· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default What kind of plant is this, and is it ok?

0 Not allowed!
    Ok.
    I recently picked up a plant at my LFS, and I have no idea what it is. They guys who know what they are doing, and a younger kid who just kind of helps out was assisting me.

It's a beautiful plant, but it was like this when I bought it. The top of the plant is GORGEOUS! It could not be prettier. Beauitful pink and green leaves.......

Everything below the top is ok.

At the very bottom, there are few leaves.

It almost looks like I am supposed to trim it from the bottom up! Any suggestions or ideas? Also, if you could name it for me, that'd be awesome.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

-will
    Attached Images Attached Images
    20 Gallon Freshwater Community Tank

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - Abbeys_Mom   Please accept this as a token of my appreciation - crackatinny   Merry X-mas - NorthernBoy   For being a great poster from Hobbs - hobbs   thank you so much!!!  you're awesome!  here's some champagne!  i know, you can't drink it!!  lololol - jeffs99dime   
    Male Breast Cancer - Pregnancy Loss - Infant Loss - Sudden Infant Death - Abbeys_Mom   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Abbeys_Mom   Childhood Cancer - Abbeys_Mom   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Abbeys_Mom   

0 Not allowed!
    It's a Ammannia senegalensis.
    Greatest Guitar Forum Ever
    www.thestringnetwork.com

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

you need some gifts - Lady Hobbs   strawberry daquari anyone? - Lady Hobbs   food, food, food - Lady Hobbs   My hero! - Lady Hobbs   Have another? - Drumachine09   
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - xoolooxunny   Cultural Diversity - Hunger - Leukemia - Lupus - Melanoma - Racial Tolerance - Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome - Self Injury - xoolooxunny   

0 Not allowed!
    I'll look around and see if i can ID it for you, unless someone beats me to it. But in the mean time, yes trim it from the bottom up! Those lower leaves were not getting enough light in the fish store, so they kind of dwindle away in their uselessness. Fish stores have a bad habit of not catering to FW plants.
    -75g FW community, planted
    -10g FW guppies, planted
    -44g Terrarium, tree frog, various plants.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

you need some gifts - Lady Hobbs   strawberry daquari anyone? - Lady Hobbs   food, food, food - Lady Hobbs   My hero! - Lady Hobbs   Have another? - Drumachine09   
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - xoolooxunny   Cultural Diversity - Hunger - Leukemia - Lupus - Melanoma - Racial Tolerance - Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome - Self Injury - xoolooxunny   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Abbeys_Mom
    It's a Ammannia senegalensis.
    Did I call that or what? And not a minute too soon!
    -10g FW guppies, planted

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

thanks for good advice - hobbs   ROADTRIP! - Drumachine09   We'll need a case of these for the roadtrip, got the humvee waitin. lol - cocoa_pleco   NO plants = Sour grapes  LOL - hobbs   Wooden Spoon Protection! - Drumachine09   

0 Not allowed!
    It's a stem plant, so don't touch it for a 2 weeks. Let it grow a root system, and when it gets too tall, cut off the upper half and replant it. Be careful that it does not rot, however. Not sure how much light you have on that tank.

Don't pull the lower leaves just yet, or you'll get a palm tree effect, as bottom leaves tend to grow back very slowly (if at all) under lower light and without a root system
    Last edited by Chrona; 03-31-2007 at 12:58 AM.
    Foshizzle.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    When it comes to regrowing the root system, I (after cutting the top half off) will put a weight about a half inch up the stem from the piece that came from the top, and let it sink to just sit on top of the substrate. That's how i play the careful game to make sure it's not rotting while waiting for roots.
    -10g FW guppies, planted

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry if this is a dumb question, but when it's time to cut the plant, I cut it in half and replant the top half (well kind of).

Does that end up leaving me with 2 plants? Or does the bottom half get removed or die away or something?

And I don't remember what kind of light I have in my tank. Typically it's pretty bright, but my water is a bit cloudy right now :-( ............that's the other thing I am working on.

Thanks!
    20 Gallon Freshwater Community Tank

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    well, if you do what Chrona suggests and wait 2 weeks for new roots and dont remove old leaves, then yes it will leave you with 2 plants. The lower part of the stalk will just grow replacement leaves since the old ones are still somewhat functional to absorb light energy.
    -10g FW guppies, planted