· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congratulations on your cycle! - fins_n_fur   Congrats! - Northernguy   Happy Easter! - Northernguy   For your  new tank! - Northernguy   Merry Christmas - Northernguy   

Default For AC110 Owners, DIY extension tubes.

0 Not allowed!
    I don't know if this had been posted in the past, so FYI, if you want to make an extension tube/tubes for your AC110, 3/4 PVC pipe is the perfect size to use. I wanted to extend mine because the 2 sections they give you don't get far enough down in my tank(125). Just add a coupling to the end of one of the supplied suction tubes or the U-piece that fits into the filter and cut the PVC to whatever length you need. Then drill holes in(I used 1/4") it and add a cap on the end. I also bought a tee and extra caps in case I want to split it off close to the bottom of the tank. I sprayed mine black with Rustoleum Plastic Paint to blend in with my black background. Costwise, 10' of 3/4 PVC pipe, a tee, and 2 caps cost around $3 at HD. And I still have 8' of the pipe left .
    Attached Images Attached Images
    11 tanks, 5.5g up to 125g(2). Mbuna, Haps, Peacocks, Tangs, wild caught to tank raised!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

A cup of coffee to get you going on that build. - Strider199   Merry xmas! - ScottishFish   Merry Christmas - mommy1   Happy New Year - mommy1   Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1   

0 Not allowed!
    Nice! I've always ran AC110s and have never seen a DIY end. Good post!
    your friendly neighbourhood arowanaman!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Member of the month, a toast is in order. - Strider199   Sorry about your blood parrot :-( - ~firefly~   For this; http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=111325 - Strider199   :-) - ~firefly~   Happy mother's day! Enjoy one on me LOL - imma24   
    Childhood Cancer - hobbs   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - hobbs   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Lady Hobbs   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Lady Hobbs   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    Excellent. Great way not to look at the gunk inside the tube, too. I wish they come black. Good tip. Thanks for sharing.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For your AC tank! - Northernguy   For your Ac tank! - Northernguy   

0 Not allowed!
    cool way not to have fish get stuck to the strainer,,, if you did more holes of a smaller diameter then you could probably eliminate fry from getting in as well... I like the design...
    im gonna think about the benefits of having it horizontal on the bottom of the tank run a 90 off of it and have it suck horizontally from the lower depths of the tank... hmmmm gotta make one for my aqueon now...
    Cool Project got the brain thinking on a sunday morning.
    NNNO
    Tank 1 is a 90 Gal Mbuna Tank with 5 blue zebs, 4 red zebs, 9 yellow labs, 1 demasoni, 3 yellowtop mbamba and 3 auratus. Filtration is twin Aqueon 55 2 pad HOBS and a MAGNUM 350 for water polish. A maxijet 900, soon to add fluval 404 and return the magnum to vacuum pump. PLUS a bunch of auratus fry and zebra fry

Tank 2 46 gal Mbuna Bowfront with 14 juvi Taiwan Reef Saulosi with AC 119 and Aqueon 30.(to be replaced by a Fluval 104 soon.)maxijet 1200 for current

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks and your first gift!! - The Red Severum   Eggs woo hoo!!! - Gayle   My new buddy.  LOL - Lady Hobbs   because you're always there to help! - gourami*girl   A beer for my fellow canuck! - NickFish   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Northernguy   

0 Not allowed!
    Thats a nice plan!
    Thanks for sharing!
    Ray Your Freindly Neighborhood,Fully Mod-ified, Self-appointed Pic Hound!! Need pics!!!
    Have you filled out your profile yet ?????????????
    The Fabulous AC ebook Please read>http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/ebook.html

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congratulations on your cycle! - fins_n_fur   Congrats! - Northernguy   Happy Easter! - Northernguy   For your  new tank! - Northernguy   Merry Christmas - Northernguy   

0 Not allowed!
    Hobbs, I sprayed the intake tubes that came with the filter also, FWIW. Hides them real nice.

NNNO, that's why I bought the tee and addt'l caps. I have pieces made, but you'd have to take the intake assembly completely off to get it close enough to the bottom. You need about an extra inch below the tube to slip it on. If you don't take it out, the assembly winds up 1 1/2" off the bottom and that's not good for me. I may still try it yet, but for now I'm going to see how the single down tube works.
    11 tanks, 5.5g up to 125g(2). Mbuna, Haps, Peacocks, Tangs, wild caught to tank raised!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

welcome to AC - Lady Hobbs   Merry Christmas :) - squirt_12   Giving out great advice. - RainMan   Thanks for the kind words! - Brookfish   

0 Not allowed!
    Krylon Fusion is the only paint that I've heard is safe inside tanks. I hope you don't run into trouble with the paint you used.
    To use Kryon Fusion on plastic, you should ruff up the plastic with fine grit sand paper, make the first coat of paint very light, let it dry really well then add another fine layer of paint...repeat as necessary drying really well between coats...then curing for a couple days before adding to tank. The curing part is just my idea but I'm pretty sure it would help it last longer.
    Dixie

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I'm pretty sure I remember reading somewhere that the things contained in Krylon is the same as Rustoleums. It makes sense because you need the right "primers" in the mix to get the paint to adhere. I sprayed the original AC intake also before this and it has been in there for 2 months, so I think I may be out of the woods. In actuality, I'd be more worried about the contents of PVC glue and primer affecting things when DIYers(me included) plumb their own systems.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas to You and Yours! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Win or lose, here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Cheers! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Great filter mod. Thanks for sharing.