· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Thread: Snail Tank

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Cool Snail Tank

0 Not allowed!
    I was given a very large snail(i believe to be an apple snail) by someone who had it in one of those country crock(sp?) butter tubs so i willingly took it off their hands only to find out that it munched on all my plants so i have decided to try n use my old 2.5g mini bow front tank to it. i was wondering if this would be a large enough tank for an apple snail probably around 3+in in diameter.

i have a tiny filter that is rated for 1-3g in my 10g tank just cause so i plan on using that filter for the 2.5g and i dont know if it will eat anacharis or not but i cant get it pretty cheaply around here so i plan on having a bundle of that in there and keeping another bundle in my 29g incase it does eat the anacharis i can have a supply from the other tank to stick in there.

now my question is if i can house this big ol snail in this tank would i be able to stick another smaller snail species or 2 in the tank to kinda add something to it or would that be all that will fit in the tank

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

you needed a gift - Agassizii   Thanks for the tip! - Northernguy   I'm so sorry :( - Oscar_freak12321   Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill   Happy New Years, here's your Pl*co! xD - Oscar_freak12321   
    Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - VoidParadigm   

0 Not allowed!
    It's probably an apple/mystery snail. As long as it doesn't grow any larger it's fine in that tank. I wouldn't recommend anything else to be added, but if you did very frequent water changes it might be alright. They'll eat most veggies and sinking pellets, but read the ingredients on any sinking food! Some of the sinking foods have copper which is a big no-no for inverts!

If it has been eating your plants it's either starved, your plants are dying anyways, or it's a rarer species of Apple snail.
    Last edited by VoidParadigm; 09-21-2009 at 02:52 AM.
    A severe lack of trichogaster.

Just because your Gourami is sick does not mean it is always Iridovirus, DGIV, Gourami Disease, et cetera.
    Look at all the other factors in your tank before coming to this conclusion.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Cool

0 Not allowed!
    i believe it is one of he plant eating species as the tank i put it in had a decent amount of algae and it went straight for the plants and decimated them over night pretty much

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks and your first gift!! - The Red Severum   Eggs woo hoo!!! - Gayle   My new buddy.  LOL - Lady Hobbs   because you're always there to help! - gourami*girl   A beer for my fellow canuck! - NickFish   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Northernguy   

0 Not allowed!
    As far as I have seen the gold apple snails do not eat plants but all the darker ones I have had prefer them.
    A tank 3+ inches sounds way to small!
    Ray Your Freindly Neighborhood,Fully Mod-ified, Self-appointed Pic Hound!! Need pics!!!
    Have you filled out your profile yet ?????????????
    The Fabulous AC ebook Please read>http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/ebook.html

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Cool

0 Not allowed!
    yea i got answers on a few other sites that said my little 2.5g would be too small so for now it is going to stay in my 10g that its in and i believe it may be a canas(please dont ask for the whole scientific name lol) or one of the other plant eating apple snails which i have found out can be somewhat sought after because of the bans about taking them across state lines so i may try to sell it to someone here in FL