· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Question Questions about HITH (hole in the head)

0 Not allowed!
    One week ago I was at my local live fish store delivering about 50 juvenile angelfish (I'm their supplier) and noticed an oscar with a really bad case of hole in the head (HITH). It actually looked like another fish took a bite out of it. I asked the manager what happened to the little oscar and he said all he knew about it is animal control called them to get some fish out of a house that the renters had abandoned and it was the only one out of 8 oscars that was in the same tank that survived getting transported to the store (the renters also left 2 cats and 3 dogs). He also said it came in that way and had no idea what happened to it.

So long story short the manager gave me the oscar and gave me $10 store credit to get me to take the poor thing.

Now the poor guy is in my oscar tank with my other oscars and is acting just like the other ones (I just put it in with the others today). I have noticed after a week the hole in the poor guys head is getting smaller and no longer looks like another fish took a bite out of it. The hole is half the size of a dime.
    I have aquarium salt in the tank (it was added according to the directions when I set the tank up and with last water change). I know that aquarium salt dose help with healing.
    I have a product called "Melafix" that is supposed to treat open sores but I don't want to use it because it would require removing the carbon filter and I don't want to mess up my water quality.

My water parameters are: tank size 225US gal, PH 7.1, Ammonia 0, nitrites 0 and, nitrates 15ppm

I don't know what else to do to help this oscar. Is there anything anyone would like to share that would help the little guy get better faster?

Edit: just so everyone knows I don't know much about fish illnesses outside of what I have read on this web forum
    Last edited by jarjarbinks42981; 09-07-2009 at 05:08 AM.
    Goldfish bowels should be banned by law everywhere. Don't torture that fish by putting it in such a tiny space.

If your gonna dream, you better DREAM BIG!!

Awards Showcase

Friends don't let friends drink alone, and I'm there for you man - Cliff After all that virtual alcohol it's time to sober up with some virtual food - mommy1 I can't drink alone mate - ScottishFish I won't thank you because it's a thankless job 7 also I cannot find any CUC type gifts but thanks [ - 850R Cheers bud - Cliff 
    Time for a Pint? I cannae drink alone - ScottishFish Implied message here. - mommy1 Congrats MOTM !!! - Cliff Cheers! - escamosa I dunno why I'm giving you a skunkloach as your prize,. They just sound cool! :) - escamosa 
    Merry Christmas - KingFisher Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas!! - ScottishFish Happy X-mas! :-) - MCHRKiller Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 
    A cup of coffee to get you going on that build. - Strider199 Merry xmas! - ScottishFish Merry Christmas - mommy1 Happy New Year - mommy1 Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 

0 Not allowed!
    Melafix would help, but yes, you hafta remove the carbon. Just keeping the oscar in clean water will help... but melafix works good and quicker. Depending on the severity of HITH, he may never be 100%, but he can still live a long good life.
    Thar she blows!!!

Awards Showcase

Thanks and your first gift!! - The Red Severum Eggs woo hoo!!! - Gayle My new buddy.  LOL - Lady Hobbs because you're always there to help! - gourami*girl A beer for my fellow canuck! - NickFish 
    For being a pic hound!!! - Alfcea thankyou for all your help - sueshewoman A round of gifts for my friends at ac! - Wild Turkey to a very good buddy,happy thanksgiving - angelcakes Congrats on MOTM - Lady Hobbs 
    For being on the ball and having the forum at heart. - Brookfish Thanks for the gift! Now heres one for you ! - CephalopodLover congrats on MOTM - angelcakes same to you - mrs fishpatrick thanks for the help - LORENZO 
    merry christmas - cocoa_pleco sorry for your loss - lovleeko Seasons Greetings! - Brookfish Joyeux Noel!  :) - KrytterKrys Happy Christmas 2008 - fins_n_fur 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Northernguy 

0 Not allowed!
    Lots of large water changes! Don't forget dechlorinator!
    I hope he gave you credit for the meds too!
    Its a sad thing to see a sick fish in the store but thats not your problem its the stores!I also you salt in half doses in this case.Do not add it more than once and the only way to get it out is water changes.
    You really should only buy healthy fish. Good luck!
    Ray Your Freindly Neighborhood,Fully Mod-ified, Self-appointed Pic Hound!! Need pics!!!
    Have you filled out your profile yet ?????????????
    The Fabulous AC ebook Please read>http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/ebook.html

