· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default What to feed my Oscar

0 Not allowed!
    So i have Oscar the Oscar fish. thats his name...and its actually a girl but idc. ( i found out later)

So i have had her since she was 1 inch. Now she is 9 inches and it seems her growing has stopped or just slowed down. My feeding habits havent been the same either. The attention i used to give her was alot more as well. But im preoccupied with my new planted tank..lol

But feeding her krill was the best thing really cause she grew fast. The stuff she loved i cant find anymore. It was perfect. big meaty and didnt make a mess at all. Now i have these cichlid sticks but they just break up in his mouth and it all comes out the gills. i feel that its makeing a mess and she isnt getting enough food. But i dont wanna feed more and make my tank filthy. My Jack Dempseys love them but Oscar isnt gettin enough i think. I dont like doing feeder fish cause i heard it will give them Hole in the Head. Also she is blind in one eye so catching the fish was hard enough when your competing with 2 Jack Dempseys and 2 Convicts. I heard i could feed him hot dogs and tilapia. What do yall feed your Oscars?

Oh yea i feed him live crickets too like everyone other day cause i have a Bearded Dragon as well. But those get exspensive.

-Spidey

Set Up
    1 tiger oscar
    2 jack dempseys
    2 convicts
    1 cory cat
    1 pleco
    50ish convict fry. (damn fish)

Awards Showcase

Friends don't let friends drink alone, and I'm there for you man - Cliff After all that virtual alcohol it's time to sober up with some virtual food - mommy1 I can't drink alone mate - ScottishFish I won't thank you because it's a thankless job 7 also I cannot find any CUC type gifts but thanks [ - 850R Cheers bud - Cliff 
    Time for a Pint? I cannae drink alone - ScottishFish Implied message here. - mommy1 Congrats MOTM !!! - Cliff Cheers! - escamosa I dunno why I'm giving you a skunkloach as your prize,. They just sound cool! :) - escamosa 
    Merry Christmas - KingFisher Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas!! - ScottishFish Happy X-mas! :-) - MCHRKiller Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 
    A cup of coffee to get you going on that build. - Strider199 Merry xmas! - ScottishFish Merry Christmas - mommy1 Happy New Year - mommy1 Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 

0 Not allowed!
    Instead of crickets, you could feed it superworms. Not much more expensive than crickets and 1 worm has the protein of 20 crickets. I find hikari carnivore sticks are made for messy eaters and they won't cloud your water or leave much mess when chewed. Also, oscars tend to slow down their growing when they hit the 9 inch mark so that is normal.
    Thar she blows!!!

Awards Showcase

Thanks and your first gift!! - The Red Severum Eggs woo hoo!!! - Gayle My new buddy.  LOL - Lady Hobbs because you're always there to help! - gourami*girl A beer for my fellow canuck! - NickFish 
    For being a pic hound!!! - Alfcea thankyou for all your help - sueshewoman A round of gifts for my friends at ac! - Wild Turkey to a very good buddy,happy thanksgiving - angelcakes Congrats on MOTM - Lady Hobbs 
    For being on the ball and having the forum at heart. - Brookfish Thanks for the gift! Now heres one for you ! - CephalopodLover congrats on MOTM - angelcakes same to you - mrs fishpatrick thanks for the help - LORENZO 
    merry christmas - cocoa_pleco sorry for your loss - lovleeko Seasons Greetings! - Brookfish Joyeux Noel!  :) - KrytterKrys Happy Christmas 2008 - fins_n_fur 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Northernguy 

0 Not allowed!
    Ray Your Freindly Neighborhood,Fully Mod-ified, Self-appointed Pic Hound!! Need pics!!!
    Have you filled out your profile yet ?????????????
    The Fabulous AC ebook Please read>http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/ebook.html

0 Not allowed!
    I feed my oscars a combination of flakes and pellets daily, and blood worms once a week as a treat. Sometimes I'll mix in a little beef heart as well.
    -Dr. James

0 Not allowed!
    Definatly get some fresh seafood in the fish's diet. Some chopped fresh fish and raw shrimp are great. Oscars are also omnivores so you can try shoving some thawed spinach inside a chunk of raw fish, my oscars will also suprisingly eat apples, cantalope and zuchinni pieces. I also feed a wide array of Hikari foods...it seems to be the cleanest fish food you can give them. I use the Carnivore sticks, Cichlid Pellets, and Massivore. Also if your concerned with nutrition soaking your Oscar's fresh food in a vitamin supplement such as Seachem Nourish will do alot of good
    20G High-Tech Planted|50G High-Tech Planted|50G Goldfish Tank|56G Column Low-Tech Planted

4x75Gs coming soon

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernguy

Yea i did. Just looking for a brand of food to rely on. Seems Hikari is the brand of choice. Im just trying to keep my tank as clean as possible. I tried doing come raw fish but didnt take to it. When i had some live crawfish in there the quickly destroyed them. That was pretty fun to watch.
    Any other recommendation on live food beside the worms and crickets?

