· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Thread: Water lettuce

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a cory to start your AC Tank off ! - Brookfish   

Default Water lettuce

0 Not allowed!
    I bought 6 of these the other day for my 55 gallon tank. It looks really cool compared to the hornwart I have which is getting a bit ratty.

Problem is the roots or tails have dropped off them. Most only have one long tail left, one has none. When I first dropped them in the tank they tended to get swept around by the current of the tank; I'm wondering if the movement is what did it.

How can I corral them on one side of the tank away from the filter? At the moment they are kind of tangled up with the hornwart which makes them stay put, but if I get rid of the hornwart they might start drifting around again.
    55 gallon community tank
    10 platies
    2 guppies
    a few guppy and platy fry
    7 zebra danios
    6 panda corys
    2 skunk corys
    4 elegant corys
    hornwart, crypt, java moss, a couple of small melon swords

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Member of the month, a toast is in order. - Strider199   Sorry about your blood parrot :-( - ~firefly~   For this; http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=111325 - Strider199   :-) - ~firefly~   Happy mother's day! Enjoy one on me LOL - imma24   
    Childhood Cancer - hobbs   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - hobbs   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Lady Hobbs   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Lady Hobbs   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    I'm not sure what it takes to have floating plants. Every one I tried ended up knocked all over the place from the filter and half of the plants sucked up the inflow tube. Perhaps they work better on a small tank with a sponge filter but they sure don't work with my filtration.

Water lettuce is cool, I think. Hope it works for you.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Anyone that had a trio of angels deserves a gift. - Brookfish   Thanks for all the help in PM - Taurus   Great pic! - Brookfish   You need a bigger school of angels! lol - Northernguy   Heres a neon for your tank! - Northernguy   

0 Not allowed!
    As with most plants a bit of wilting is expected when they get put into a new tank. Keep an eye on them, but I bet they will come back. I've never grown them, but from what I hear they are pretty hearty.
    75G Planted Blue Themed Community Tank:
    Neon Tetras, Blue Platties, Blue Guppies, Blue Snails, & a pleco
    with 4 hang off breeder tanks for Blue/Red Platty Project

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

A cup of coffee to get you going on that build. - Strider199   Merry xmas! - ScottishFish   Merry Christmas - mommy1   Happy New Year - mommy1   Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1   

0 Not allowed!
    Water lettuce needs LOTS of light. I have a few huge ones that keep all the smaller one's from drifting around. You'll find that you'll be cleaning your filter intakes every few days from broken roots/leaves. Under proper conditions, the lettuce will bounce back and spread pretty quickly. I have 2 big HOBs and a powerhead and my lettuce stays put.
    your friendly neighbourhood arowanaman!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a cory to start your AC Tank off ! - Brookfish   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Crispy
    Water lettuce needs LOTS of light. I have a few huge ones that keep all the smaller one's from drifting around. You'll find that you'll be cleaning your filter intakes every few days from broken roots/leaves. Under proper conditions, the lettuce will bounce back and spread pretty quickly. I have 2 big HOBs and a powerhead and my lettuce stays put.
    Damn, the pretty ones are always high maintenance
    55 gallon community tank
    10 platies
    2 guppies
    a few guppy and platy fry
    7 zebra danios
    6 panda corys
    2 skunk corys
    4 elegant corys
    hornwart, crypt, java moss, a couple of small melon swords

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

A cup of coffee to get you going on that build. - Strider199   Merry xmas! - ScottishFish   Merry Christmas - mommy1   Happy New Year - mommy1   Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gramazing
    They are fairly high maintenance... I prune off dying leaves and such twice a week.
    your friendly neighbourhood arowanaman!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

here ya go! - Agassizii   good luck with the cycle! - wolf_eyes   might as well get  some  now  ...you'll have  it  soon enough  lol - bushwhacker   have a gift! - Agassizii   yay, time to add fish! - Lab_Rat   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gramazing

damn i was somewhat excited about possibly getting one of these...damn the maintenance =/
    55G Community tank, in progress
    -Aquaclear 110 HoB
    -10 Black skirt tetra
    Future :
    Harlequin Rasboras, Bolivian Rams, Panda Cory cats,

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need gifts - Lady Hobbs   And another - Lady Hobbs   What he had up his --- - Chrona   No, serioulsy. EVERYONE KICK HIM! - Drumachine09   RAK - DemonShark   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - gm72   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - gm72   

0 Not allowed!
    I use straws put together to keep it where I want it.
    8 tanks running now:
    1x 220 gallon, 2x55 gallon, 1x40 gallon long, 1x29 gallon, 1x20 gallon long, 1x5.5 gallon, 1x2 gallon
    Gouramis, barbs, rasboras, plecos, corys, tetras, fancy guppies, swordtails, ottos, rainbow shark, upside-down catfish, snails, and Max and Sparkles the bettas.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Ahhh ya got me! - Trillianne   Restocking your pond - Trillianne   Rep Message:  Thanks for the giggle!  Am still snickering. - Rhaethe   A little less toxic! Lol - Kayfish   Thanks for the rep - Cliff   

0 Not allowed!
    fishing line works great for holding plants in place.you can tape it somewhere above the water line and wrap it around. Had to do it in my pond to keep the lettuce and the hyacinth out of the waterfall.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

First fish for your AC Aquarium! - Brookfish   Fronts do better in groups, - Brookfish   Have one from me too :-) - Celtic Fins   Thought you could use another. - mattsbottleofjager   Thanks for playing - Celtic Fins   
    Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - violet   

0 Not allowed!
    LOL... you guys crack me up. I just stick with the easy plants although I've been thinking of doing the water lettuce ... hmmmm maybe I wonte now.