· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Member of the month, a toast is in order. - Strider199   Sorry about your blood parrot :-( - ~firefly~   For this; http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=111325 - Strider199   :-) - ~firefly~   Happy mother's day! Enjoy one on me LOL - imma24   
    Childhood Cancer - hobbs   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - hobbs   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Lady Hobbs   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Lady Hobbs   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Lady Hobbs   

Default My last try at this!

0 Not allowed!
    One more try at this planted tank. And I mean my last as I am discusted with this whole deal.

My tank (29gallon) was OK until my big water change the other day as I mentioned in another post. Water was totally messed up by the following morning with a thick layer of scum everywhere. I mean thick! The wood was all slime and the plants were heavy with it.

I have to say it was my easier time to ever catch fish..... Since they were all hanging at the top!!! One scoop and I had all my danios in one swipe. Not much fun trying to find the featherfin since I could only see into the tank one inch!

I drained the tank clear to the fluorite. Scrubbed the sides down. Getting this slime off the plants was another matter. They can't live if they can't breathe so they went into the kitchen sink and I soaked them in mild bleach water to remove the algae. I sure couldn't rub it off! The driftwood I could hardly pick up or it would slide right thru my hands. That got a scrubbing with a brush.

So here I am this morning. Everything cleaned up again. Fluorite was not touched and I put some gruncy filter floss back in as I've lost my cycle obviously. And once again, here I am with ammonia. Where I keep getting ammonia from I have no clue. No fish are in the tank. I've tested the water right from the tap and I have 0. An hour in the tank and here it comes. This confuses me as plants are supposed to eat up the ammonia. I have 0 nitrites and 0 nitrates......only ammonia.

This brings me to where I am now. Do I add the danio's back in and try to do a cycle with them? Do I try to do another fishless cycle? (as mentioned, substrate was not touched so should have loads of bio-load)

Where in $#(*& is this ammonia coming from and why aren't the plants taking care of it? And mainly, if ammonia produces algae, how can I cycle this tank now without adding fish or pure ammonia if it will produce algae again?

I am running no CO2 now and running filters on high to clear the rest of this algae out. Seems OK except for this new tank snydrome I seem to have. I filled the tank with some of the water from my other tank, as well.

If every water change gives me this headache, I am in trouble. LOL
    Last edited by Lady Hobbs; 04-05-2007 at 02:40 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here are some spring flowers to make you smile - kimmers318   Thought You Could Use More Gifts! :) - MeganL3985   I'm a sucker for you!  (I couldn't think of anything) - Kuli_Loach   I can't cook so I made you a sandwich : ) - Kuli_Loach   Nice Fishies You Got! Have Fun Picking More!! :) - MeganL3985   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Sarahmom   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Sarahmom   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - *Sarah*   

0 Not allowed!
    Wow, what a pain. I wish I could help you, but as I've said, I simply placed my plants right into the gravel and they're all doin great. Even the "high light" ones are fine with the simple 10g incandescents that came with my kit. I hope you get things figured out.
    10 Gallon FW with Male Betta, 1 male Endler, and 5 Zebra Danios, 100 Gallon with Sevs, Acaras, Parrots and Loaches.

Just keep swimming, just keep swimming, just keep swimming, swimming, swimming...

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Member of the month, a toast is in order. - Strider199   Sorry about your blood parrot :-( - ~firefly~   For this; http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=111325 - Strider199   :-) - ~firefly~   Happy mother's day! Enjoy one on me LOL - imma24   
    Childhood Cancer - hobbs   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - hobbs   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Lady Hobbs   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Lady Hobbs   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    Me too. I can see doing a cleaning and having new tank snydrome and getting the ammonia from the fish and rather starting over. But to get ammonia with no fish and plants........grrrr.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

thanks for good advice - hobbs   ROADTRIP! - Drumachine09   We'll need a case of these for the roadtrip, got the humvee waitin. lol - cocoa_pleco   NO plants = Sour grapes  LOL - hobbs   Wooden Spoon Protection! - Drumachine09   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs
    One more try at this planted tank. And I mean my last as I am discusted with this whole deal.

My tank (29gallon) was OK until my big water change the other day as I mentioned in another post. Water was totally messed up by the following morning with a thick layer of scum everywhere. I mean thick! The wood was all slime and the plants were heavy with it.

What color was it? If the substrate was not touched, then you may have high phosphates or silicates in your tap water, since water changes alone should not do anything

I have to say it was my easier time to ever catch fish..... Since they were all hanging at the top!!! One scoop and I had all my danios in one swipe. Not much fun trying to find the featherfin since I could only see into the tank one inch!

I drained the tank clear to the fluorite. Scrubbed the sides down. Getting this slime off the plants was another matter. They can't live if they can't breathe so they went into the kitchen sink and I soaked them in mild bleach water to remove the algae. I sure couldn't rub it off! The driftwood I could hardly pick up or it would slide right thru my hands. That got a scrubbing with a brush.

Careful with bleach solutions in the future. Not all plant stand up well to any amount of bleach

So here I am this morning. Everything cleaned up again. Fluorite was not touched and I put some gruncy filter floss back in as I've lost my cycle obviously. And once again, here I am with ammonia. Where I keep getting ammonia from I have no clue. No fish are in the tank. I've tested the water right from the tap and I have 0. An hour in the tank and here it comes. This confuses me as plants are supposed to eat up the ammonia. I have 0 nitrites and 0 nitrates......only ammonia.

