· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default 5.5 gal nano reef project

0 Not allowed!
    Hey all! I've been doing some research and have gotten some good advice from PurplePeopleEater and am going to try a 5.5 gal Nano reef. I know that it will be challenge but I'm going to try it! Right now I have or plan on buying the following materials:
    30lbs LS (White Figi)
    Refracometer
    50W Heater
    AC 50 (planning on turning it hopefully into a fuge) http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...5&pagenumber=2
    Fission Nano Skimmer
    I am unsure about a power head, I think the current from the AC 50 would be plenty but I'm unsure
    I was also looking for advice about how much live rock I was considering about 5-8lbs. And if anyone has any good links or suggestions for Lighting. I am not sure if I could rig something together and would prefer to buy something (don't want to electrocute anyone lol)
    I am currently thinking of keeping some mushrooms and polyps. Probably no fish, just a cleanup crew.
    And advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by Xochi16; 09-11-2009 at 10:12 PM.
    10 Gal- Royal Blue/Red Veil Tail Betta (Sobek), 2 Mystery Snails (Akuk, Hermes), 1 Albino Snail (Thoosa), 4 Dwarf Corys (Proteus, Hapy, Llyr and Enki)
    20 Gal- 4 Ghost shrimp (Nyx, Axrael, Orcus, Dis Pater) 6 Ember Tetras (Joramy, Pele, Thetis, Prometheus, Agni, and Ares) 4 Albino Snails (Aquilo, Auster, Vulternus, Favonius) and one Red Cambodian Crown Tailed Betta (Taranis)
    10 Gal- Under Construction! Going Reef! ^_^

0 Not allowed!
    everything sounds good but How are you going to fit 30lbsof live sand in a 5.5g?
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick"
    Teddy Roosevelt
    I have lots of tanks, 9 I think.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Amazon
    everything sounds good but How are you going to fit 30lbsof live sand in a 5.5g?
    The place where I got it, it comes in bags of 30lbs. I don't intend on putting the whole 30lbs in. Probably 15? I'm not sure what I'll do with the rest, I'm sure if it will keep anywhere lol
    10 Gal- Royal Blue/Red Veil Tail Betta (Sobek), 2 Mystery Snails (Akuk, Hermes), 1 Albino Snail (Thoosa), 4 Dwarf Corys (Proteus, Hapy, Llyr and Enki)
    20 Gal- 4 Ghost shrimp (Nyx, Axrael, Orcus, Dis Pater) 6 Ember Tetras (Joramy, Pele, Thetis, Prometheus, Agni, and Ares) 4 Albino Snails (Aquilo, Auster, Vulternus, Favonius) and one Red Cambodian Crown Tailed Betta (Taranis)

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I just started my 5.5 gallon too! Its going good so far, I just got rid of most of the algae growing since of last two weeks.

Good luck, reef aquariums are beautiful

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyatt
    I just started my 5.5 gallon too! Its going good so far, I just got rid of most of the algae growing since of last two weeks.

Good luck, reef aquariums are beautiful
    I saw the post it looks beautiful. I may come poking around for advice if you don't mind lol

0 Not allowed!
    Lighting 5.5G tanks is a hard task, the only fixtures Ive found to really fit the 16" size is by Catalinia....this would be a nice fixture if you wanted to go reef http://www.catalinaaquarium.com/prod...oducts_id=1193 and I have ordered this for my own 5.5G planted...would be nice for a FOWLR as well http://www.catalinaaquarium.com/prod...oducts_id=1229

If your wanting to use it as a fuge an AC70 may be a better option than the AC50 as they offer *alot* more space in the media chamber and the flow isn't of significance as you can adjust that. I put in 20lbs of LS into my 15G high and it has created about a 2" bed. You would want no more IMO than 8-10lbs. I am personally a huge fan of Pacific East. They sell some of the best live rock Ive ever came across, and they sell live sand to at a decent cost to.
    20G High-Tech Planted|50G High-Tech Planted|50G Goldfish Tank|56G Column Low-Tech Planted

