiling the peat, or driftwood if your using that.

I've never used peat so I can't say much for its effectiveness but I've heard it does work well.. driftwood will work well but to really stabilize your PH its going to take a lot of driftwood.. and it will take a long time.. a few months, to really stabilize, and oh yeah the tannins look nasty which means water changes (In my experience, carbon does not remove tannins) and the water changes pro-long the amount of time it takes for the tank to stabilize.