This brings me to where I am now. Do I add the danio's back in and try to do a cycle with them? Do I try to do another fishless cycle? (as mentioned, substrate was not touched so should have loads of bio-load)

Where in $#(*& is this ammonia coming from and why aren't the plants taking care of it? And mainly, if ammonia produces algae, how can I cycle this tank now without adding fish or pure ammonia if it will produce algae again?

The plants only take in large amount of ammonia if they are actively growing. I don't think you have enough plant biomass/light/CO2 to deal with ammonia with plants alone yet. I would wait a few days for the ammonia to get eaten up (keep the photoperiod to 8 hours during this time), then put the danios back. You definitely don't want to add more ammonia at this point, since ammonia + light = green water and other types of algae

I am running no CO2 now and running filters on high to clear the rest of this algae out. Seems OK except for this new tank snydrome I seem to have. I filled the tank with some of the water from my other tank, as well.

You need to keep the CO2 running. As long as CO2 is the only thing going into the tank, it will not cloud your water or anything. CO2 will allow the plants to suck up more nutrients. Without it, algae wins.

If every water change gives me this headache, I am in trouble. LOL

Most planted tanks go through this phase, you just need to stick with it. If you remember, I had an algae outbreak from hell in my tank only a few weeks ago, and with 2 part CO2, 1 part dry fertilzer, 2 part water changes, and 5 part patience (and some otos), I'm finally getting it under control. I was a bit lucky because my tank was already matured (in terms of fish cycling) so I didn't have that additional thing to deal with, but it will all settle down eventually, I promise. See if you can get the tap water tested at the LFS though. There must be high concentrations of something that is screwing with plants/causing algae.
    Hope that helps
    Foshizzle.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    It's all quite a mystery alright. I have moved tanks before, set them right back up with all new water and had no problems. Sometimes they may be a tiny bit hazy but by the next day would be clear again. My nitrates are 0 and possibly that could be raised by not sure how to go about that and the link I posted in that other thread is too scrary for me. I don't want to get into chemicals here.

I put another tank light on this tank so have two lights going which still isn't much but twice what it was and the room is very bright, as well. CO2's going again, not great, but going so will sit and wait it out. I was right on the edge of digging out all this fluorite last night and planting just in gravel! But, it's not the fluorite.....it's something and like you say, all that you mentioned.

Thanks Chrona.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

thanks for good advice - hobbs   ROADTRIP! - Drumachine09   We'll need a case of these for the roadtrip, got the humvee waitin. lol - cocoa_pleco   NO plants = Sour grapes  LOL - hobbs   Wooden Spoon Protection! - Drumachine09   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs
    It's all quite a mystery alright. I have moved tanks before, set them right back up with all new water and had no problems. Sometimes they may be a tiny bit hazy but by the next day would be clear again. My nitrates are 0 and possibly that could be raised by not sure how to go about that and the link I posted in that other thread is too scrary for me. I don't want to get into chemicals here.

I put another tank light on this tank so have two lights going which still isn't much but twice what it was and the room is very bright, as well. CO2's going again, not great, but going so will sit and wait it out. I was right on the edge of digging out all this fluorite last night and planting just in gravel! But, it's not the fluorite.....it's something and like you say, all that you mentioned.

Thanks Chrona.
    Part of it may be Flourite, as I only got algae after I put it in, but I don't think it's the only reason. My theory is that it leeches silicates in the beginning, especially if you have a lot of that dust. This causes brown algae, which dies off when silicates eventually runs out.

www.aquariumfertilizer.com

Greg Watson's website. Dosing fertilizers is rather easy. If you have HOB filters, you don't need to make a mix. Just dump X amount (measured in fractions of a teaspoon) of X chemical on X day into the compartment in front of the filter cartridge so it all dissolved before passing through. The only thing is knowing how much to dose. In my case, I dose 1/16 teaspoon of KNO3 (nitrates) every other day, which raises nitrates in a 10g tank by about 5.5 ppm. In your case, 1/16 tsp of KNO3 would raise nitrates by 1 ppm. Since you need about 10 ppm, you would add 10/16 tsp or 5/8 tsp every other day. Of course, you probably don't have as much CO2 or light, so you most likely will only need about 1/3 to 1/2 teaspoon. Lemme know if you need any additional info about what to get and whatnot. KNO3 (nitrate), KH2PO4 (phosphate) and K2SO4 (potassium) are usually added in a 2-1-1 ratio
    Last edited by Chrona; 04-05-2007 at 05:33 PM.
    Foshizzle.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Saturday

As of today, the planted tank is crystal clear and all readings are 0. I have added some fish back to the tank. I planted this tank for my angelfish but with so much messing up going on, I will leave him in the 20 gallon and put others in this one until I figure out what in heck I'm doing.

I would hate to think that every water change throws this thing into an algae mess. I will leave it alone for 2 weeks this time and see how it goes.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

a plant for your fish tank - hobbs   Have a cookie! - Drumachine09   ...word... - Drumachine09   Thanks for the help - Incredulous_Ed   For keeping me straight!! - Lady Hobbs   
    Autism - hungryhound   

0 Not allowed!
    Sounds like quite an ordeal hobbs. We feel for you and hope that everything is back to how it should be.
    46g planted tank:
    Pearl Gouramis, New Guinea Red Rainbowfish, Siamese algae eaters, Yoyo Loaches, Zebrafish, oto cats, L114 (aka Leopard cactus pleco)

30g planted tank:
    Celestial Pearl Danios, Red Cherry Shrimp

20g long planted tank:
    N strain Endlers Live bearers

5 gallon:
    Half moon betta (blue body, Yellow fins)

Pictures and My Blog

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    If this happens with another water change, I will give it up!