· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default java fern getting brown

0 Not allowed!
    Hi everyone

I'm cycling my 30 gallon tank (fishless) right now, about a week into it. I brought home some java fern just over a week ago and put them in. A couple of days ago they started to have a sort of rusty brown cast on some of the leaf surfaces. I wondered if it was algae -- it seems like it's on the well-lit surfaces. I tried rubbing it off, but it didn't work.

Otherwise the plants seem to be doing okay. The roots growing from the baby plants at the ends of the leaves have definitely gotten longer and more robust.

I got Java ferns because they seemed like they could handle relatively low light (I only have one bulb - a 24" 20 watt glo-life), and since they grow on rocks I don't need to worry about the fact that I forgot to put laterite in the gravel. I also got the impression that they could do without carbon enrichment -- now I'm wondering if that might be an issue.

I did fertilize the water with trace minerals twice now.

Any thoughts?

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default picture

0 Not allowed!
    here's a picture of one of the leaves -- if I managed to upload it properly.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

your first gift - Dave66   Have a puffer fish - Celtic Fins   You need one of these too - Celtic Fins   

0 Not allowed!
    How is the Java Fern planted? The rhizome doesn't need to be under the substrate if you have it planted in the gravel. Also, since they're fairly new plants to your tank, they could just be adjusting to the move. If the leaves, keep turning brown, go ahead and cut them off to allow for new growth.
    36 gallon bowfront - "Hector" the Dwarf Gourami, 3 Peppered Corydoras, "Big Eric" the Rubberlip Pleco, "Killwillie" the German Blue Ram, and 9 Rummynose Tetras, 1 true Siamese Algae Eater

20 gallon long; Planted & Aquascaped (Dwarf Hairgrass, Scarlet Temple, Lace Java Fern, Red Ludwigia) - Female German Blue Ram, 4 Oto's, 11 Neon Tetras

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome to AC - Lady Hobbs   right back at ya - sailor   Congrats! - Northernguy   merry christmas - cocoa_pleco   Happy Holidays! - Northernguy   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - robnepper   

0 Not allowed!
    If the actual plant isn't turning brown, but just getting a film, it's diatoms. Cut back on any ferts and other nutrients and let them settle in. No, they don't require co2. Mine do great on the same watts per gallon as you have I am a bit more heavily planted than you in a year old 20 gal.. It gets a dose of fertilizer every water change and every thing seems to be going well. The only problem is that my now BN is finding them very tasty...grrr.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks folks.

They aren't planted in the substrate -- I've attached the rhizomes to rocks with rubber bands. I don't see much evidence of root growth on the larger plants, just on the babies at the ends of the leaves.

Also I just noticed today that though the leaves of the babies seem to be growing, the tips of them are darker and look like they are translucent. I'm hoping that doesn't mean they are about to die back. They looked like they were doing so well!

I'll avoid fertilizer until I do my first water change.
    Glad to hear I don't need a carbon set up.

thanks again!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Your first gift on AC, Welcome to the forum! - Brookfish   welcome - Algenco   Welcome to AC - Celtic Fins   Congrats on your awards! - Brookfish   Congratulations on your award. - Celtic Fins   
    Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - rich311k   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - rich311k   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - rich311k   

0 Not allowed!
    Sounds like diatoms and/or some algae stemming from a new setup. I am sure they will do just fine once the tank matures a bit. I would not add ferts if all you have are some java fern plants under low light.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Member of the month, a toast is in order. - Strider199   Sorry about your blood parrot :-( - ~firefly~   For this; http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=111325 - Strider199   :-) - ~firefly~   Happy mother's day! Enjoy one on me LOL - imma24   
    Childhood Cancer - hobbs   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - hobbs   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Lady Hobbs   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Lady Hobbs   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by robnepper
    If the actual plant isn't turning brown, but just getting a film, it's diatoms. Cut back on any ferts and other nutrients and let them settle in. No, they don't require co2. Mine do great on the same watts per gallon as you have I am a bit more heavily planted than you in a year old 20 gal.. It gets a dose of fertilizer every water change and every thing seems to be going well. The only problem is that my now BN is finding them very tasty...grrr.
    Right on! I was just about to write diatoms when I saw this post.

It wipes right off but pretty annoying for awhile.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

your first gift - Dave66   Have a puffer fish - Celtic Fins   You need one of these too - Celtic Fins   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by twiggin
    Also I just noticed today that though the leaves of the babies seem to be growing, the tips of them are darker and look like they are translucent. I'm hoping that doesn't mean they are about to die back. They looked like they were doing so well!
    Just sounds like new growth to me. That's how my new Java Fern leaves look on the tips until the leaf fully grows out.
    36 gallon bowfront - "Hector" the Dwarf Gourami, 3 Peppered Corydoras, "Big Eric" the Rubberlip Pleco, "Killwillie" the German Blue Ram, and 9 Rummynose Tetras, 1 true Siamese Algae Eater

20 gallon long; Planted & Aquascaped (Dwarf Hairgrass, Scarlet Temple, Lace Java Fern, Red Ludwigia) - Female German Blue Ram, 4 Oto's, 11 Neon Tetras

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks all
    It's been nicely reassuring. I'll just sit back and watch. And lavish all my attention on my ferns while I wait for my fish!!!

t

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need a gift - Lady Hobbs   Have a beer on me - sailor   Fresh outta the Chesapeke...maybe..lol - jbeining75   happy 21st birthday yay - angelcakes   Happy birthday! - Tigerbarb   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - turkey151   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - turkey151   Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - Wild Turkey   Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Wild Turkey   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Wild Turkey   

0 Not allowed!
    I agree it could be diatoms, if it doesnt wipe off its probably just dying off and regrowing, my java ferns do this sometimes when i move them you can pluck the brown leaves once they are all the way brown and lay them flat on the gravel and the will sometimes grow several new sprouts