· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Default Oscar set up questions

0 Not allowed!
    So I have been reading through the oscar posts. I figure I would start up a post for questions I come up with but can't find answers to.

So I'm getting a 75G tank for a tiger oscar in the future... I hope by the end of the year. I'm taking my time as it is costly. The inhabitants I will be one oscar and maybe a convict. Now listening to MCHRKillers advice I need to get the oscar first and let it grow a bit before getting the convict as the oscar needs to be larger.

When Cycling what would be best. This will be a 1" oscar in a 75G. Should I fish-less cycle? If I go that route will one little fish be able to keep the cycle going? Or should I use media from another filter? Once again will the cycle keep going?

I'm getting a canister (rena filstar) and a HOB. Should I get the canister filter for 175 G and the AC 110... Or the 75G canister and AC 110? I am looking at budget wise but I want there to be sufficient filtration for the oscar. I'm assume that the more is better Its just way more expensive
    75 gallon project
    45 gallon community

Awards Showcase

Thanks and your first gift!! - The Red Severum Eggs woo hoo!!! - Gayle My new buddy.  LOL - Lady Hobbs because you're always there to help! - gourami*girl A beer for my fellow canuck! - NickFish 
    For being a pic hound!!! - Alfcea thankyou for all your help - sueshewoman A round of gifts for my friends at ac! - Wild Turkey to a very good buddy,happy thanksgiving - angelcakes Congrats on MOTM - Lady Hobbs 
    For being on the ball and having the forum at heart. - Brookfish Thanks for the gift! Now heres one for you ! - CephalopodLover congrats on MOTM - angelcakes same to you - mrs fishpatrick thanks for the help - LORENZO 
    merry christmas - cocoa_pleco sorry for your loss - lovleeko Seasons Greetings! - Brookfish Joyeux Noel!  :) - KrytterKrys Happy Christmas 2008 - fins_n_fur 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Northernguy 

0 Not allowed!
    You can easily jump start the cycle with some used media in the new filter.Start packing your filters for extra media.lol
    A 75 gallon tank with a small oscar will cycle very fast!lol
    If you don't want to see the a lot of waste then go with a reddish colored substrate.Feed a quality pellet and other good treats and it won't be so bad.Hikari are excellent!
    I would go with a rena xp3 and the ac110.You will never to upgrade for the tank.
    Last edited by Northernguy; 09-28-2009 at 12:42 AM.
    Ray Your Freindly Neighborhood,Fully Mod-ified, Self-appointed Pic Hound!! Need pics!!!
    Have you filled out your profile yet ?????????????
    The Fabulous AC ebook Please read>http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/ebook.html

0 Not allowed!
    Oh what about a powerhead with that filter set up? They don't like a lot of water movement do they?
    I'm still looking for a place to find good substrate. I'm wanting to go with a gravel over sand but can't really find any good choices.
    75 gallon project
    45 gallon community

Awards Showcase

Thanks and your first gift!! - The Red Severum Eggs woo hoo!!! - Gayle My new buddy.  LOL - Lady Hobbs because you're always there to help! - gourami*girl A beer for my fellow canuck! - NickFish 
    For being a pic hound!!! - Alfcea thankyou for all your help - sueshewoman A round of gifts for my friends at ac! - Wild Turkey to a very good buddy,happy thanksgiving - angelcakes Congrats on MOTM - Lady Hobbs 
    For being on the ball and having the forum at heart. - Brookfish Thanks for the gift! Now heres one for you ! - CephalopodLover congrats on MOTM - angelcakes same to you - mrs fishpatrick thanks for the help - LORENZO 
    merry christmas - cocoa_pleco sorry for your loss - lovleeko Seasons Greetings! - Brookfish Joyeux Noel!  :) - KrytterKrys Happy Christmas 2008 - fins_n_fur 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Northernguy 

0 Not allowed!
    I would go to petsmart or something.They will probably have a selection of colors.I like Este's gravel.It holds color well but still needs a rinse.
    The xp3 comes with both a powerhead and a spray bar.I use the spray bar and the Os are always in the current.It doesn't bother them at all. I think they actually enjoy a good current except at night when the lights are out.Mine go to where there is little current,under the spray bar.
    Ray Your Freindly Neighborhood,Fully Mod-ified, Self-appointed Pic Hound!! Need pics!!!
    Have you filled out your profile yet ?????????????
    The Fabulous AC ebook Please read>http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/ebook.html

0 Not allowed!
    Ok cool... Thanks! Those are the only questions I have at the moment
    75 gallon project
    45 gallon community

0 Not allowed!
    How is this for substrate?

Is the size ok, and how do you think the color would look with the oscar and convict?

This one is pretty too :)
    Last edited by Owlbehere; 09-28-2009 at 01:46 AM.
    75 gallon project
    45 gallon community

0 Not allowed!
    Estes makes a great variety of natural substrate that wont show waste. I use a a couple of different sizes and shades of their gravel from a pretty fine light tan to a pretty dark larger grade gravel. Even in my 150G with a bunch of large messy fish the tank looks spotless.

Definatly go for the Rena XP3, you wont regret that extra media basket when the fish is an adult. If you use the product code hack on Drs F&S the XP3 drops down to $110 which is pretty much unbeatable in price. Definatly pick up 2-3liters of Eheim Ehfisubstrat for the canister...its probably one of the best bio-medias that I have ever used. Putting in 4 coarse sponges on the bottom basket...2 liters of Ehfisubstrat in the middle and then 4 fine sponges in the top basket. Would make for a great bio-filter and also a low-maintenance one to. Use you HOB for some mechanical filtration and supplemental biofiltration and any chemical if you want it. Dont use carbon as it strips out vital nutrients in the water which many believe to be a cause of HITH. Purigen is an excellent alternative tho, it also has the added benefit of upping Redox which essentially just means that it makes the water of a much higher quality and can improve fish health.
    20G High-Tech Planted|50G High-Tech Planted|50G Goldfish Tank|56G Column Low-Tech Planted

4x75Gs coming soon

0 Not allowed!
    I say if you like both...mix 'em. Nothing wrong with mixing various shades of natural gravel, if anything it makes it look more natural IMO.
    20G High-Tech Planted|50G High-Tech Planted|50G Goldfish Tank|56G Column Low-Tech Planted

4x75Gs coming soon

0 Not allowed!
    Great I'm having fun shopping around now :)
    75 gallon project
    45 gallon community