Thanks again. Do these Hikari foods float or sink?

Awards Showcase

a cool drink for a hot aussie day - Futureboy Just a gift for you and your betta! - Hailey your a funny person, - mitcore Woof..woof..!!! LOL! - Demi ^_^ yay to chat buddies - arkie 
    for being you :-) - mitcore little sis :-) - mitcore Here ya go - harls_aussie Thank you so much for your help in my time in need oh ty ty ty -FishMan14 - FishMan14 Have a gift! - Tolley 
    welcome back! - doug z Thanks for leaving a message on my blog xxx - Fishalicious For being a really nice person. - Brookfish A Lucky Yabby for you and your Mom! - Northernguy merry christmas - cocoa_pleco 
    A Merry Merry Christmas xxx - Fishalicious Seasons greetings, Have a great Christmas! - Brookfish Thanks! - Wild Turkey Merry Christmas - travie Happy Christmas 2008 - fins_n_fur 
    Childhood Cancer - Demi ^_^ Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Demi ^_^ Male Breast Cancer - Pregnancy Loss - Infant Loss - Sudden Infant Death - Demi ^_^ Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - Demi ^_^ 

0 Not allowed!
    I use Hikari Cichlid Gold pellets - they work wonders! Ever since I've used them, Aussie has developed a beautiful colour and he has grown heaps! I also feed him live insects (Another love of his!), sometimes mosquito larvae && monthly he gets bloodworms :-)

The pellets I use, float.

Oh, and I feed basically anything that moves to Aussie! My family is very keen on him, so you'll see my dad outside catching moths, and my mum in the garden looking for bugs

I remember once, my brother ran inside with a cup. Before I could say "Whats that?" He'd emptied the cup into the tank and a COCKROACH fell out! Ewwkk! It seemed compatible with Aussy, mind you!
    Last edited by Demi ^_^; 09-24-2009 at 12:28 AM. Reason: Read another question :-)

Awards Showcase

Thanks and your first gift!! - The Red Severum Eggs woo hoo!!! - Gayle My new buddy.  LOL - Lady Hobbs because you're always there to help! - gourami*girl A beer for my fellow canuck! - NickFish 
    For being a pic hound!!! - Alfcea thankyou for all your help - sueshewoman A round of gifts for my friends at ac! - Wild Turkey to a very good buddy,happy thanksgiving - angelcakes Congrats on MOTM - Lady Hobbs 
    For being on the ball and having the forum at heart. - Brookfish Thanks for the gift! Now heres one for you ! - CephalopodLover congrats on MOTM - angelcakes same to you - mrs fishpatrick thanks for the help - LORENZO 
    merry christmas - cocoa_pleco sorry for your loss - lovleeko Seasons Greetings! - Brookfish Joyeux Noel!  :) - KrytterKrys Happy Christmas 2008 - fins_n_fur 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Northernguy 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Demi ^_^
    I use Hikari Cichlid Gold pellets - they work wonders! Ever since I've used them, Aussie has developed a beautiful colour and he has grown heaps! I also feed him live insects (Another love of his!), sometimes mosquito larvae && monthly he gets bloodworms :-)

The pellets I use, float.
    Also they produce a noticably less amount of waste!
    At least my two do! I have white sand and it really shows so a food like this is very much appreciated! lol
    Ray Your Freindly Neighborhood,Fully Mod-ified, Self-appointed Pic Hound!! Need pics!!!
    Have you filled out your profile yet ?????????????
    The Fabulous AC ebook Please read>http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/ebook.html

Awards Showcase

a cool drink for a hot aussie day - Futureboy Just a gift for you and your betta! - Hailey your a funny person, - mitcore Woof..woof..!!! LOL! - Demi ^_^ yay to chat buddies - arkie 
    for being you :-) - mitcore little sis :-) - mitcore Here ya go - harls_aussie Thank you so much for your help in my time in need oh ty ty ty -FishMan14 - FishMan14 Have a gift! - Tolley 
    welcome back! - doug z Thanks for leaving a message on my blog xxx - Fishalicious For being a really nice person. - Brookfish A Lucky Yabby for you and your Mom! - Northernguy merry christmas - cocoa_pleco 
    A Merry Merry Christmas xxx - Fishalicious Seasons greetings, Have a great Christmas! - Brookfish Thanks! - Wild Turkey Merry Christmas - travie Happy Christmas 2008 - fins_n_fur 
    Childhood Cancer - Demi ^_^ Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Demi ^_^ Male Breast Cancer - Pregnancy Loss - Infant Loss - Sudden Infant Death - Demi ^_^ Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - Demi ^_^ 

0 Not allowed!
    Lol!

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    my oscar is about 13 to 14 in once he reached about 8in he stopped eating things that didnt move, like fish crickets hoppers etc, i have tried blood worms sticks balls of all different makes but nothing but oh well. If you live near a muddy river or get alot of rain u can dig up night crawlers, all i ever feed him is those smaller frogs and crickets