· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Let's getcha started! - Mith   

Default Tiger barb disaster!

0 Not allowed!
    hey all... i recently got 2 pairs of tiger barbs for my gold gourami tank... everything was pretty peaceful for about a week...until one of my barbs seems to have gone beserk...he chases all the other fish around and even has a go at my pleco, who is obviously unmoved and stands his ground :)
    The confusing part is that i'm not sure if the beserk barb is an aggressive male...do all males have to have red noses? all my barbs have the red stripe on their dorsal fins and their stripes are now metallic green! however, only one of the barbs sports the deep red nose...!!!! i'm confused...
    does this mean that the local aquarium had accidently sold me 4 male barbs? or is this one female barb going beserk? oh and i also witness a fight i think...two barbs( beserk and another) facing each other and they turned blackish...had a go at each other and not they are back to chasing each other...
    what the heck is going on? will this end up fatal? :)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Your first gift on AC, Welcome to the forum! - Brookfish   welcome - Algenco   Welcome to AC - Celtic Fins   Congrats on your awards! - Brookfish   Congratulations on your award. - Celtic Fins   
    Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - rich311k   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - rich311k   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - rich311k   

0 Not allowed!
    Sounds like you need four more barbs, the red nose would indicate a male.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by rich311k
    Sounds like you need four more barbs, the red nose would indicate a male.
    you meant to say i need four more female barbs right?

the red nosed male runs the hell away from the beserk one (who is also the biggest of the barbs)... just witnessed another "fight" although no one seems to be injured. I read somewhere that tiger barbs will often fight for pecking order and alpha status.perhaps this is the case?

i have some hurriedly taken pictures but i have no idea how to upload them to this message :) relatively new here

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For your AC tank! - Northernguy   Thanks for the help! And yes I have a gf lol - robflanker   Thanks! - Brookfish   Thank you for your service to our Nation! - Jill   you won! - Amazon   

0 Not allowed!
    I agree with Rich. I think some of the stress is coming from being such a small group. I think Barbs like to be in groups of 8 or so.

They do bicker for a pecking order, but that usually doesn't last too long.
    All forms of humor have been removed from my signature for your safety.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    thanks for the help guys, i got four more barbs and things are back to norma now:)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks and your first gift!! - The Red Severum   Eggs woo hoo!!! - Gayle   My new buddy.  LOL - Lady Hobbs   because you're always there to help! - gourami*girl   A beer for my fellow canuck! - NickFish   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Northernguy   

0 Not allowed!
    Wheres the pics?
    Ray Your Freindly Neighborhood,Fully Mod-ified, Self-appointed Pic Hound!! Need pics!!!
    Have you filled out your profile yet ?????????????
    The Fabulous AC ebook Please read>http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/ebook.html

Latest gifts & ribbons:

thank you...  lord  that  made  me  laugh - bushwhacker   Heres a ram til yours get you more! lol - Northernguy   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by aslam14.85
    thanks for the help guys, i got four more barbs and things are back to norma now:)
    That is awesome, 8 seems like a perfect number of Tigers. Glad everyone is happy again! I had 6 tiger barbs and added 2 more last week and that seemed to make a huge difference for me too.
    46g BF tank - 5 Tiger Barbs, 8 Gold Barbs, 7 Schwartzi Cories, 1 Female German Blue Ram, 1 Red Tailed Shark and 1 Bushynose Pleco. Driftwood, natural rock and all live plants for the environment.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by aslam14.85
    hey all... i recently got 2 pairs of tiger barbs for my gold gourami tank... everything was pretty peaceful for about a week...until one of my barbs seems to have gone beserk...he chases all the other fish around and even has a go at my pleco, who is obviously unmoved and stands his ground :)
    The confusing part is that i'm not sure if the beserk barb is an aggressive male...do all males have to have red noses? all my barbs have the red stripe on their dorsal fins and their stripes are now metallic green! however, only one of the barbs sports the deep red nose...!!!! i'm confused...
    does this mean that the local aquarium had accidently sold me 4 male barbs? or is this one female barb going beserk? oh and i also witness a fight i think...two barbs( beserk and another) facing each other and they turned blackish...had a go at each other and not they are back to chasing each other...
    what the heck is going on? will this end up fatal? :)
    Hi Fish have a hirarchy 'pecking order'

after a while it will stop even among them selves but remember that certain fish cannot and will not go along like gold fish and barbs.

took me a few weeks to decide to remove them from the main tank after one of them lost a tail.

then they went after the new gold fish that is when i decide to remove them but in the first place my wife who bought the fish does not know the aggressiveness of these fish.

we all learn from mistake

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Generally, the more tiger barbs in the tank, the better. They will entertain themselves with each other vs. going after other fish.