· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Sorry you had a bad start here - Lady Hobbs   Don't get discouraged!  Best of luck with your fish! - Anomaly   

Default I think my goldfish are mating - uh oh!

0 Not allowed!
    Hi guys,

Just so you all know, my last situation has been resolved and they're back to normal.
    However- I have now noticed two fish pecking the largest fish, and by doing what I can see on the internet, I am 80% sure that "she" is female. They are pecking behind the anal fin.

Now, if she so does become pregnant, what should I do?! My mum said something about her friend when she was younger having an "egg basket" which floated at the top stopping the fish from eating the eggs...

Any ideas what I can do? I can't get another tank, I'm not even sure if anything will come of it, but incase, it would be nice to know.

Cheers :)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

you needed a gift - Agassizii   Thanks for the tip! - Northernguy   I'm so sorry :( - Oscar_freak12321   Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill   Happy New Years, here's your Pl*co! xD - Oscar_freak12321   
    Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - VoidParadigm   

0 Not allowed!
    If you don't want or can't keep baby fish then don't worry about it. Just let them eat the eggs. Chances are if it's their first spawn he won't fertilize them properly anyways.

That "box" is probably a breeder net she's talking about, able to picked up at most fish shops. If you want the eggs put them in there, but watch out for fungus - which will kill the eggs. Really, without a second tank it's useless to try to hatch the eggs, though.
    A severe lack of trichogaster.

Just because your Gourami is sick does not mean it is always Iridovirus, DGIV, Gourami Disease, et cetera.
    Look at all the other factors in your tank before coming to this conclusion.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Sorry you had a bad start here - Lady Hobbs   Don't get discouraged!  Best of luck with your fish! - Anomaly   

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks Void - great help :)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

you needed a gift - Agassizii   Thanks for the tip! - Northernguy   I'm so sorry :( - Oscar_freak12321   Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill   Happy New Years, here's your Pl*co! xD - Oscar_freak12321   
    Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - VoidParadigm   

0 Not allowed!
    Also; The filter may become clogged if they eat the eggs. If they spawn (then eat) clean the filter and change some of the water a day or two afterwards.
    A severe lack of trichogaster.

Just because your Gourami is sick does not mean it is always Iridovirus, DGIV, Gourami Disease, et cetera.
    Look at all the other factors in your tank before coming to this conclusion.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Oki doki, cheers! :)

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    It has only just become clear that the day this was posted, my goldfish laid eggs.

She has a cloudy thing on her eye - but I've googled and it seems to be normal after breeding, she likes it rough, clearly ;)

Anyway, the eggs, they're all in a corner, in a plant. Most are white. Some sites say they are supposed to be, others say they are dead, others say wait two weeks, some say wait a few days for them to start swimming.... any idea?!?

They are just tiny little white balls, some look a little yellow, like polystyrene... help?! Please? My friend was telling me about a tank divider you can get to seperate the fish from the eggs... any idea?
    Last edited by Lady Hobbs; 09-29-2009 at 04:45 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

R.I.P Caprica - troy   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Myke
    It has only just become clear that the day this was posted, my goldfish laid eggs.

She has a cloudy thing on her eye - but I've googled and it seems to be normal after breeding, she likes it rough, clearly ;)

Anyway, the eggs, they're all in a corner, in a plant. Most are white. Some sites say they are supposed to be, others say they are dead, others say wait two weeks, some say wait a few days for them to start swimming.... any idea?!?

They are just tiny little white balls, some look a little yellow, like polystyrene... help?! Please? My friend was telling me about a tank divider you can get to seperate the fish from the eggs... any idea?
    A tank divider would work fine. They sell them at any pet store. I know I've seen them for all tank sizes at petsmart.

Keep in mind though that fry are very sensitive and need pristine conditions to survive. No ammonia, no nitrites, and very low nitrates. So if you don't have a cycled tank to raise them by themselves in, they will likely die anyway, and there isn't much point in stopping your goldfish from eating the eggs if you can't raise them or give the eggs to someone who can.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    cheers mega, what if i was to put them in a tank on their own with clear water??

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For looking after your horse! - Rue   this is the best i could do :) - karbomb   Good work! - Northernguy   Just for being you! - Mith   One for your Troup! - Brookfish   
    Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Owlbehere   Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - Owlbehere   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Owlbehere   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by VoidParadigm
    Also; The filter may become clogged if they eat the eggs. If they spawn (then eat) clean the filter and change some of the water a day or two afterwards.
    How does this clog the filter?
    75 gallon project
    45 gallon community

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Member of the month, a toast is in order. - Strider199   Sorry about your blood parrot :-( - ~firefly~   For this; http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=111325 - Strider199   :-) - ~firefly~   Happy mother's day! Enjoy one on me LOL - imma24   
    Childhood Cancer - hobbs   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - hobbs   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Lady Hobbs   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Lady Hobbs   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    Myke, I've never had goldfish but I don't understand why any fish would get cloudy eyes because they spawned. Are you sure she doesn't have the beginning of pop eye? Keep a close eye on her and if the eye doesn't improve, get some fungal medications for her.

PS...It looks like I edited your post but I didn't. I meant to hit quote and hit edit. oops