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom Great advice thanks - nraposa Thanks for helping me with my cichlids - Drumachine09 Always good answers - Lady Hobbs You dont have enough gifts. - Drumachine09 
    Thanks for your help again. - Lady Hobbs goodbye reptileguy....hello Fishguy - Lady Hobbs For always giving me great answere's on my PM's. Thanks for all the help! - cocoa_pleco Thanks For Your Help & Knowledge! :) - MeganL3985 For weakening me against axolotls!!!!!!! - Nick_Pavlovski 
    I am baking today and figured I'd share...Thanks for Always Helping when it's needed! - **AquaQueen** For recommending Fluvals and Stealths - Lady Hobbs Merry Christmas :) - MeganL3985 Merry Christmas! - RichBowyer Thanks for the hikari help - Billythefish 
    No Message - LORENZO Merry Christmas - Northernguy merry christmas.. a fellow fishnutter. - LORENZO merry christmas.. a fellow fishnutter. - LORENZO Merry X-Mas!! - The Red Severum 

0 Not allowed!
    Owner: Aquarium Maintenance and Pet Care Company
    Owner: Web Design Company
    Brian's Aquarium Care: Articles about many aspects of aquarium care.

5. Thumbs up good news!

0 Not allowed!
    There is good news! The store manager called me today and told me to come in on tuesday and said since he gave me "their problem" he will give a gallon of "melafix" for the poor guy and some filters for my pumps that don't have carbon in them. So I will treat the tank with melafix.

I will keep everyone posted.
    Last edited by jarjarbinks42981; 09-08-2009 at 04:11 AM.
    Goldfish bowels should be banned by law everywhere. Don't torture that fish by putting it in such a tiny space.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ok I went to the LFS and talked to the manager and he gave me some melafix and told me to follow the instructions to the letter except do a water change daily instead of after week. Can I do it that way and have it still work?

7. Thumbs up

0 Not allowed!
    After treating with melafix I have notice a huge difference in the oscars recovery. The hole in its head is much smaller now. I hope he recovers fully

0 Not allowed!
    Good to hear.
    the statement below is false
    the statement above is true
    which one is true?
    Got a small tank? Check out Fishalicious' small fish list! http://fishaliciousfish.blogspot.com...-for-nano.html
    Got a big fish you just can't handle? Check out Monster Fish Rescue! http://www.monsterfishrescue.com/

Awards Showcase

Thanks and your first gift!! - The Red Severum Eggs woo hoo!!! - Gayle My new buddy.  LOL - Lady Hobbs because you're always there to help! - gourami*girl A beer for my fellow canuck! - NickFish 
    For being a pic hound!!! - Alfcea thankyou for all your help - sueshewoman A round of gifts for my friends at ac! - Wild Turkey to a very good buddy,happy thanksgiving - angelcakes Congrats on MOTM - Lady Hobbs 
    For being on the ball and having the forum at heart. - Brookfish Thanks for the gift! Now heres one for you ! - CephalopodLover congrats on MOTM - angelcakes same to you - mrs fishpatrick thanks for the help - LORENZO 
    merry christmas - cocoa_pleco sorry for your loss - lovleeko Seasons Greetings! - Brookfish Joyeux Noel!  :) - KrytterKrys Happy Christmas 2008 - fins_n_fur 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Northernguy 

0 Not allowed!
    Thats good to hear!
    Keep doing your water changes and adding your meds.
    Make sure you remove the carbon if you use it.
    Ray Your Freindly Neighborhood,Fully Mod-ified, Self-appointed Pic Hound!! Need pics!!!
    Have you filled out your profile yet ?????????????
    The Fabulous AC ebook Please read>http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/ebook.html

10. Cool awesome news

0 Not allowed!
    After treatment the poor oscar has recovered fully. I hope the little guy grows up and picks a mate so I have more oscars. I just love them they are wonderful fish. They are just like puppies :-)