· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Sorry you had a bad start here - Lady Hobbs   Don't get discouraged!  Best of luck with your fish! - Anomaly   

Default Nitrate Trouble! Emergency!

0 Not allowed!
    Hi guys, sorry for being a newbie to the forum and requesting help straight away!

Anyway, I have 6 fish in a 8Gal tank, 34L? I was told by the aquarium that's fine. Anyway, high nitrate, one fish died the other day, was at bottom breathing heavy, so I bought three live plants to consume the nitrate, nitrate hasn't changed much, I've got another fish at the bottom now, same symptoms, don't want it to die! Been doing 25% change each day, using gravel vacuum.

Using my litmus strips (I know, inaccurate, no money atm), it says that it's about... 160 ppm. I think!

What can I do :(

Thanks guys!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

a fish for your tank because you've been so patient with cycling - mommy1   Chill out with a beer after the longest fishless cycle ever!  You deserve it! - Fraoch   Congrats on the cycle!  Another little fish for a little tank! - Sir Tristen   Angel for your g/f, good luck keeping the 55! lol - Jaster   Congrats on your award! - Brookfish   

0 Not allowed!
    Do a WC immediately - at least 50%

8 fish is way over stocked

You will need to cycle ur tank
    30g - Planted - need to do some serious rethinking
    20g - planning
    MS-II

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Next round is on me! :-D - MCHRKiller   Another day, another round for my friends. - mommy1   Friends don't let friends drink alone, Cheers - Cliff   After all that virtual alcohol it's time to sober up with some virtual food - mommy1   I think this will help after the tree - mommy1   

0 Not allowed!
    Agree with immediate water change of 50%, you'll need to do 50% water changes daily until nitrates are around 10ppm. Tank sounds like it's cycled, just massively overstocked. What are the 6 fish you have in this tiny tank? Are they all goldfish? If so, you will need a much much larger tank.
    Quote Originally Posted by i_am_511
    Lighten up its just the internet its not like someone came in your house and punched a baby in the face.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Sorry you had a bad start here - Lady Hobbs   Don't get discouraged!  Best of luck with your fish! - Anomaly   

0 Not allowed!
    Nonono @ first poster, it's 6 fish. ok. maybe it's not a 8gal then... eurgh I have no idea... anyway, no, i have 4 *small goldfish, one mini mini mini black moor and a pleco. fish keeping is so difficult... told one thing by an aquarium.. spose they just want me to buy their fish 8-) ...

well i have no money so i can't get a bigger tank, and i'll do the fifty percent changes. what if i get some more live plants this weekend??

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

a fish for your tank because you've been so patient with cycling - mommy1   Chill out with a beer after the longest fishless cycle ever!  You deserve it! - Fraoch   Congrats on the cycle!  Another little fish for a little tank! - Sir Tristen   Angel for your g/f, good luck keeping the 55! lol - Jaster   Congrats on your award! - Brookfish   

0 Not allowed!
    Ok sorry i misread the number of fish

Your tank is way over stocked. Based on the numbers, you need at least a 30-40g tank.

Fish stores will tell you whatever they can to sell you fish

You should return or sell all of your fish - none of them are appropriate for an 8g tank.

50% is necessary immediately.

Plants wont make a massive difference as your fish are simply too big for the tank
    30g - Planted - need to do some serious rethinking
    20g - planning
    MS-II

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    These fish are tiny, seriously, about the size of my thumb.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - AmazonJoe   Congrats on guessing the DT. - Silbar   Merry Christmas! - RiversGirl   Thanks for the Rep, and welcome back ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   

0 Not allowed!
    if you post the length, hieght and width of your tank we can tell you how many gallons it is, there is a calculator in the left hand menu.

also do you have any idea what your ammonia and nitrite levels are? this will help us determine if your tank is cycled or not.
    When I go fishing I just throw sharp rocks in the water and wait for the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes that reason is you are stupid and make bad decisions.

I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
    Dear naps, sorry I hated you so much when I was a child... Love me

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Next round is on me! :-D - MCHRKiller   Another day, another round for my friends. - mommy1   Friends don't let friends drink alone, Cheers - Cliff   After all that virtual alcohol it's time to sober up with some virtual food - mommy1   I think this will help after the tree - mommy1   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Myke
    Nonono @ first poster, it's 6 fish. ok. maybe it's not a 8gal then... eurgh I have no idea... anyway, no, i have 4 *small goldfish, one mini mini mini black moor and a pleco. fish keeping is so difficult... told one thing by an aquarium.. spose they just want me to buy their fish 8-) ...

well i have no money so i can't get a bigger tank, and i'll do the fifty percent changes. what if i get some more live plants this weekend??
    What are the dimensions of the tank? If you tell us those then we will know how big it is.

Rule of thumb for goldfish stocking is 20g for the first fancy goldfish, then 10 more gallons for each additional goldfish. So 4 fancy goldfish, I'd say a 55g tank would be appropriate. But you throw in a common pleco, you're gonna need 125g. If the goldfish are common goldfish, they really need to live in a goldfish pond as they get very large.

If your financial situation does not allow you to properly care for the fish, maybe rehoming is the best option. You could then restock your tank with fish suitable for the size of the tank. Do not listen to pet stores, they are there to make money, the more fish they sell the more money they make.
    Quote Originally Posted by i_am_511
    Lighten up its just the internet its not like someone came in your house and punched a baby in the face.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Well I've taken one of the fish out of the water (the hard breathing one), but what makes me laugh right, they've lived happily like this for almost a year now, they haven't grown any larger and only one is a fancy goldfish.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Just because - fins_n_fur   This is also just because - sailor   here ya go! - Agassizii   To road tripping - Nobodynotime   Thanks - Little Embers   

0 Not allowed!
    I did almost the same thing when i first started... listen to these guys , they all helped me out alot. Im still learning. But stick with it its a very rewarding hobby! good luck myke
    the bobber mirrored the setting sun as it nestled into the distant clouds...
    ...the rippling wave whispered for my readiness as a fish teased the hook...
    This Is LIFE!

Hi!!
    Im AXE