· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gar Newbie

0 Not allowed!
    Get a 6x2 tank and this will more than likely work fine. Otherwise you are setting yourself and the fish up for failure. As said above...this fish may look small at the moment and the tank may look empty, but he will grow to 18+ inches. A couple of 18+ inch fish in a 4' tank doesn't sound too good to me. ...and believe me...gar grow FAST!
    -Jordan
    Gar connaisseur

Predatory Tank:
    20" Tropical Gar, 18" Florida Gar, 20" Longnose Gar,
    17" Ornate Bichir, 25" Silver Arowana, 16" Bowfin, 15" Giant Gourami

16" Male Dovii

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Water changes twice a week and feed frozen/thawed smelt.shrimp,and scallops,as feeders carry all kinds of different nasty's.Then plan on a larger tank,like a square aquarium so the gar can turn around in it comfortably.Or a prefab pond would work with floating plants to make them feel secure.It is a hardy fish that has survive prehistoric times,so you would have to neglect it a lot to kill it.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have read, but can't confirm, that it is better to "step up" a Gar as it gets bigger, as regards tank length. Some say they are susceptible to breaking their spines if they are in a tank long enough for them to get up too much speed and hit the end.

We started ours in a 55. He did well, but at ten and a half inches, the 12 inch turn-around space looked too crowded. He's now loving his new 75, which gives him much, much more room to turn and swim.

I have thought about a tankmate for ours. One large, passive fish I tried ended up herded all over the tank by the Gar, never bit, nipped, or attacked, just herded and stressed. I removed it, of course.

You could try another Gar, or two, I guess--you would see a group in the wild, and one of our public aquariums has a fantastic looking group of 20 or so in a tank. Aside from any tank size issues, I would be concerned about the following:
    1. Your new Gars will be wild-caught, and may bring pond lice or other wild organisms or parasites into your tank.
    2. Personalities may clash, and you might need to remove one or more within minutes of introduction.
    Both concerns could be addressed if you have another big tank to use as quarantine (1) or to remove a bully.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have read, but can't confirm, that it is better to "step up" a Gar as it gets bigger, as regards tank length. Some say they are susceptible to breaking their spines if they are in a tank long enough for them to get up too much speed and hit the end.

We started ours in a 55. He did well, but at ten and a half inches, the 12 inch turn-around space looked too crowded. He's now loving his new 75, which gives him much, much more room to turn and swim.

I have thought about a tankmate for ours. One large, passive fish I tried ended up herded all over the tank by the Gar, never bit, nipped, or attacked, just herded and stressed. I removed it, of course.

You could try another Gar, or two, I guess--you would see a group in the wild, and one of our public aquariums has a fantastic looking group of 20 or so in a tank. Aside from any tank size issues, I would be concerned about the following:
    1. Your new Gars will be wild-caught, and may bring pond lice or other wild organisms or parasites into your tank.
    2. Personalities may clash, and you might need to remove one or more within minutes of introduction.
    Both concerns could be addressed if you have another big tank to use as quarantine (1) or to remove a bully.[/QUOTE]

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fishsafari

This is absolutely true and is a great method for raising yoy Gar.

The best tankmates I have found for Gar are...Other Gars, Bichirs, Arowana, and my Bowfin seems to do okay with them (although he gets a little crazy at times). Also some mid-sized peaceful catfish seem to do okay with Gars (no TSN or RTC).

Just my 2 cents...
    -Jordan
    Gar connaisseur

Predatory Tank:

16" Male Dovii

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by skullduggery1
    Water changes twice a week and feed frozen/thawed smelt.shrimp,and scallops,as feeders carry all kinds of different nasty's.Then plan on a larger tank,like a square aquarium so the gar can turn around in it comfortably.Or a prefab pond would work with floating plants to make them feel secure.It is a hardy fish that has survive prehistoric times,so you would have to neglect it a lot to kill it.
    This is somewhat true, but is no excuse for poor husbandry. Also...These fish have several severe health issues that can result from keeping them in poor conditions of which most people have no clue about. I have seen/rescued some pretty messed up Gars that were kept in substandard living conditions. just a though...
    -Jordan
    Gar connaisseur

Predatory Tank:

16" Male Dovii

Awards Showcase

Friends don't let friends drink alone, and I'm there for you man - Cliff After all that virtual alcohol it's time to sober up with some virtual food - mommy1 I can't drink alone mate - ScottishFish I won't thank you because it's a thankless job 7 also I cannot find any CUC type gifts but thanks [ - 850R Cheers bud - Cliff 
    Time for a Pint? I cannae drink alone - ScottishFish Implied message here. - mommy1 Congrats MOTM !!! - Cliff Cheers! - escamosa I dunno why I'm giving you a skunkloach as your prize,. They just sound cool! :) - escamosa 
    Merry Christmas - KingFisher Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas!! - ScottishFish Happy X-mas! :-) - MCHRKiller Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 
    A cup of coffee to get you going on that build. - Strider199 Merry xmas! - ScottishFish Merry Christmas - mommy1 Happy New Year - mommy1 Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 

0 Not allowed!
    although valid points, this thread is 18 months old and I don't think the op is around anymore.
    Thar she blows!!!