2 Gold Gourami
    2 Flame Gourami
    6 Long Finned Zebra Danio
    5 Dojo Loaches
    2 Ghost Glass Catfish
    10 Cory Catfish
    2 Betta (separated)
    2 Clown Plecos

I have been told that my Shubunkin and my Dojos needed to be housed separately in a cold water tank. I live middle Georgia, humid weather, and without putting any type of heater on my tank it stays about 78 degrees during the day and drops slightly at night. When colder weather rolls around I plan on putting a heater into my tank to keep the temp about where it is now.

I guess my question is whether the Dojos and the Shubunkin would be fine in the tank they are in...until it gets cold? I was thinking, at that point, about putting my 5 Dojos and my Shubunkin in a 20 gallon long and setting the tank up close to a window...to keep it cool, but right now I feel that, in this season, any tank I set up will stay about the same temp...just under 80.

Any input...advice?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Member of the month, a toast is in order. - Strider199   Sorry about your blood parrot :-( - ~firefly~   For this; http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=111325 - Strider199   :-) - ~firefly~   Happy mother's day! Enjoy one on me LOL - imma24   
    Childhood Cancer - hobbs   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - hobbs   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Lady Hobbs   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Lady Hobbs   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    33 fish in a 55 gallon tank is wayyyy overstocked anyway you cut it.

Angels do not belong with goldfish at all and I'm not too sure on the pleco's with them as pleco's can suck on their slime coats. I think you're in for a die off of fish due to the population in that tank. 17 bottom feeders are never needed in a tank.

Betta's should be in there own tanks 3-5 gallons. They live alone in the wild in rice paddies and don't need a pile of friends.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

A cup of coffee to get you going on that build. - Strider199   Merry xmas! - ScottishFish   Merry Christmas - mommy1   Happy New Year - mommy1   Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1   

0 Not allowed!
    ^^^^ Agreed. Your stocking should be cut in half for that size tank. How long has the tank been setup and running like this?
    your friendly neighbourhood arowanaman!

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Nice little Oscar! - Blu-ray   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote:
    I have been told that my Shubunkin and my Dojos needed to be housed separately in a cold water tank. I live middle Georgia, humid weather, and without putting any type of heater on my tank it stays about 78 degrees during the day and drops slightly at night. When colder weather rolls around I plan on putting a heater into my tank to keep the temp about where it is now.

I guess my question is whether the Dojos and the Shubunkin would be fine in the tank they are in...until it gets cold? I was thinking, at that point, about putting my 5 Dojos and my Shubunkin in a 20 gallon long and setting the tank up close to a window...to keep it cool, but right now I feel that, in this season, any tank I set up will stay about the same temp...just under 80.

While I appreciate your telling me the problems that my tank has...I already know both of these facts. I am in the process of getting another tank for my cold-water fish and I am planning on separating a 10 gallon for my two bettas.

Can anyone answer my question?

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    The main question i want answered is whether or not there is a way...or if it is necessary...to cool down a tank in the summer in a hot climate.

My goldfish and Angel get along great and my plecos have never been a nuisance. My tank has been running like this for a few months now and I have had no problems whatsoever. I do not believe that my population needs to be cut in half either. I have a lot of cory cats, but previous advice I have received, and observation of my tank, lead me to believe that I have a good number of fish who get along well with each other.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

A cup of coffee to get you going on that build. - Strider199   Merry xmas! - ScottishFish   Merry Christmas - mommy1   Happy New Year - mommy1   Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1   

0 Not allowed!
    You can cool down a tank by putting icecubes or a frozen water bottle into the tank. You could buy a chiller, but they are expensive.
    your friendly neighbourhood arowanaman!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the quote - **AquaQueen**   Message for you sir! - Aeonflame   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Curious
    Quote:

While I appreciate your telling me the problems that my tank has...I already know both of these facts. I am in the process of getting another tank for my cold-water fish and I am planning on separating a 10 gallon for my two bettas.

Can anyone answer my question?
    To describe the goldys and dojos as cold water fish is misleading.Goldys do fine in warm temps,my pond temps routinely go into the 80s.The problem is the amount of ammonia and other waste given off by goldfish.It is more then tropicals mostly due to the bigger bulk of the fish itself.I have no experiance with dojos so I can help you there.There was a member here who was fairly knowledgable who keeps discus with goldfish.I do believe it is fishguy.My experinces with keeping plecs with angels tells me that the slime coat sucking is not too common.I have 2 plecs with my angel and have kept them this way for at least 4 years.You are very heavily stocked however and unless you are also very heavily filtered you will have problems.How big a tank will the so called cw fish be going too?Unless it is 75 gal plus it isnt big enough for shebunkins and dojos.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

R.I.P Caprica - troy   

0 Not allowed!
    You don't need to cool your water. When your fish start dying because you are slowly poisoning them by having so many fish in the tank, don't think it was water temperature that was the problem.

If you want to shrug that off and think we're nuts.. fine. But feel free to come back when you have an outbreak of fin rot or ich and we will still be able to help you... :(

I am in no way wishing anything bad on your fish, its just a simple chemistry fact. The ammonia will build up in that area of water faster than it can be filtered out..
    Last edited by megastealer; 08-24-2009 at 04:12 AM.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I know I came off sounding rude in my post. I appologize. I completely understand that people are trying to help me by telling me about my overpopulation, however I already have two threads in different topics where I have been told the same information about my Shubunkin, Dojos, ans Bettas. Thank you Smaug for answering my question. The purpose of this thread was to get a question answered so that I would know the best way to go about separating some of my fish...note the topic being named "Separation".

With the dojos and Shubunkin separated out of my 55 gallon will the rest of my community be OK?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the quote - **AquaQueen**   Message for you sir! - Aeonflame   

0 Not allowed!
    Yes,I think you will be fine.Assuming all the remaining fish are temperamentally compatible and there are no long running squabbles among them to induce stress.I have kept tanks stocked to the limits for a while now[they don't start that way ]It just takes extra diligence on your part and the ability to react quickly.