· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome to the A.C fellow Dutchy  xxxx - Fishalicious   Happy Valentines Day xxx - Fishalicious   thanks for the nomination :) - shalafi04   thanks for the tubes!!! - sharkbite   Hope your little gal is better soon xxxx - Fishalicious   

Default Competition Behaviour

0 Not allowed!
    It's come to my attention that some folks are either sharing their current or possible comp entry photos in the chat room or perhaps soliciting votes for their photos or for the MOTM contest in the chat room or by pm's. I must admit that I don't understand why some folks seek to ruin the fairness of the monthly competitions. What happened to a sense of fair play, winning on merit, effort, and skill?

We've made a number of changes to the competitions to ensure that everyone is getting a fair chance at winning a medal and points, i.e., for photography skill, fishkeeping skill, or aquascaping skill, not for popularity skills. I spend a lot of time and energy each month behind the scenes to make these contests fun and successful. I dont mind, because I think you enjoy them as much as I do. However, there is no way I'm going to spend any of my valuable free time supporting popularity contests. I have never liked them and never supported them.

If the majority of you would prefer to have popularity contests, in what ever guise, then I'll tell William that he'll need to find another person to run these comps for you.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

congrats on MOTM! - Jacko   Another round for my friends - mommy1   Another day, another round for my friends. - mommy1   After all that virtual alcohol it's time to sober up with some virtual food - mommy1   Thanks for your kind words in my blog, it really dose help - Cliff   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - The Red Severum   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - The Red Severum   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - The Red Severum   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - The Red Severum   HIV/AIDS - The Red Severum   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteDevil
    these competitors might be Illinois Politicians.
    I guess I wasent the only one thinking that
    Im sorry this stuff is happening :(

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy New Year - mommy1   Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA   Good Morning :-) - Taurus   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Just to let you know I'm thinking about you. Better things will come. - Taurus   
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - MCHRKiller   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - MCHRKiller   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - MCHRKiller   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - MCHRKiller   Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - MCHRKiller   

0 Not allowed!
    Im a regular of the chat atleast 3-4 times per week, and Ive never seen anyone soliciting votes for any competition out of their friends in there. At most somebody will post a new photo and others will comment "that would be a good pic to enter in whatever comp, you should do it" and others will agree or whatever. But its never been a direct, "hey go vote for me or whatever" that I have seen.
    3x75 gallons|1x55 gallon|2x40 gallons

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

here's your first algae! - Lady Hobbs   more fishies - Lady Hobbs   needs a friend - Lady Hobbs   Wait... you have THAT 210 and no discus gifts yet???   :) - harpua2002   No Message - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Red Severum
    I guess I wasent the only one thinking that
    Im sorry this stuff is happening :(
    100% sad but true.

Seems Quinn is backpedaling now as well.

I run my own site and know that PM's can be traced, if someone is cheating then make it known and ban them from competitions. I think we are all adults here.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your award! - Brookfish   Congrats on your award! - Brookfish   Congrats on your award! - Brookfish   Thanks for profiles - William   Profiles and being generally awesome. - William   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Oscar_freak12321   

0 Not allowed!
    WhiteDevil, you have made a very good point. I haven't received any PMs concerning the comps save for that my entries were received, and I rarely go into the chat room.
    the statement below is false
    the statement above is true
    which one is true?
    Got a small tank? Check out Fishalicious' small fish list! http://fishaliciousfish.blogspot.com...-for-nano.html
    Got a big fish you just can't handle? Check out Monster Fish Rescue! http://www.monsterfishrescue.com/

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

here's your first algae! - Lady Hobbs   more fishies - Lady Hobbs   needs a friend - Lady Hobbs   Wait... you have THAT 210 and no discus gifts yet???   :) - harpua2002   No Message - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    I might throw a pic or two into a competition but Im not in it for kudos I am in it for the science and passion of the hobby.

I dont make good points often but cheating is one of my big pet peeves, if you cant win it on your own, dont enter.( I used to street race for a number of years and well cheating is a way of life hence what got me out of it)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Member of the month, a toast is in order. - Strider199   Sorry about your blood parrot :-( - ~firefly~   For this; http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=111325 - Strider199   :-) - ~firefly~   Happy mother's day! Enjoy one on me LOL - imma24   
    Childhood Cancer - hobbs   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - hobbs   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Lady Hobbs   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Lady Hobbs   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    Fins is doing a great job at these comps and he's right, it can be very disheartening to run contests when cheating is going on. It's disheartening, as well, when you see the same people winning month after month because soon others do not even try to enter.

Fins is also right on when he says a great deal of time goes into these comps "behind the scenes." It helps a great deal if people would enter their photos according to the comp rules.........such as sized correctly. We are dealing with only one photo and Fins is dealing with a 100 or more so let's give him a helping hand and deliver our own photos to him resized. Rules are stated clearly. It's also stated clearly that cheaters will be banned from future comps.

Three people have run the comps now in the last 3 1/2 years. We do not want to loose another person due to unnecessary stress put on them.

Let's please play fair, read the comp rules, resize as you are asked and let's enjoy the comps rather than just stressing Fins out and cheating on our fellow forum members.

Thank you

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on the awards! - Northernguy   Active! - Wild Turkey   Really nice Syno pic! - Brookfish   Merry Christmas ! - Northernguy   Have a great Christmas! - Demi ^_^   

0 Not allowed!
    Ditto!....and remember that you really should vote for the best photo...a vote that's based on picture quality and photographer skill and talent. Sometimes it's easy to vote for yuor favourite person's pic, or even a pic of your favourite fish...Not really fair though!
    Sharon

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

A neon for your tank! There were no platys. lol - Northernguy   Thanks for the help with those zombies - Northernguy   Right on. - Wild Turkey   Congrats on your award! - Brookfish   you need more gifts! - The Red Severum   

0 Not allowed!
    As a regular member of the chat I and a person who will never enter a comp (I also don't vote on any comps except for MOTM) I have to say I've never seen a person do that in the chat.

I have seen people post pictures of their new pic up and down the chat and we have then encouraged that person that their pic was good and could go in a comp but I assumed encouraging people was a good thing so that we could get more people who otherwise wouldn't enter a comp.

I know that the competition talked about most is XTMO because several members of the chat are entering so people are rather excited and they talk about the different things they will do for it but I have never seen somebody ask for votes.

I have seen people talk about the comp voting and talk who they think is going to win but I have never seen people ask for votes.

I once asked which one of my photos was the best one for a competition I was entering, but that contest was a contest In real life, not on AC.

I do know of somebody who is soliciting votes by PM, but they have never been to the chat.

Now there is always the possiblity that whenever I leave they start talking about the comps but that seems less likely.
    Last edited by Lady Hobbs; 09-02-2009 at 03:48 PM.
    SIX OR MORE MAN TO THE RESCUE!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Member of the month, a toast is in order. - Strider199   Sorry about your blood parrot :-( - ~firefly~   For this; http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=111325 - Strider199   :-) - ~firefly~   Happy mother's day! Enjoy one on me LOL - imma24   
    Childhood Cancer - hobbs   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - hobbs   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Lady Hobbs   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Lady Hobbs   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    I do know of somebody who is soliciting votes by PM, but they have never been to the chat.
    This is what this thread is about. Soliciting votes. Doing so in PM's is no better than in chat.