· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for this great step-by-step guide. I'll be using it on a 125gal I have sitting on my back deck. :)
    Considering a Marine Aquarium? A Breakdown of the Components, Live Rock, Cycling a Marine Tank

"The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The WILLINGNESS to learn is a choice." - Unknown

Awards Showcase

Thanks and your first gift!! - The Red Severum Eggs woo hoo!!! - Gayle My new buddy.  LOL - Lady Hobbs because you're always there to help! - gourami*girl A beer for my fellow canuck! - NickFish 
    For being a pic hound!!! - Alfcea thankyou for all your help - sueshewoman A round of gifts for my friends at ac! - Wild Turkey to a very good buddy,happy thanksgiving - angelcakes Congrats on MOTM - Lady Hobbs 
    For being on the ball and having the forum at heart. - Brookfish Thanks for the gift! Now heres one for you ! - CephalopodLover congrats on MOTM - angelcakes same to you - mrs fishpatrick thanks for the help - LORENZO 
    merry christmas - cocoa_pleco sorry for your loss - lovleeko Seasons Greetings! - Brookfish Joyeux Noel!  :) - KrytterKrys Happy Christmas 2008 - fins_n_fur 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Northernguy 

0 Not allowed!
    Glad you all like it.
    Its an easy job to do and the peace of mind you get from resealing an older tank really makes it worth it.lol

Silicone II is poison to your fish.
    Ray Your Freindly Neighborhood,Fully Mod-ified, Self-appointed Pic Hound!! Need pics!!!
    Have you filled out your profile yet ?????????????
    The Fabulous AC ebook Please read>http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/ebook.html

0 Not allowed!
    resealed the tank, lovely job thanks to your post NG, did it with GE 1 this time, sealed it 2 tuesdays ago gave it until the weekend and filled her to the brim all 75 gallons not one drip on the garage floor for the 2 days it was in there now its sitting in the basement cycling 3-6 times before i put me oscar in there
    thanks for an awesome post it saved the fishes life

Awards Showcase

Thanks and your first gift!! - The Red Severum Eggs woo hoo!!! - Gayle My new buddy.  LOL - Lady Hobbs because you're always there to help! - gourami*girl A beer for my fellow canuck! - NickFish 
    For being a pic hound!!! - Alfcea thankyou for all your help - sueshewoman A round of gifts for my friends at ac! - Wild Turkey to a very good buddy,happy thanksgiving - angelcakes Congrats on MOTM - Lady Hobbs 
    For being on the ball and having the forum at heart. - Brookfish Thanks for the gift! Now heres one for you ! - CephalopodLover congrats on MOTM - angelcakes same to you - mrs fishpatrick thanks for the help - LORENZO 
    merry christmas - cocoa_pleco sorry for your loss - lovleeko Seasons Greetings! - Brookfish Joyeux Noel!  :) - KrytterKrys Happy Christmas 2008 - fins_n_fur 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Northernguy 

0 Not allowed!
    I am happy to hear that you found it to be useful.
    Ray Your Freindly Neighborhood,Fully Mod-ified, Self-appointed Pic Hound!! Need pics!!!

5. Default The Right Stuff

0 Not allowed!
    I really enjoyed and appreciated the post on recaulking a tank. I especially am glad for the warning about getting the wrong silicone.

I have a question.

I found GE Silicone 1* Clear at my local big box store. This states it is for windows/doors/attic/basement and is 100% silicone. In the warning labels it mentions off-gassing acetic acid which I understand to be normal. It also states that it contains methylthriacetoxysilane. It also has a statement about not being for use below the waterline or for aquariums, but I know that could be a disclaimer to avoid liability. This is GE Silicone 1 but it has "1*", that is a star behind the "1". Have I found the right stuff? Or do I keep looking?
    Arkie Ben, enjoying fish, wood and Fiats

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    The stuff that is available in Canada looks exactly like this tube.There is no stars on the label.It says nothing about not being for use below the waterline or for aquariums
    http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...8&d=1255047539
    There are other silicones that are aquarium safe.Dap makes one now although I have never used it.
    Aquarium silicone is usually available at most LFS but it is much more expensive.
    Last edited by Northernguy; 08-26-2010 at 04:41 PM.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fiatben
    I found GE Silicone 1* Clear at my local big box store. This states it is for windows/doors/attic/basement and is 100% silicone. In the warning labels it mentions off-gassing acetic acid which I understand to be normal. It also states that it contains methylthriacetoxysilane. It also has a statement about not being for use below the waterline or for aquariums, but I know that could be a disclaimer to avoid liability. This is GE Silicone 1 but it has "1*", that is a star behind the "1". Have I found the right stuff? Or do I keep looking?
    I got the GE product Silicone 1 Clear for kitchen and bath, which says 100% Silicone on the tube. I was planning to use this supposedly inert product on rainwater gutters, and for patching the barrels. I asked how this product could be 100% silicon and safe since it contained methylthriacetoxysilane and stated as such on the tube.

The reply was that Silicone (being a trade name) contains other elements besides silicon. I said methylthriacetoxysilane does not sound safe to me. The reply was "that is Silicone" and is perfectly safe (chemically) as long as it's not swallowed in lumps. The rep said SiliconE would be safe in contact with drinking water, but aquarium chalk would be better for underwater use, only because the SiliconE might break down under water.

I have since obtained the MSDS report, and found this product is NOT SAFE at all. The emergency overview states "WARNING! May be harmful if swallowed, inhaled or absorbed through the skin. Irritating to eyes, respiratory system and skin. May cause central nervous system depression." There are a number of POTENTIAL HEALTH EFFECTS listed.

The composition information on ingredients lists the following as being HAZARDOUS, petroleum distillates 10-30% by weight, methylthriacetoxysilane 1-5% by weight, and NON-HAZARDOUS, Treated Filler 5-10% and Dimethylpolysiloxane 60-100%

None of those sound safe to me and I would not want them anywhere close to water being used for drinking or aquariums.

I am returning the product to the store.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Welcome to the site!lol What a first post!lol
    It has been mentioned in other threads here about GE changing its formula on their GE I silicone that I used in the past.The stuff used in this thread has proven itself as safe for aquarium use.I have resealed many tanks and repaired many decorations with it without losing fish over the yrs.
    I wouldn't use anything with the new label though.Stick to brands that say safe for aquarium use.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Northernguy. thanks.

Wikipedia defines silicone as a term coined for organic compounds of silicon (organosilicons). "More precisely called polymerized siloxanes or polysiloxanes, silicones are mixed inorganic-organic polymers with the chemical formula [R2SiO]n, where R is an organic group such as methyl, ethyl, or phenyl.

There's a Perfecto Aquarium Sealant that seems popular, that cures within 72 hours. I've found the 10.3oz tube listed for $11.77 with shipping, but haven't located a company website or an MSDS report. Does anyone have experience with this brand?

0 Not allowed!
    DAP is another one that carries silicones just for tanks.