· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - gadget228   Happy New Year - mommy1   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Aeonflame   

Default Any candiru in the house?

0 Not allowed!
    Just wondering if anyone here has kept candiru before. I'm sure you all know this is the fish that burrows into the gills of other fish and feeds on their blood. It's also the fish that has a reputation of swimming into human urethras.
    <-- Click for journals
    "There is no right way to do the wrong thing." - KingFisher "Only bad things happen fast in this hobby" - Cliff Boo train boo train boo train boo train woohoo

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

ya needed one - korith   for being super sweet - Lynn Conroy   I told you I'd use it well ;-) - DragonWatch   Something for your tank,  and for being a good sport. - Brookfish   Happy Saint Patricks Day! - Brookfish   
    Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - lobsternoob   

0 Not allowed!
    I've seen them once at a large auction/show a long time back, think they were just their for curiosity sake, not even for sale. I don't think they get imported often due to the fact that they aren't all that interesting looking or colorful, they obviously aren't community fish, and fear due to their burrowing legends.

You never know though, someone here on the AC might have them.
    No matter how much I learn or know I'm still gonna be a NOOB, but that doesn't mean I'm an idiot!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

congrats on MOTM! - Jacko   Another round for my friends - mommy1   Another day, another round for my friends. - mommy1   After all that virtual alcohol it's time to sober up with some virtual food - mommy1   Thanks for your kind words in my blog, it really dose help - Cliff   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - The Red Severum   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - The Red Severum   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - The Red Severum   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - The Red Severum   HIV/AIDS - The Red Severum   

0 Not allowed!
    I want one, never seen any for sale though.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - gadget228   Happy New Year - mommy1   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Aeonflame   

0 Not allowed!
    I'm wondering how you would feed it. Maybe feeder goldfish? Seems kinda cruel though.
    <-- Click for journals
    "There is no right way to do the wrong thing." - KingFisher "Only bad things happen fast in this hobby" - Cliff Boo train boo train boo train boo train woohoo

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

ya needed one - korith   for being super sweet - Lynn Conroy   I told you I'd use it well ;-) - DragonWatch   Something for your tank,  and for being a good sport. - Brookfish   Happy Saint Patricks Day! - Brookfish   

0 Not allowed!
    It would be fine with bits of fresh meat im sure, prolly be pretty messy tho, and wasteful.
    No matter how much I learn or know I'm still gonna be a NOOB, but that doesn't mean I'm an idiot!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by lobsternoob
    It would be fine with bits of fresh meat im sure, prolly be pretty messy tho, and wasteful.
    I believe they feed on blood, which means they would need a live host to trigger the feeding response
    <-- Click for journals

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I saw one of those nature shows on them, cant remember if it was Discovery or NGC they were catching em with dead fish and hunks of meat, I think they'd just have to be hungry enough.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill   Happy New year - Celtic Fins   May the Anti troll force be with you. - Celtic Fins   2001 posts! - Northernguy   For your helpful fry advice - Cliff   

0 Not allowed!
    There are different species of catfish called candiru (common name along the Amazon apparently), and also more than one species of parasitic bloodsucking catfish. I would imagine you could get one or another species of candiru if you hooked up with the right importer.

^^^Please click the eggs/dragons, thanks...^^

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome aboard! - Mith   Welcome to AC! - Brookfish   here ya go! - Agassizii   

0 Not allowed!
    Note to self: Stay on Aeonflame's good side!!!
    x^2=x

"The question is not how to continue to do what we have been doing
    but how best to achieve our objectives under new circumstances."
    -David Friedman, Future Imperfect

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

A neon for your tank! There were no platys. lol - Northernguy   Thanks for the help with those zombies - Northernguy   Right on. - Wild Turkey   Congrats on your award! - Brookfish   you need more gifts! - The Red Severum   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeonflame
    Just wondering if anyone here has kept candiru before. I'm sure you all know this is the fish that burrows into the gills of other fish and feeds on their blood. It's also the fish that has a reputation of swimming into human urethras.
    Oh god the candiru, one of the key players in my ongoing debate about whether australia or South america is scarier. (Africa is like the child caught in the middle of the debate, except in this case that small child is capable of ripping you to shreds in under 5 seconds.)

(I should also note that that candiru has only had one reported incident of it attacking somebody, however give the fact that its method of attacking involves swimming into fish gills and using spines to peirce the flesh and latch itself firmly in where it proceeds to feast on the blood of its prey and given where it is supposed to attak, one incident is enough)
    SIX OR MORE MAN TO THE RESCUE!