· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Also, has anyone used the Fission nano skimmer? I ran across a different one a Rio Nano Skimmer.
    http://www.aquacave.com/fission-nano...t-usa-488.html

http://www.marineandreef.com/Product...torysingle=YES

Any idea which would be better?
    10 Gal- Royal Blue/Red Veil Tail Betta (Sobek), 2 Mystery Snails (Akuk, Hermes), 1 Albino Snail (Thoosa), 4 Dwarf Corys (Proteus, Hapy, Llyr and Enki)
    20 Gal- 4 Ghost shrimp (Nyx, Axrael, Orcus, Dis Pater) 6 Ember Tetras (Joramy, Pele, Thetis, Prometheus, Agni, and Ares) 4 Albino Snails (Aquilo, Auster, Vulternus, Favonius) and one Red Cambodian Crown Tailed Betta (Taranis)
    10 Gal- Under Construction! Going Reef! ^_^

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    From what I have heard, they both stink.

The only nano skimmer I have ever heard good things about is this one:
    http://www.marinedepot.com/AquaticLi...PSISVS-vi.html
    40g SW

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    So if I switch to a 10gal, would I need to change anything about the setup? Thanks for all of the info guys! ^_^
    -Use the 5.5gal as the refug
    -Powerhead
    -Skimmer
    -15-20lbs LS
    -10-12lbs LR
    -50-70W Heater
    Last edited by Xochi16; 09-12-2009 at 02:55 AM.
    10 Gal- Royal Blue/Red Veil Tail Betta (Sobek), 2 Mystery Snails (Akuk, Hermes), 1 Albino Snail (Thoosa), 4 Dwarf Corys (Proteus, Hapy, Llyr and Enki)
    20 Gal- 4 Ghost shrimp (Nyx, Axrael, Orcus, Dis Pater) 6 Ember Tetras (Joramy, Pele, Thetis, Prometheus, Agni, and Ares) 4 Albino Snails (Aquilo, Auster, Vulternus, Favonius) and one Red Cambodian Crown Tailed Betta (Taranis)

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishguy2727
    They sell 30# bags of live rock? It is wet and in a tank?

Honestly an AC50 fuge would be effectively useless. I really think for about the same cost you could easily do a 10 and use the 5.5 as a sump or fuge.

Everyone I have talked to says that any skimmers for tansk under about 30 gallons are not even worth buying, water changes will be much more effective. Save the money.

Put the money from the skimmer toward the lighting. I know you aren't planning on much, but better lighting is always better. The last thing you want is to find a coral you like and have to not get it because your lighting is inadequate. The 5.5 at work has a 2x9 watt compact fluorescent Current fixture with LED moonlight. It runs about $100 but does a greta job.

I personally think mushrooms are inappropriate for such a small tank. They can easily grow so large and split so much that they take over. Zoanthids are much more appropriate, come in at least as many colors, and will 'fit' the tank better.

In addition to corals I would add things like nassarius snails, a few of the little nano hermits, and that is about it. There are very few options for fish, but if you are too tempted and have to get something they should be something like clown gobies.
    Yeah, he is a local guy. He travels down to florida often all he deals in is live sand and corals. I had seen a DIY hood, the guy made a wooden hood and put three under cabinet LED's in it. I think it was a total of 50+ watts. Would this not work either? I'll check into all of the links! thanks!

0 Not allowed!
    Ive heard good and bad things about any of those skimmers. The general census IMO is...any skimmer is better than none. I personally like external skimmers for the cleanness they provide inside the tank, don't have all that clutter of equipment. The Aqua-C Remora Nano skimmer would be my first pick for a skimmer on that tank personally. Of course if positioning of your tank would allow for it I would stick a BakBak on there personally.

Outside of getting a somewhat larger light fixture, and a slightly better skimmer you wouldn't need to change anything IMO. Personally I would look at fishneedit.com for their 70watt metal halide fixture...one of those would really be nice on a 10G reef setup. For live rock I would probably bump it up to 12-15lbs of it personally. I probably wouldn't bother trying to DIY lighting when there are so many independent lighting companies selling nice fixtures at some great prices.
    Last edited by MCHRKiller; 09-12-2009 at 03:01 AM.
    20G High-Tech Planted|50G High-Tech Planted|50G Goldfish Tank|56G Column Low-Tech Planted

4x75Gs coming soon

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by MCHRKiller
    Ive heard good and bad things about any of those skimmers. The general census IMO is...any skimmer is better than none. I personally like external skimmers for the cleanness they provide inside the tank, don't have all that clutter of equipment. The Aqua-C Remora Nano skimmer would be my first pick for a skimmer on that tank personally. Of course if positioning of your tank would allow for it I would stick a BakBak on there personally.

Outside of getting a somewhat larger light fixture, and a slightly better skimmer you wouldn't need to change anything IMO. Personally I would look at fishneedit.com for their 70watt metal halide fixture...one of those would really be nice on a 10G reef setup. For live rock I would probably bump it up to 12-15lbs of it personally. I probably wouldn't bother trying to DIY lighting when there are so many independent lighting companies selling nice fixtures at some great prices.
    Do you have a recommended skimmer for a 10gal? I found a 40w and 65w from Current USA
    http://www.marineandreef.com/Satelli...p/rcu01002.htm
    Last edited by Xochi16; 09-12-2009 at 03:33 AM.

0 Not allowed!
    If you could DIY a hoold like in the middle of the page with the 2*36watt CF bulbs that would be fabulous. Have a 10,000K and an actinic. The single 55watt is just a bit low for a 10G lighting IMO. Not to mention you could really give the corals their preferable mix of daylight and actinic lighting with the 2*36 and it would fit over your tank better than the single 55watt bulb.

For skimmer, I would look into an Aqua C Remora Nano skimmer.
    20G High-Tech Planted|50G High-Tech Planted|50G Goldfish Tank|56G Column Low-Tech Planted

4x75Gs coming soon