4x75Gs coming soon

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom Great advice thanks - nraposa Thanks for helping me with my cichlids - Drumachine09 Always good answers - Lady Hobbs You dont have enough gifts. - Drumachine09 
    Thanks for your help again. - Lady Hobbs goodbye reptileguy....hello Fishguy - Lady Hobbs For always giving me great answere's on my PM's. Thanks for all the help! - cocoa_pleco Thanks For Your Help & Knowledge! :) - MeganL3985 For weakening me against axolotls!!!!!!! - Nick_Pavlovski 
    I am baking today and figured I'd share...Thanks for Always Helping when it's needed! - **AquaQueen** For recommending Fluvals and Stealths - Lady Hobbs Merry Christmas :) - MeganL3985 Merry Christmas! - RichBowyer Thanks for the hikari help - Billythefish 
    No Message - LORENZO Merry Christmas - Northernguy merry christmas.. a fellow fishnutter. - LORENZO merry christmas.. a fellow fishnutter. - LORENZO Merry X-Mas!! - The Red Severum 

0 Not allowed!
    They sell 30# bags of live rock? It is wet and in a tank?

Honestly an AC50 fuge would be effectively useless. I really think for about the same cost you could easily do a 10 and use the 5.5 as a sump or fuge.

Everyone I have talked to says that any skimmers for tansk under about 30 gallons are not even worth buying, water changes will be much more effective. Save the money.

Put the money from the skimmer toward the lighting. I know you aren't planning on much, but better lighting is always better. The last thing you want is to find a coral you like and have to not get it because your lighting is inadequate. The 5.5 at work has a 2x9 watt compact fluorescent Current fixture with LED moonlight. It runs about $100 but does a greta job.

I personally think mushrooms are inappropriate for such a small tank. They can easily grow so large and split so much that they take over. Zoanthids are much more appropriate, come in at least as many colors, and will 'fit' the tank better.

In addition to corals I would add things like nassarius snails, a few of the little nano hermits, and that is about it. There are very few options for fish, but if you are too tempted and have to get something they should be something like clown gobies.
    Aquarist since 1995
    Biologist
    Owner: Aquarium Maintenance Company
    Brian's Aquarium Care: Articles about many aspects of aquarium care.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by MCHRKiller
    Lighting 5.5G tanks is a hard task, the only fixtures Ive found to really fit the 16" size is by Catalinia....this would be a nice fixture if you wanted to go reef http://www.catalinaaquarium.com/prod...oducts_id=1193 and I have ordered this for my own 5.5G planted...would be nice for a FOWLR as well http://www.catalinaaquarium.com/prod...oducts_id=1229

If your wanting to use it as a fuge an AC70 may be a better option than the AC50 as they offer *alot* more space in the media chamber and the flow isn't of significance as you can adjust that. I put in 20lbs of LS into my 15G high and it has created about a 2" bed. You would want no more IMO than 8-10lbs. I am personally a huge fan of Pacific East. They sell some of the best live rock Ive ever came across, and they sell live sand to at a decent cost to.
    Thank you very much for the links! how many watts do you think I would need? I am actually going to order from Pacific east, I ran across their website. they have some stunning corals ^_^

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I agree with the others...go with an AC70 and no skimmer.

Like MCHR said, the trick is going to be finding the right light for a 5.5g. If you switch to a 10g, it will really open up a lot more options regarding lights. A 10g will also allow you to keep a fish or two, depending on how high you want the bio-load to be.
    40g SW

0 Not allowed!
    lol, Id skim it to...just for the sake of it would help. Tanks this small are always tetering on the edge of a potential crash...based just on the low water volume. For nanos your naturally going to need more wattage per gallon to achieve nice results, that 48watt fixture is honestly about the best lighting you can get for that 5.5G especially for its cost. It will provide enough light to easily grow the corals you want, but its not over-lighting the tank. If you could move to just a 10G tank your options would triple, and your chance of success would also increase dramatically. Honestly the cost wouldnt be really any different than the 5.5G...but with nearly twice the volume of water....the stability would save you alot of headache in the future.
    20G High-Tech Planted|50G High-Tech Planted|50G Goldfish Tank|56G Column Low-Tech Planted

4x75Gs coming soon